Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"If the fans want Brighton to change our style of play.."

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Agreed 100%.

Twelve months ago we were 21st in the table, had conceded 20 goals in 11 matches, of which we had won........two. We had already lost four games at home

The fans criticised the players, board (for not dipping hands into pockets) and management for the style of play.

Today we are TOP of the league by three points, have conceded 8 goals in 11 games, of which we have won six and are undefeated at home.

The fans criticise the players, board (for not dipping hands into pockets) and management for the style of play.

Plus ca change

You forgot to mention that we're averaging 2 points a game-more than enough for a play off spot.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What concerns me most is that these morons have probably sown the first seed of doubt in Gus's mind about his feelings for the club. It's the sort of thing that, three months down the line when we're still top, might just make him think about going should he get an offer. The guy has transformed us in every single department, but if he's still got to put up with some twats in a temporary stand shouting at him then who could blame him for not feeling the loyalty we'd perhaps like.

TCB hits nail on head. It was my first visit to Withers under Gus yesterday and I was staggered by the negativity around me.

We do ideally need to find an alternative to the Casper, Tommy, Bomber triangle at times, but at least we are not conceding goals for fun.

If Gus succeeds and does a runner it will be for the chance to work at a higher level I suspect, not because of the moaners, but the sense of cringing embarrassment I had yesterday was not something you want to have repeated too often.

As fans we can make a very small difference, and that can be either positive or negative, away from home under Gus it seems to be positive, but at the Theatre of Cocoa.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
There was one bloke 3rd seat in and third row back in block D right next to E Kept shouthing the whole f***ing game every time we tried to play the passing game, I'm pretty sure he booed.

If your reading this you bald C**T :tosser:

Um, why not make your comments to him personally, or do you not have the bottle ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love a good moan, I quite enjoy booing the team off when we're shit and I love it when the manager is under pressure as I sit right behind him. What I'm saying is if there was ANY reason to moan at games I'd be on it. However, I can honestly say that the people booing us when we were knocking it around at the back yesterday as a TOP OF THE LEAGUE side made me more embarrassed than I have ever been at any point in my life. Truly shameful.

Just out of interest did u say anything to them? You come accross somewhat outspoken on here and are one of the posters most people are aware of so I would assume u'd tell them to shut up?

Not having a go at you, i'm just curious as some people have no quarms about telling people they don't know to shut the f*** up when booing etc when it's uncalled for...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was coming from behind me so in tribute to the main man I turned round and did a Gus-style 'hold hands together, look despondent and shake head vigorously' pose. I think I then just said something along the lines of "you'd never believe we're top would you" and left it there. No need to get into a fight over it, but truly pathetic all the same.

Good - We do need people to tell them their wrong :lol:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I notice you never quoted the two lines above that quote, so I'll do it for you...

Because the lines above that quote are pretty much proven as total bollocks given that much of our plays go through Dicker, LuaLua and Bennett.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's down to the boiled cabbage of arrogance that people thinking playing English Third Division football style in the English Third Division will get us out of this division.

Gus is getting us to play in a style so alien to many - i.e. KEEPING THE BALL. I always think of Alan Durban, the then Stoke City manager in about 1980, who commented 'if you want to see entertainment, go to the circus...' So many people don't like the idea of keeping the ball, and more still don't like the idea of playing it around the back, even though (and this is the clincher, which the ignorati still haven't worked out) there is a purpose to it.

For me, Durban's statement was ahead of its time, but he was roundly vilified for it at the time. And so English football continued along its hoofing path for another generation...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It was coming from behind me so in tribute to the main man I turned round and did a Gus-style 'hold hands together, look despondent and shake head vigorously' pose. I think I then just said something along the lines of "you'd never believe we're top would you" and left it there. No need to get into a fight over it, but truly pathetic all the same.

That's good work fella. :clap:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because the lines above that quote are pretty much proven as total bollocks given that much of our plays go through Dicker, LuaLua and Bennett.

Your line is irrelevant to Tom Hark's post.

It's as relevant as if we were discussing the pros and cons of the Barnes-Murray partnership, and you chucked in that line about a point being 'bollocks' as most of our play going through Dicker, LuaLua and Bennett.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
:thumbsup: I don't think many on here do at times...

It's probably the same people who say they find premiership football boring. There must be quite a few who don't actually watch any football other than the Albion, they just don't know any better and don't understand why you pass from one side of the pitch to the other.

Admittedly we don't do it fast enough, if you watch the Man Utd side of two years ago they were amazing at moving the ball from the full back to the opposite midfielder, back to the full back and then into the space which opened up because of moving the ball.

Alot of people don't seem to understand off the ball movement and how it makes space for other players.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well you obviously weren't anywhere near me then, because I'm not exaggerating when I say a LOT of people were full-on booing, and on more than one occasion.

I'm not saying I love to see our defenders knocking it about for two minutes without going anywhere, but if the alternative is losing the ball or hoofing it out of play (something I certainly have spent the last two years moaning about) then I'm more than happy with it. And you know what, I do actually think the link-up between Elphick/El Abd and the midfield is getting quite good. When Gus first brought this in you could see the passing often ended in a hoof, but now Dicker/Radostin do generally find a place to receive the ball, even if it's not instantly.

Great post! :clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Your line is irrelevant to Tom Hark's post.

It's as relevant as if we were discussing the pros and cons of the Barnes-Murray partnership, and you chucked in that line about a point being 'bollocks' as most of our play going through Dicker, LuaLua and Bennett.

It's not irrelevent at all though.

The scenario that THPP references happens about 4 times a game. Big deal. It's the same if you watch the Champions League! It's effective, it tires opponents and ensures we keep possession for as long as possible.s

The majority of our game goes through the midfield. This involves the passing around on the floor which HAS changed our fortunes around.

At the times when the ball has to go in the air, it goes through Murray, and therefore can't be considered 'aimless'.

So yes, my post is "relevant".
And yes, you're definitely both talking bollocks.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I think we need to make it vocally evident that we LOVE the new style of football he is introducing by drowning out the IDIOTS who clearly know nothing about football. If they keep it up is anyone else worried Poyet will just say "sod it, I will go somewhere else where I am appreciated!"

I for one don't want to see the vocal knuckle dragging brainless minority force a brilliant manager away from us!

Next home game we have to cheer the good patient passing game and make everyone aware that THIS IS WHAT WE WANT! :albion2:

This.

Looking through this thread, I love this passing game Gus has implemented. Elphick and El Abd, for example, now look like talented players who are comfortable on the ball rather than just the slogger hoofball centre-backs that Adams and Slade had previously used them as.

Granted, we should have put Rochdale, Tranmere and Bournemouth all to bed way before they all grabbed their late equalisers, but all it requires is a little more composure in front of goal (but I'm not going to lay into Muzza or Barnes here because I feel they are doing a sterling job and are only going to improve together as the season goes on), and better final balls (I counted at least four good opportunites went begging yesterday because the wrong choice was made, or the final ball was a little too slow and we got caught marginally offside, but again this will obviously be something that will be worked on and improved on).

Who knows, maybe the complete injustice of what happened yesterday may be the kick up the backside the side needs to ensure that we just don't shut up shop after going ahead in future.

It amazes me that so anyone can be critical of the way we play football though when it is quite clearly some of the most attractive football an Albion side has ever played, and we're top of the league! :tantrum:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I bloody love the chessgame we play. I remember watching Leeds last season and they stroked the ball around tenderly. They had better players than us and could virtually do it naturally, but with us it will take a little more time to become so fluent that it's unstoppable.
It's bloody fantastic that teams are on their back feet when visiting, and have to be conscious of working out ways to prevent, cognisant of the slickness that could spill from us at any time.
The longball larrys are a clear example of the problems with the game in England. Not every pass has to be a killer one. Not every pass has to be tainted with the panic of a fear of loss. Not every pass has to be directly to foot or head, but instead into the space soon likely filled by a teammate. Not every tackle needs to be thunderous and flown into. Out-think rather than out-punch please players.

Maybe we yaysayers do need to be a little louder.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's not irrelevent at all though.

The scenario that THPP references happens about 4 times a game. Big deal. It's the same if you watch the Champions League! It's effective, it tires opponents and ensures we keep possession for as long as possible.s

The majority of our game goes through the midfield. This involves the passing around on the floor which HAS changed our fortunes around.

At the times when the ball has to go in the air, it goes through Murray, and therefore can't be considered 'aimless'.

So yes, my post is "relevant".
And yes, you're definitely both talking bollocks.

Well, if you read the thread all the way through you will see that THPP has said that our passing game has made a huge impact on our fortunes. On that, you two (and indeed, I) are agreed.

Coming from that standpoint, he then highlighted an area within the passing game that would most benefit from improvement and that was the interplay between Ankergren, El-Abd and Painter. Even then, he wasn't advocating hoofball - in fact he lamented that after some passing between them, the result was a long ball. And this was because the passing between them wasn't fluent enough to stretch the opposition. This is the point THPP seems to be making.

The fact the majority of our play happens in midfield doesn't legitimately stop him making a point about Ankergren, El-Abd and Painter. He even says Elphick following orders by passing is "good. up to a point." THPP is not calling for us to return to the sometimes dreadful football we had at times under Slade and Adams. He's not calling for a long ball game. Yet, in the absence, of any of the boo-ers from yesterday being on NSC, you seem to want to make it out that he is.

The key player in the El Abd - Elphick - Ankergren triangle is Calderon. When he is positioned to do something, the passing stops. When he's not, the three of them play patiently, while Ankergren assesses other options.

Mar 10, 2006
Simple thing to do is cheer every pass in a passing move over the next couple of games. It'll show Gus and the team that we are totally behind them and show the hoofball moaners that they are not wanted and can f*** off to Eastbourne Boro and Crawley to watch football the way they like it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here