Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Prescott says 'no'

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
BensGrandad said:
Gut feeling tells me that it will be YES with a lot of conditions, which may or may not mean that it s effectively a no because there will be doubt as to whether or not we could afford to conform to the conditions imposed.

My analysis of other Planning Applications and Appeals came to same conclusion from the very beginning (before the first Planning Application) that this would be the outcome.

This view is shared by at least one Brighton Councillor.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I'm sure any Falmer yes would come with strings attached. My guess is that noise, traffic, parking, light pollution, stadium use, etc could all be invovled. Prehaps even limitations on the stadium height and design to limit its impact that could get messy.

These would all have to be accepted by the club and university before building could commence.

We will just have to wait and see.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
s.stubbs said:
probably that plankton from the Green party.

Well spotted S Stubbs. I borrowed your paper mache line. I thought that was good.

The Councillor was the leader if the Green party, if they have leaders.

The official Green Party line is that they will abide by Prescott's decision. At least that is what they said in their manifesto.

It was written down, so we can take them at their word.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Superseagull said:
I'm sure any Falmer yes would come with strings attached. My guess is that noise, traffic, parking, light pollution, stadium use, etc could all be invovled. Prehaps even limitations on the stadium height and design to limit its impact that could get messy.

These would all have to be accepted by the club and university before building could commence.

We will just have to wait and see.

What the hell are you talking about? The ODPM and planning officers/inspectors are more than aware of the size of the stadium and surrounding land. The pollution and light impacts have all been talked about and accepted by the ODPM as not a reason for refusal, hence the reason why we've been through 2 public enquiries that have taken 3 years...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
perseus said:
My analysis of other Planning Applications and Appeals came to same conclusion from the very beginning (before the first Planning Application) that this would be the outcome.

This view is shared by at least one Brighton Councillor.

More like you hoped, so your actions carry just a modicum of justification.....

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Seagull73 said:
What the hell are you talking about? The ODPM and planning officers/inspectors are more than aware of the size of the stadium and surrounding land. The pollution and light impacts have all been talked about and accepted by the ODPM as not a reason for refusal, hence the reason why we've been through 2 public enquiries that have taken 3 years...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I take your point. I was thinking of the access roads, park 'n rides, road junctions, footbridges, disposal of soil etc.

The main point in favour of the conditions not being too onerous is that other stadia have gone through without quite so much trouble. Even Oxford.

I think we have already agreed too many onerous conditions just to get Planning Permission in the first place.

Not so much it would block the plan for Falmer but just make it a bit unsatisfactory, more expensive than need be, making the admission prices a bit too high.

Either the costs and mortgage add up as a business proposition or they don't ???

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Yes, but all of that has been considered in the enquiry. Although the access roads and footbridges went in as separate planning applications, they all ended up being debated as one at the enquiries.

And to be honest, they barely got a mention. Everybody including those anti-Falmer's realise that if Falmer is to be built, access has to be a consideration. Most of it is done now anyway. There are small improvements to be made to Falmer station, which again is already in the costings, and the underpass has recently been improved which will more than cope with fans parking in the Universities car parks.

What onerous conditions have we already agreed?

BensGrandad said:
Gut feeling tells me that it will be YES with a lot of conditions, which may or may not mean that it s effectively a no because there will be doubt as to whether or not we could afford to conform to the conditions imposed.
There will be masses of conditions.

These have ALL been discussed at the two Inquiries. Most of the agreements that will allow the Club to meet the conditions have already been signed by the various parties involved (the Club, the two Universities, the three Highway Authorities and the City Council).

When the decision letter is published, it will list all of the conditions. But I have every expectation that there will be people who then will come on NSC or write letters to the Argus or bleat to Ian Hart, complaining about the conditions and saying that they are unaffordable or unreasonable.

They aren't and they won't be. These days, planning conditions are the price of building any major development anywhere. And they've already been costed into the project.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Lord Bracknell said:

These have ALL been discussed at the two Inquiries. Most of the agreements that will allow the Club to meet the conditions have already been signed by the various parties involved (the Club, the two Universities, the three Highway Authorities and the City Council).

When the decision letter is published, it will list all of the conditions. But I have every expectation that there will be people who then will come on NSC or write letters to the Argus or bleat to Ian Hart, complaining about the conditions and saying that they are unaffordable or unreasonable.

They aren't and they won't be. These days, planning conditions are the price of building any major development anywhere. And they've already been costed into the project.

your posts always bring common sense to the mass panic , we are lucky that you have been involved with the issues at the sharp end ..thanks

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
If Prescott says no.......it will contradict many of the arguments used to win London the Olympics. This won't do the Albion any good but will make things unpleasant for New Labour who hadn't the bottle to stand up to wealthy nimbys.
Most Albion fans are likely to resent funding the Olympics with huge public spending whilst our club are quietly killed off.
BUT we will see soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:

As 'the man that knows' I will take your word for it and just hope that no rabbits are pulled out of the bag at the last minute by JP.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I hope it these "conditions" that are being sorted now hence the dragging on of the announcement. My theory is that JP is tidying everything up with the club and university before the announcement rather than try and do it in the all chaos after it.

And I reckon it is being done via DMH to make it all kosher! Can't see DK & MP talking directly with JP and his team, but I would imagine it is being done down the correct legal route - If this is happening at all!?

Last edited:

BensGrandad said:
I will take your word for it and just hope that no rabbits are pulled out of the bag at the last minute by JP.
I don't know everything.

But I might speculate that one of the reasons it takes months to evaluate an Inspector's Report is that the ODPM need to satisfy themselves that all of the conditions are realistic and acceptable to the parties who will have to implement them - not just the Club, but the Council, the landowners and the highway authorities.

It ain't just a case of Prescott looking at the case and saying YES or NO, as the mood takes him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Better still let's all agree to disagee :p

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
ODPM are obviously in the very final processes of submitting the decision. I'm convinced of it being a Falmer yes. Prescott seems to be for Falmer and he's had 2 prime chances to reject it already. One of the most telling indications of Prescotts intent was his speech at the conference. Very carefully worded yet his body language seemed very positive. It's well known he hates Nimbys and his praise for the Albions campaign seems genuine.

According to most experts Falmer came through the 2nd enquiry as arguably the best (or least worst) site. There was nowhere clearly better. If the experts at ODPM agree Prescott will surely follow his own thoughts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here