Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If thats our transfer activity over.....

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Errr... because, with the noted exceptions of Forster and Whing, nothing has changed... sorry, but those 2 are NOT enough for a successful season...

thats on the money.

:clap:

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
OK reasons to be cheerful.

1. We have Joel Lynch, Adam Hinshelwood, Dean Cox and Dean Hammond in our team for next season. 4 of the best young players in this division. Plus Paul Reid coming back - before his injury he was one of the best players in this league.

2. We have made 2 great signings so far and its only July.

3. We seem to have a proactive and so far successful manager in the transfer market and a manager capable of getting the best out of our young squad. He recognises the need for additions (CM, winger and GK) to the squad and I'm sure we'll see some new faces soon. He is overhauling our scouting network which is great news as well.

4. We are on the brink of getting Falmer and the feel good factor will give us a great boost at the start of next year.

5. Revell, Rents, Fraser, Elphick, Gatting, Robinson, Savage and Elder will be good squad players for us next year and will be better for having played a year under Wilkins.

6. Frutos surely can't be any worse than last year and if he can get his head straight would be a force in this league.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We had no idea about McShane until a week before the season started two years ago. I know a lot of loans turn out to be mediocre but we could get a couple of decent loans in and make this squad competitive.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We had no idea about McShane until a week before the season started two years ago. I know a lot of loans turn out to be mediocre but we could get a couple of decent loans in and make this squad competitive.

Perms a lot better... loanees just don't have the club at heart (for obvious reasons)...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Perms a lot better... loanees just don't have the club at heart (for obvious reasons)...

I know that but we have had some good ones. Whing for example.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know that but we have had some good ones. Whing for example.

Agreed... you never know, we may get a great loanee in... would just prefer us to use loans to cover injuries, and build our own squad of perm players...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Zamora and Leon Knight also started off as loans.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Get that little man from ipswich...called bowditch

plus one other in centre mid and that for me would make a massive difference...then i'd be confident that we could have successful season....

Shame we couldnt get grant holt from forest...he'd have been a real coup

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will add my twopenneth for what it is worth.

I agree 100% with DW we need a goalkeeper and wide midfielder because :

a. Kuipers is neither good enough nor gauranteed to be fit enough to be the first choice keeper at the club.
b. Hart falls into the same category as regards being a winger he has lost his pace and ability to get down to the line consistently to cross the ball for our strikers.

In an ideal world I would love to see Frutos reproduce the skill he showed when he first came here and we could then play Cox wide on the right and have Robinson as his back up.

The creative midfielder will be Reid, who could also play as the holding midfielder in a 4 - 4 -2 formation and the extra support for the strikers would come from Hammond.

I would think that DW ideas stem from the fact that he doesnt have faith in Frutos coming good and we have no other winger/ wide man to play in that position consistently well enough.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Here's my take on the situation:

Keeper. FDM is just fine if he stays fit. If not get a loan. Don't waste transfer fees or wages on this position right now.

Defence. Whing is a great addition. We did well when he was with us last season so that augers well. CB we're in pretty good shape with Butters, Lynch and Hinsh, and Whing can do a good job there if necessary. And Elphick as back-up.

Midfield we've got basically a new player in Reid although we've lost Bertin. It would be good to get another midfielder, but I don't think we're in bad shape in that area.

Strikers. We should be OK if we can get 12 goals from Forster, 15 from Elder (and why not?), 10 from Bas and 7 or 8 from Revell (plus some decent contributions from midfield and defense). Add a few from Jake as well.

On reflection, I'd possibly like to see a 4-3-3 formation.
Whing, Butters, Lynch, Rents.
Reid, Hammond, Cox.
Revell, Elder. Forster.
with four out of Bas/Hinsh/OGH/Jake/Fraser/Loft/Mayo on the bench.

That team would make mid table no problem. Another midfielder (maybe on loan) and we can make the playoffs.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the only difference that players will make now are cash signings or loans

we've had our once-a-summer cash signing now, so it will be down to free transfers. by the second week of pre-season, not only will most decent free players be snapped up, but anyone who does sign will be two weeks behind everyone else in terms of fitness levels

it will all come down to getting decent loans in - something that wilkins has a mixed record of doing. flinders and whing were superb, but on the other hand what exactly did alastair john and ward achieve?

a goalkeeper is not vital - kuipers is more than capable of doing a job, the only question is do you wait for him to get injured then sign somebody, or get them in now to challenge? a creative midfield player is a must, preferably someone who can play wide or centre. its all very well having forster, who will be supposed to get the goals, but if we dont provide chances for him then it will prove to be a waste of money

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here