Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"If the fans want Brighton to change our style of play.."

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I have to confess I did find myself shouting " get it forward " at one point during the 2nd half, It's not that I want us to play hoof ball and it's not that I dont like our style of play it's just something deep inside me starts to panic when I see Elphick & El Abd passing the ball around at the back.

And this hits the nail on the head as to why some people are moaning about our passing it around at the back - The fans are panicking as they don't trust Tommy and El-Abd to be able to do this and are expecting them to make a cock up and give away a goal - hence why they want the ball played forward asap.

These fans need to have much more faith and belief in them to be able to do this, and then most the moaning and graoning will stop (i would say all but you will still get a couple of people who are never happy unless complaining).

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
That's EXACTLY it :thumbsup:

Elphick is absolutely GAGGING to hoof it forwards, every fibre of his being is telling him to do so. Instead he's following orders and playing it along the ground. Which is good. Up to a point. Sadly he is totally bereft of any kind of vision which means he always ends up passing back to Ankergren to hoof it upfield instead.

Same comments apply to El-Abd.

Pre-Gus era: Keeper -> Defender 1 or Defender 2 -> AIMLESS HOOF!

Gus era: Keeper -> Defender 1 -> Defender 2 -> Defender 1 -> Keeper -> AIMLESS HOOF!

It's progress of a sort I suppose. But please don't anybody be dumb enough to suggest its contributing in any way to our improved league position :shrug:

And with that twattish post, you've just proved you don't actually understand football.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Elphick is absolutely GAGGING to hoof it forwards, every fibre of his being is telling him to do so. Instead he's following orders and playing it along the ground. Which is good. Up to a point. Sadly he is totally bereft of any kind of vision which means he always ends up passing back to Ankergren to hoof it upfield instead.

Gus era: Keeper -> Defender 1 -> Defender 2 -> Defender 1 -> Keeper -> AIMLESS HOOF!

It's progress of a sort I suppose. But please don't anybody be dumb enough to suggest its contributing in any way to our improved league position :shrug:

Stupidly clueless.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Hits the nail on the head.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Have you ever actually played football in your life?

I have to confess I did find myself shouting " get it forward " at one point during the 2nd half, It's not that I want us to play hoof ball and it's not that I dont like our style of play it's just something deep inside me starts to panic when I see Elphick & El Abd passing the ball around at the back.

Why? That is exactly the problem people don't have confidence in them which results in shouts which results in panic.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Why? That is exactly the problem people don't have confidence in them which results in shouts which results in panic.

It's a case of old habits die hard I think, Having seen some of the defensive lapses over the last couple of seasons it takes a bit of getting used too watching Elphick & El Abd passing the ball around at the back with confidence. Over all though I do like the style of football that Gus has introduced to the team and i firmly believe it will bring success to the club.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hits the nail on the head.

What?

What the the hell?

Are you lot for real?

What's the point in going to games when you plainly don't actually understand them.

Absolute fuckwits. You should be ashamed of yourself for agreeing with him. Stick to subbuteo next time or something.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Who is moaning about our style of play? I honestly can't believe it...

Fortunately it is only a small minority.

Unfortunately they are the loudest mouthed morons and they're the ones Gus can hear.

We need to tell these idiots to shut their moronic mouths.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What?

What the the hell?

Are you lot for real?

What's the point in going to games when you plainly don't actually understand them.

Absolute fuckwits. You should be ashamed of yourself for agreeing with him. Stick to subbuteo next time or something.

Less of the noise, cowboy.

Tom Hark's post is making a slightly different point to the one you think it is making. It is not calling for a return to hoofball and neither am I.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I love a good moan, I quite enjoy booing the team off when we're shit and I love it when the manager is under pressure as I sit right behind him. What I'm saying is if there was ANY reason to moan at games I'd be on it. However, I can honestly say that the people booing us when we were knocking it around at the back yesterday as a TOP OF THE LEAGUE side made me more embarrassed than I have ever been at any point in my life. Truly shameful.

Agreed 100%.

Twelve months ago we were 21st in the table, had conceded 20 goals in 11 matches, of which we had won........two. We had already lost four games at home

The fans criticised the players, board (for not dipping hands into pockets) and management for the style of play.

Today we are TOP of the league by three points, have conceded 8 goals in 11 games, of which we have won six and are undefeated at home.

The fans criticise the players, board (for not dipping hands into pockets) and management for the style of play.

Plus ca change

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Oi! You can't just go around thinking for yourself like that! Follow the mob like Withdean Wanderer! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's me. Always "following the mob". Never capable of my own opinion at all.

"It's progress of a sort I suppose. But please don't anybody be dumb enough to suggest its contributing in any way to our improved league position"

That quote is one of the most stupid I've ever seen on here.

The passing on the deck has EVERYTHING to do with our improved league position.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What concerns me most is that these morons have probably sown the first seed of doubt in Gus's mind about his feelings for the club. It's the sort of thing that, three months down the line when we're still top, might just make him think about going should he get an offer. The guy has transformed us in every single department, but if he's still got to put up with some twats in a temporary stand shouting at him then who could blame him for not feeling the loyalty we'd perhaps like.

I retract my footballing ignoramus posting on the other thread.

:wink:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I love a good moan, I quite enjoy booing the team off when we're shit and I love it when the manager is under pressure as I sit right behind him. What I'm saying is if there was ANY reason to moan at games I'd be on it. However, I can honestly say that the people booing us when we were knocking it around at the back yesterday as a TOP OF THE LEAGUE side made me more embarrassed than I have ever been at any point in my life. Truly shameful.

From where I was, there wasn't any booing as such. Just some groans. If people were groaning because they wanted the defenders to hoof it long, then I agree that that would be embarrassing and cringe-worthy. Personally, the thought of Tommy Elphick overhitting one of his long diagonal balls into touch does not feel me with glee.

However, as Tom Hark and missworthing have hinted at, there is a different reason why people were occasionally groaning. That is that when the passing around the back often didn't lead to a linking up with the midfield, new possibilities in play, and sometimes almost ended up with Elphick and El-Abd (not the most confident ball players in the side) playing themselves into trouble. Sometimes, when a pass was clearly on to a midfielder in space, the ball went back to the other defender and the possibility was lost.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, that's me. Always "following the mob". Never capable of my own opinion at all.

"It's progress of a sort I suppose. But please don't anybody be dumb enough to suggest its contributing in any way to our improved league position"

That quote is one of the most stupid I've ever seen on here.

I notice you never quoted the two lines above that quote, so I'll do it for you...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here