Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If thats our transfer activity over.....

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Mcghee sowed.....?? we had a good start to the season and should have gone to forest with a 100% record and deserevd to win there...hardly a poor start to the season!

I'd have bet big money that we would have had a better season under mcghee..granted something we will never know..but he proved to be one of our most successful managers...so I still had confidence in him.

Theres a slight difference with pesisting with a young scholes,giggs and beckham..than playing youngsters like gatting,robinson and fraser..

Chippy was slowing down..but what makes people think oatways going to be any different...considereing on their day...chippy was the better player imho...

As for hart last season..wilkins gave him a real fair go didnt he?????? :annoyed:

Good start to the season but where was it going? Even DK decided he'd had enough!

You tell me a period in the season where Chippy or Harty had a better spell than Gatting, Fraser or Robinson?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Good start to the season but where was it going? Even DK decided he'd had enough!

You tell me a period in the season where Chippy or Harty had a better spell than Gatting, Fraser or Robinson?

It was a good start...where was it going in my opinion...out side shout for the playoffs....not a relegation scrap with some of the worst performances ive seen against that level of opposition since jeff wood! DK backed Mcghee...it was the blooms and ultimately fan pressure that got him finished

Chippy was slowing up and people were using him as a scapegoat.....as for hart...when did he play consistantly for DW?? He brought him on here and there and thats no way to judge him.....

Gatting was awful most times I saw him....robinson & fraser went missing too much.....

The three of them are very ordinary players and imho will be gone this time next summer.....maybe with the exception of fraser.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I went to quite a few games last season and allthough some of it was pretty dire I dont see any reason to go into this season in a pessimistic mood, A lot of the youngsters have got a season under they're belt now plus Hinsh, reid and possibly Oatway are back from injury. Add to that 2 very good signings made so far and I would'nt be surprised to see a couple more by the time we kick off at crewe as well. Not to mention we hav'nt had a silly summer like last year when we did'nt know who was going to be the manager, So yeah from my point of view i'm pretty optomistic for the coming season.

Mmm I'm sure if either of us could be bothered to trawl throught the threads from this time last year, we would find pretty much the same things being said then.

You've also added saying you wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more. Well, yes, a couple more of Whing's quality may well make a difference, but you and I were discussing the squad assuming no other signings, as seems likely at this point. I'm afraid I remain unconvinced that the youngsters we have have the capability of stepping up to the next level without the necessary legs around them, and I'm talking 28-30 years olds, not the gaping divide we see now.

Only Reid and Hammond of are either old than 22 or younger than 31 in the squad, and the gap is simply too wide. Mayo is simply not good enough, and Hart isn't used enough.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Chippy was slowing up and people were using him as a scapegoat.....as for hart...when did he play consistantly for DW?? He brought him on here and there and thats no way to judge him.....

Gatting was awful most times I saw him....robinson & fraser went missing too much.....

The three of them are very ordinary players and imho will be gone this time next summer.....maybe with the exception of fraser.

Chippy was shit last season and thats why he quit the game and you name me one game that Harty really shone last season? he did'nt!

Yeah some of the youngsters go missing from time to time but I saw more passion from the likes of Gatting in one game than I saw from Chippy and Harty in the whole season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mmm I'm sure if either of us could be bothered to trawl throught the threads from this time last year, we would find pretty much the same things being said then.

You've also added saying you wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more. Well, yes, a couple more of Whing's quality may well make a difference, but you and I were discussing the squad assuming no other signings, as seems likely at this point. I'm afraid I remain unconvinced that the youngsters we have have the capability of stepping up to the next level without the necessary legs around them, and I'm talking 28-30 years olds, not the gaping divide we see now.

Only Reid and Hammond of are either old than 22 or younger than 31 in the squad, and the gap is simply too wide. Mayo is simply not good enough, and Hart isn't used enough.
You what?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
1. Dean Wilkins has said he is still looking to add to the squad
2. It is only July

It is boring at the moment in terms of Albion news, but we have signed two good players already, when was the last time we did that this early in the summer?
There is plenty of time yet.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I expect Wilkins to take us down next season, except Knight will sack him before that becomes a reality. So in the relegation zone by Xmas and Wilkins is sacked and then a proper manager comes in and we scrape out of relegation and finish around 19th.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I expect Wilkins to take us down next season, except Knight will sack him before that becomes a reality. So in the relegation zone by Xmas and Wilkins is sacked and then a proper manager comes in and we scrape out of relegation and finish around 19th.

For a boring fucker you do amuse me at times US. :lol:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm in a reasonably optimistic mood right now.

I was spitting blood and feathers at performances in the second half of the season, but we stayed up and that was our realistic goal.

I hope, if given the chance, that Robinson will be a lot more involved for more of the game this coming season rather than if things don't go his way he loses interest.

If not, then he may have to be shown the door.

Hopefully Mayo will only be used in dire emergency situations.

Fingers crossed for Oatway, but I think he may be another Chippy. Come back from a long injury and never the same player.

We need goals and lots of 'em :) Hopefully Forster,Revell,Savage, and Elder (whatever combination) will be knocking them in on a sustained basis.

Yeah, I feel optimistic. I reckon very comfortable mid table, and it's not without hope of an outside chance of a play off spot.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For a boring fucker you do amuse me at times US. :lol:

No one can accuse me of having unrealistic expectations. I take it into my personal life, I always assume the worst will happen and if it is better its a pleasant suprise.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm in a reasonably optimistic mood right now.

I was spitting blood and feathers at performances in the second half of the season, but we stayed up and that was our realistic goal.

I hope, if given the chance, that Robinson will be a lot more involved for more of the game this coming season rather than if things don't go his way he loses interest.

If not, then he may have to be shown the door.

Hopefully Mayo will only be used in dire emergency situations.

Fingers crossed for Oatway, but I think he may be another Chippy. Come back from a long injury and never the same player.

We need goals and lots of 'em :) Hopefully Forster,Revell,Savage, and Elder (whatever combination) will be knocking them in on a sustained basis.

Yeah, I feel optimistic. I reckon very comfortable mid table, and it's not without hope of an outside chance of a play off spot.

It's a big season for players and everybody involved in the club,When we get the go for Falmer it's shape up or ship out time for us all.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Gary hart ..he's got loyalty,commitment, never gives up and will cover more of the pitch than any other player.

But this doesnt mean he has the skill and talent though does it. Hart's best days are well behind him, at Priestfield in fact. I could be loyal, committed and never giving up, still makes me a crap player though.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I agree with the principle, but I do think we need another goalkeeper and wide man ... DW's got the right targets, I think. However, if we don't add anyone else, it's mid-table "midocrity" ahead.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Then It's going to be a long hard season in my opinion.

Granted DW has got a real couple of quality players in and they will be a great asset to the club this coming seson imho. But last season we were alot more than two players making a massive difference.

DW talks in the argus about a goalie and a currie style player needed to be brought in...why is he wasting wages and potential fee's on the GK position that the fdm is more than capable of doing the job and doing it well.....we need a CM more than anything in my opinion......

The wide position can be easily covered by Gary hart who again looks like another season on the side lines beckons...whats he got against the guy...he's got loyalty,commitment, never gives up and will cover more of the pitch than any other player.....DW pissed me right off...trying every man and his dog in that position last season..accept a man who did worked his arse off in that position in the past.

If we can bring in a quality wide man..then yes..hart is good cover on the bench...

If this is the squad that kicks off at crewe..then were in trouble.

We need two more decent signings and one of them doesnt need to be a goalie......

Spot, and indeed, on!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Please realise that Falmer is the main objective and we are almost there. The club can't afford to splash cash and we've seen players bought in the past that have been a waste. I'm happy with the squad and think we can do well this year.

Deluded... lack of success on the pitch = lower gates = less income = less success... and on and on...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I see the usual NSC panic is starting to set in, What makes people so convinced the current squad is'nt good enough before we've even kicked a ball this season?

Errr... because, with the noted exceptions of Forster and Whing, nothing has changed... sorry, but those 2 are NOT enough for a successful season...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here