Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we do go down?

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i feel we will go down if we dont change our home form because that will send us down and i feel we need to change our formation and go for it in games and at times we are so boring to watch and if we do go down i dont feel we will come straight back up might take a couple of seasons to get back in the championship.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
1 point off bottom 3. We could go down but they will still pull between 16000 to 30,000 for home games. When will the Albion to have a team to match the support?

Lol. We on that one again. Its like a company getting the union they deserve, parents get the kids they deserve, the fans gets the club they deserve. Or should it be the club get the fans they deserve. I don't know, probably shouldn't have started this one!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
1 point off bottom 3. We could go down but they will still pull between 16000 to 30,000 for home games. When will the Albion to have a team to match the support?

What is our average crowd since we joined the Football League?. How do you think it compares to, say, Crystal. Palace?

Feb 14, 2010
What is our average crowd since we joined the Football League?. How do you think it compares to, say, Crystal. Palace?

What you mean a club who spent the last 30 odd years playing Man U in the Premier league at Selhurst instead of Rochdale 150 mile round trip at Gillingham and then Withdean in the lower leagues? Please explain why you think a bold average is anything more than a mildly relevant point because I would have thought you would have to included the league playing in, capacity of the ground, how well a team is doing, historical and recent success into the calculation. As is very common, BHA will have the best or one of the best supports for the division we play in and better than clubs in divisions above us (as we do now and as you mention them, better than palace's. Last season the 11th best in the country, currently the 18th best in the country despite playing second tier football badly). If we go down we will have between 16000 to 30000 turn up for games, just as we did on the third div south days. Therefore why do you rail against the simple question that is; when will the Albion have a team to match the support?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
What you mean a club who spent the last 30 odd years playing Man U in the Premier league at Selhurst instead of Rochdale 150 mile round trip at Gillingham and then Withdean in the lower leagues? Please explain why you think a bold average is anything more than a mildly relevant point because I would have thought you would have to included the league playing in, capacity of the ground, how well a team is doing, historical and recent success into the calculation. As is very common, BHA will have the best or one of the best supports for the division we play in and better than clubs in divisions above us (as we do now and as you mention them, better than palace's. Last season the 11th best in the country, currently the 18th best in the country despite playing second tier football badly). If we go down we will have between 16000 to 30000 turn up for games, just as we did on the third div south days. Therefore why do you rail against the simple question that is; when will the Albion have a team to match the support?

I 'rail' against it because it's simply not true.

Albion, like ANY team, will have increased crowds if we are doing well, and shit crowds when we are not. It's the way it works.

Just for info, we averaged over 15,000 just six times in Div 3(S).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nope, every game at the Amex will be a cup final for the other teams and we'll try to do it on the cheap too, just like we do now.

Given that we outspend 14 or 15 of the other clubs in the division on players wages and fees, how are we doing it "on the cheap" ?

Feb 14, 2010
I 'rail' against it because it's simply not true.

Albion, like ANY team, will have increased crowds if we are doing well, and shit crowds when we are not. It's the way it works.

Just for info, we averaged over 15,000 just six times in Div 3(S).

It is true, for the success and the teams we played against we have a support that is better than the performance on the pitch. Its a shame I dont have that graph as it explains the point I make very well. Brighton will as they often did will have the best or one of the best supports for the division they play in and more than many clubs in a division above. As we do now, the 18th best supported club in the country despite our position, and last season the 11th best in the country. It was the same in 70's. In the 50s and 60's the albion had no success but could always pull a crowd if the club had a look in of mild lower league success. As a matter of interest what do you think BHA will pull next season if we go down,, just for the record?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Feb 14, 2010
Brightons average attendances each season/position in the league etc since 1921 is listed here
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bha.htm

Not many seasons in the top flight, and well no successful season in the top flight in all those years. One Charity Shield is all we have to show for it plus a losing cup final. Shockingly bad. Wigan, Wimbledon, Palace, QPR, Bury, the list goes on of more successful clubs than us. Shockingly poor performance on the pitch. When will it change?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given that we outspend 14 or 15 of the other clubs in the division on players wages and fees, how are we doing it "on the cheap" ?

By not buying players, just borrowing them, therefore no long term commitment. We also seem to play the loan players and have had to juggle the squad to accommodate half the team being loanees.The ones we have taken on loan this season mostly came from Prem clubs and I don't think clubs are as willing to fund loans as they were before, but I have no inside knowledge. The fact that the club are saying we are spending more than ever would suggest we are paying most of the loans as I can't see big wage earners from the signings we've made. The ones we buy are cheap by division standards, Stockdale and Baldock being the exceptions. This after a year we have raked in around 15 million in sales. I can only imagine even more cost cutting next year with no sales to fund players, even if we stay in this division. End up in League One and it'll be worse.

Either that or we are doing very poor business in comparison to other Championship clubs, which seems strange as we keep being told that we are a really well run club in all fields. Make of it what you will.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
By not buying players, just borrowing them. The ones we have taken on loan this season mostly came from Prem clubs and I don't think clubs are as willing to fund loans as they were before, but I have no inside knowledge. The fact that the club are saying we are spending more than ever would suggest we are paying most of the loans as I can't see big wage earners from the signings we've made. The ones we buy are cheap by division standards, Stockdale and Baldock being the exceptions. This after a year we have raked in around 15 million in sales. I can only imagine even more cost cutting next year with no sales to fund players, even if we stay in this division. End up in League One and it'll be worse.

Either that or we are doing very poor business in comparison to other Championship clubs and we are supposed to be a really well run club.

But our squad and our wage bill doesn't go on borrowing players. Putting aside injuries, who gets picked and the quality of our signings our wage bill funds a first team squad where, gulp....
Bruno, Stephens, Greer, Hughes, Crofts, Baldock, Agustien, O Grady, CMS, Stockdale, Chicksen, Walton, Ankergren, JFC, Holla, McCourt, Ince, Fenelon, March, Kayal are all contracted players. Thats 20 players (you could also argue Glen Rea as well) of which 6 or 7 of this squad, the younger ones and Bruno/Greer have recently had improved contracts/ie: big wage increases.

We also have (at any one time) 4-5 loanees..currently Best, Bennett, Teixera, Ledesma and Halford.
So i'm really perplexed how does Tony Bloom's asssertion that we have the highest wage bill in history, a first team squad of 21 contracted players and most evidence suggesting we outspend most of the other teams in the Championship lead you to conclude that its because we've "borrowed" players.
So...
1) we're certainly not doing things on the "cheap" "penny pinching" when it comes to the playing budget - the accounts say that, the club say that, independent observers who pore over our accounts say that.
2) We've not spent all the players budget on loanees - we have 21 or so (count 'em) contracted players which is where the lions sum of the money self evidently goes on wages. .
3) Our fees are comparable to other clubs in the division (given that most real figures are never quoted anyway and newspapers often report vastly inflated figures that exaggerate actual fees) - Baldock and Stockdale were the 3rd and 4th biggest fees we've paid for players in our history.
4) and No we haven't spent all of the money from Bridcutt, Ulloa and Buckley on transfer fees...But then most clubs in our position don't and we're still losing £10m a year remember.

But your final point "we are doing very poor business compared to Championship clubs".
Yes . Agreed. Our business (not all of it) is clearly not been a success given that we're 21st in the table. Which is why Tony Bloom sacked the bloke responsible for that on Christmas Eve.

And agreed "We're supposed to be a well run club" - We are.
Look at the state our opponents this afternoon have got themselves into for one of many examples where there but for the grace of Tony Bloom and his £205m, things could be a hell of a lot worse...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But our squad and our wage bill doesn't go on borrowing players. Putting aside injuries, who gets picked and the quality of our signings our wage bill funds a first team squad where, gulp....
Bruno, Stephens, Greer, Hughes, Crofts, Baldock, Agustien, O Grady, CMS, Stockdale, Chicksen, Walton, Ankergren, JFC, Holla, McCourt, Ince, Fenelon, March, Kayal are all contracted players. Thats 20 players (you could also argue Glen Rea as well) of which 6 or 7 of this squad, the younger ones and Bruno/Greer have recently had improved contracts/ie: big wage increases.

We also have (at any one time) 4-5 loanees..currently Best, Bennett, Teixera, Ledesma and Halford.
So i'm really perplexed how does Tony Bloom's asssertion that we have the highest wage bill in history, a first team squad of 21 contracted players and most evidence suggesting we outspend most of the other teams in the Championship lead you to conclude that its because we've "borrowed" players.
So...
1) we're certainly not doing things on the "cheap" "penny pinching" when it comes to the playing budget - the accounts say that, the club say that, independent observers who pore over our accounts say that.
2) We've not spent all the players budget on loanees - we have 21 or so (count 'em) contracted players which is where the lions sum of the money self evidently goes on wages. .
3) Our fees are comparable to other clubs in the division (given that most real figures are never quoted anyway and newspapers often report vastly inflated figures that exaggerate actual fees) - Baldock and Stockdale were the 3rd and 4th biggest fees we've paid for players in our history.
4) and No we haven't spent all of the money from Bridcutt, Ulloa and Buckley on transfer fees...But then most clubs in our position don't and we're still losing £10m a year remember.

But your final point "we are doing very poor business compared to Championship clubs".
Yes . Agreed. Our business (not all of it) is clearly not been a success given that we're 21st in the table. Which is why Tony Bloom sacked the bloke responsible for that on Christmas Eve.

And agreed "We're supposed to be a well run club" - We are.
Look at the state our opponents this afternoon have got themselves into for one of many examples where there but for the grace of Tony Bloom and his £205m, things could be a hell of a lot worse...

You make some good points!

I am completely flummoxed as to how we have got ourselves into a situation where we are paying the players you have listed above more than we paid the VASTLY superior squad, in almost every position, that were here in Poyet's last year. I just cannot get my head around it...and can only conclude that somewhere down the line somebody has fecked up big time. It not all Burke's fault, it can't be.

Feb 14, 2010
You make some good points!

I am completely flummoxed as to how we have got ourselves into a situation where we are paying the players you have listed above more than we paid the VASTLY superior squad, in almost every position, that were here in Poyet's last year. I just cannot get my head around it...and can only conclude that somewhere down the line somebody has fecked up big time. It not all Burke's fault, it can't be.

Its the Albion, they never have got the team right.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If we did go down, it would be the biggest day in years for some -- only some, but a non-trivial moiety -- NSC posters.

They'll derive more pleasure from a sense of vindication than they ever would from, say, reaching, but losing in, the playoffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here