Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we do not go up it will be because we lack a clinical finisher

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ashley Barnes is not a bad lad to come off the bench but the way we are playing (with Murray dropping into the space our deep-sitting central midfield leave between the forwards and their midfield to collect the ball) Murray is not going to get in too many goalscoring positions.

Which is of course fine if you have a centre forward who will score one chance in less than six.

I honestly think Barnes is an ok squad player. But Sandaza looks poor. Early days for sure and fingers crossed he comes good.

But I just don't see where our Austin, Beckford, Holt or Maclean is.

In tight games we will rue not having that goal-scorer we all know we are missing.

Still - musn't grumble too much like. Just that last week and this week we could have sown the game up with a proper goal-grabber.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
murray looked good today..........we are top of the league and were robbed by the team in 3rd spot..........try and have some perspective .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Unfortunately Harold Shipman is dead , he'd put 'em away for us :blush:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Quite possibly but the service today to the front two was poor.

True, but Barnes did have two clear cut chances and one when he tried to chest it down six yards out instead of just sticking his bonce on it.

Again, I am not saying he is terrible. Certainly better than the likes of Gary Hart et al that we would be playing instead.

But - is he good enough to play centre forward in a top two side? I am not so sure about that. Better than Sandaza though...

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
True, but Barnes did have two clear cut chances and one when he tried to chest it down six yards out instead of just sticking his bonce on it.

Again, I am not saying he is terrible. Certainly better than the likes of Gary Hart et al that we would be playing instead.

But - is he good enough to play centre forward in a top two side? I am not so sure about that. Better than Sandaza though...

I'm sure we would all like the finished article up front who is goint tgo get 20-25 goals but we have'nt.

Murray's all round game is much better and contibutes each game now with his all round play. Barnes is young and still not the finished article but will hopefully get into double figures.

Can't see why people want to bash him for this? Is there money to buy a proven goalscorer at this level this season?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am not bashing Barnes. As I said, he would be a good squad player.

And Murray is my favourite player and, I think, key to almost everything good about the Albion going forward.

And obviously we are top and all is rosey.

But we have had ALL summer to find a decent goal-scorer. I just hope we don't fall foul of our inability to find one.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think Poyet again referred to this in his after match interview..... maybe he is cranking up the pressure for funds to be released to go get one

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I am not bashing Barnes. As I said, he would be a good squad player.

And Murray is my favourite player and, I think, key to almost everything good about the Albion going forward.

And obviously we are top and all is rosey.

But we have had ALL summer to find a decent goal-scorer. I just hope we don't fall foul of our inability to find one.

Do we have the funds thow to buy a player of this pedigree based on the budgets playing at withdean allow and what other clubs want for their players?

I'm sure money will be more available at Falmer given the increase in turnover.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Think Poyet again referred to this in his after match interview..... maybe he is cranking up the pressure for funds to be released to go get one

He had all summer to find one and has said Sandaza was someone he identified as fitting the bill.

Sandaza however looks a bit shit.

I worry Poyet is a great coach. A really good coach. But not quite as good a judge of goalscorers...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Do we have the funds thow to buy a player of this pedigree based on the budgets playing at withdean allow and what other clubs want for their players?

I'm sure money will be more available at Falmer given the increase in turnover.

We sold Crofts, released players, have a few off the wage bill out on loan. Spent £300k on Dickinson and £150k on Davies pre-Bloom (I think...) when we were even more skint.

If you have limited funds you balance them as best you can. If we only had X amount - maybe don't sign Barnes, the Norwegian fella, a goalkeeper we don't need, both Argentinians or Sandaza - or a combination of them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let's have the name of the player we could have signed please Ritchie, I think you are expecting us to have spent over 1million?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Let's have the name of the player we could have signed please Ritchie, I think you are expecting us to have spent over 1million?

Nope, certainly not over a million.

Calderon is an superb right back but was free. You don't have to spend a shed load to get the right player.

And I am not privy to a scouting network and contacts within the game.

I am just saying that lacking a clinical striker could end up costing us big time. I don't think anyone can honestly disagree with that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
murray looked good today..........we are top of the league and were robbed by the team in 3rd spot..........try and have some perspective .

Murray wins virtually everything however his first touch can let him down.

Playing seriously good football at present.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

That's the problem with you lot - no ambition. I don't see any reason why we can't sign a player for over 5 Million :wink:

*edit* and if we continue as we have started and do go up, what should we blame that on ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope, certainly not over a million.

Calderon is an superb right back but was free. You don't have to spend a shed load to get the right player.

And I am not privy to a scouting network and contacts within the game.

I am just saying that lacking a clinical striker could end up costing us big time. I don't think anyone can honestly disagree with that.[/Q

Calderon is a defender, different kettle of fish. Let's put it another way, which striker that joined a League 1 club pre season should we have signed?

It's all very well saying you don't have the contacts but maybe there weren't any of these 20 goal a season strikers available. My money's on that, not that Gus has f***ed up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here