Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"If We Can Beat Brighton We Can Beat Anyone!"

Beaker66

Feb 26, 2011
Bexhill
This quote came from a very excited Hastings United fan at full time on Saturday.
When their third goal went in I thought their exuberant celebrations were tongue in cheek. How wrong I was! They really were absolutely ecstatic.

I should point out that when the Albion are playing away at somewhere grim up North I do go and support Hastings, the town of my birth. However, on Saturday I left the ground asking myself a few questions:

1. Was this the biggest over reaction ever by opposing supporters to a Brighton so-called defeat?

2. Should I have stopped and congratulated those supporters but explained that by the time they scored their first goal the Albion first team had all been substituted and were busy signing autographs in front of the main stand while the "team" they beat were a bunch of triallists plus some of the development squad or......

3. Stopped, shouted out "B*ll*&ks, get a life you muppets" and walked off laughing?

Would anyone care to advise me as to what suitable action I should have taken?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Or,

4) join in with the celebrations as I did, singing loudly and proudly 'we love you Hastings we do, we love you Hastings we do, oh Hastings we love you!'

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Definitely a bit of an over reaction. Apart from Kuszczak there were no 1st teamers on the pitch from when they scored their 1st. Hell, there were even only a handful of development squad players playing so it would be difficult to even argue they were playing 'Brighton & Hove Albion'!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Clap the players of for a cracking couple of goals. At the end of the day the team they beat were trying to earn a contract at a Championship club, or have development contracts at a Championship Club so I still thinks its impressive considering one of our players earns more in a year than the whole turnover of the club, probably double the turnover of Hastings.

But at the end of the day it really doesn't mean anything. I thought the celebrations were nice and it'll be a boost for them for sure.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Or how about "Take it on the chin and let them have their fun". That would be my choice, because the result of a pre-season friendly means absolutely nothing to me.

Edit: Beaten to it, great minds and all that!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
These people live in Hastings, that's bad enough for them.

Let them have their moment.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
At the opposite end we too joined in the celebrations with a rendition of 'It's just like watching Bexhill' as their third goal went in!

For them it was a great win, this time last year Arsenal sent their development squad down and won 6-0, and the last season was a relegation fight - so to actual win and score goals against a Brighton team is something for them to celebrate.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
They scored 3 goals against a "team" of triallists and youth players. 2 of the goals were absolute crackers. Maybe they should remember they were actually losing to the full strength team !!

But yeah its a good win for them, let them celebrate.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
i personally let them have their moment, this is before / during and after i was copping loads of banter from them.

i was getting slinky slinky what's the score. and Slinky's gone all quiet, can you hear Slinky sing etc. I just Laughed and let them have their moment.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Would the reaction be just the same on here if you beat Chelsea ?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Would the reaction be just the same on here if you beat Chelsea ?

If we beat their reserves/triallists? No.
First team? Most definitely.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
These people live in Hastings, that's bad enough for them.

Let them have their moment.

That reminds me, after the chants of "Hastings til I die", some bloke infront of me said "That's not a good thing!" :thumbsup:

As a Pilot Field regular, I do think they'll finish in a better position (Especially if Vickers, the little striker and the right back sign), but as for being world beaters? I think not!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Was the open top bus parade yesterday any good?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They scored 3 goals against a "team" of triallists and youth players. 2 of the goals were absolute crackers. Maybe they should remember they were actually losing to the full strength team !!

Untrue. They drew 0-0 with the 'full strength team'. It was the first two 'triallists and youth players' who came on, that scored our goals...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Or,

4) join in with the celebrations as I did, singing loudly and proudly 'we love you Hastings we do, we love you Hastings we do, oh Hastings we love you!'

Good on you mate. Hastings is a f***ing dump...but it's your f***ing dump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here