If the Referendum had been PR v FPTP

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
i beg to differ. i for one voted NO to AV but would have voted YES to PR

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps we could have head to heads to decide the league instead of points? so we can all win

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Today's result has made abundantly clear that the country has absolutely no appetite for electoral reform. We have a system which, for all its flaws, makes good sense to the majority. It is simple, it retains the crucial constituency link and it has a proven track record. Now can we please more away from the self-indulgent whining of the left that this country is desperate for reform or has some kind of dreadful democratic deficit. You have your answer. Move on.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Today's result has made abundantly clear that the country has absolutely no appetite for electoral reform. We have a system which, for all its flaws, makes good sense to the majority. It is simple, it retains the crucial constituency link and it has a proven track record. Now can we please more away from the self-indulgent whining of the left that this country is desperate for reform or has some kind of dreadful democratic deficit. You have your answer. Move on.
I totally agree, in a system that rarely attracts half the electorate anyway it was bad enough in the council elections having three voices yesterday plus two further Town. Can someone explain why there are somany wards inBrighton and hove and each has three cllrs

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
So you want PR but you prefer FPTP to AV? Why?

Because AV is just so ridiculous. Its such a mild change and makes hardly any difference and can lead to your 3rd or 4th choice candidate getting elected. I know its not really what your meant to be voting for but i voted No as I think it would make Nick Clegg very very upset and with David Camerons bullying personality he will rub it in and it will be the beginning of the end for this nonsense of a coalition

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
By wanting PR that suggests you support a party or parties other than the Conservatives or Labour. Other than the BNP and Communists, the rest were all in support in AV. Sure, it's not a proportional system but it allows people to vote sincerely and a small improvement on FPTP is still an improvement.

As for whether you agree on the system's method of election, that's down to personal opinion and no system is perfect. Personally I'd rather have a winning candidate that the majority liked, than one that a minority wanted most of all but the rest did not want.

I can understand why PR supporters think poorly of AV, but in the interest of their parties they want to support in most cases it is slightly beneficial over FPTP, so it's better than no change in my view.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I support PR and Labour, i guess i am just a confused 21 year old

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
By wanting PR that suggests you support a party or parties other than the Conservatives or Labour. Other than the BNP and Communists, the rest were all in support in AV. Sure, it's not a proportional system but it allows people to vote sincerely and a small improvement on FPTP is still an improvement.

I can understand why PR supporters think poorly of AV, but in the interest of their parties they want to support in most cases it is slightly beneficial over FPTP, so it's better than no change in my view.

I voted Green but no to AV (but would have voted Yes to PR). My thinking was that AV made so little difference that it wasn't worth having and that would be that for the next 50 years, I think PR will raise its head again - maybe in 10 or 15 years time.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I voted Green but no to AV (but would have voted Yes to PR). My thinking was that AV made so little difference that it wasn't worth having and that would be that for the next 50 years, I think PR will raise its head again - maybe in 10 or 15 years time.

Labour offered PR to the Lib Dems in their coaliton negotiations i read so i agree it will crop up again in a decades time

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
really dont think you can say for sure. but i do beleive that if PR had been proposed, it would have been a lot closer. i dont agree with it (mainly because it puts too much power in the central party) but the arguements for PR are much more sensible and consistant.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham

this

I voted no but would have voted yes to pr. I feel that with a no vote you'll get another chance for it in 15- 20 years. with a yes vote the impetus would be to try it out for a few elections before even thinking of moving to pr. that would end up being 50 years.

Also I wanted the lib dems to get nothing from betraying their voters.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What difference does it make? In sport if you finish first you are the winner aren't you? Why manipulate a result by saying oh you won but more people liked the second placed geezer. Jeeeze I wish they'd let it lie.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What difference does it make? In sport if you finish first you are the winner aren't you? Why manipulate a result by saying oh you won but more people liked the second placed geezer. Jeeeze I wish they'd let it lie.

Why do people keep using a sporting metaphor ? You don't vote to get someone over a finish line.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why do people keep using a sporting metaphor ? You don't vote to get someone over a finish line.

You don't? So the winner isn't the winner? Sorry you've confused me.

New 'metaphor' ... 3 of the 4 judges on Shyte Factor vote for someone, one doesn't... do they go through? I think they do ... so new metaphor... panel voting as opposed to sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here