Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Leon Knight is offloaded...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
how would you like his freed up wages to be spent?

Left back? After Joel Lynch yesterday, I don't think it's quite so clear cut. Are there any hard nut midfielders we could look at. We're missing Oatway, for all his limitations...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I would still like a left back. Someone with experience who would be a short term solution until the end of the season. Lynch may have played well but it's too much to ask of him to play well every game for the rest of the season. I don't want to see him built up after playing 3 or 4 great games only to be continually knocked if his form slips. I'd rather we got someone in who is capable of shoring the left side up and have Lynch as a sub. Next season we can think about him being a starter.

I'd also like to see a striker who can score come in! It doesn't matter if he's an old bastard who only has half a season left in him or a young premier league player that we have no chance of keeping. As long as we find someone to score 10 goals from now until the end of the season I'll be happy.

And a midfielder! Again a short term solution is entirely acceptable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
brighton rock said:
think you might need goals?
We have strikers, who get no service. Partly because we don't build from the back, partly because our midfield cannot get a foot on the ball and dictate matters and partly because our forwards simply aren't all that good. The question is how do we make things better?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Personally I would like to see someone brought in to shore up the midfield and add a bit of bite in the absence of Charlie, plus he and chippy aren't going to keep going forever, perhaps it is a good time to start considering long term replacements.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A midfield general.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Rumour has it we're looking to get Dennis Wise for the rest of the season....

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The truth is that most of the team now needs an overhaul.

We need a goalscorer plus a creative midfielder, or two.

The problem I've got is that even if McGhee WAS given the money, after his recent track record, Im not sure he could be trusted to spend it right.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That is a fine rumour, could do a job in midfield.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
We have needed a decent all-round midfielder who can put his foot on the ball, tackle and play decent passes since Sidwell left.

Current crop, Hammond excluded are clearly not up to it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We definitely need some bite in midfield.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Smart Mart said:

The problem I've got is that even if McGhee WAS given the money, after his recent track record, Im not sure he could be trusted to spend it right.

McGhee has said that we need a left back, a centre forward who can score, a midfielder and possibly another centre back. Which is lucky for him because it agrees with the NSC consensus...

What is so wrong with his transfer record?
He's signed nine players this season:
3 goalkeepers, two of whom have proven tobe very capable keepers. Chaigneau has only played twice but looks to be improving. So nothing wrong woth the keepers he's signed this year.

He's signed two defenders- Dodd and McShane. McShane has earnt rave reviews and for most people appears to be a serious challenger for player of the season. Dodd has been injured for most of the season, so because he has contributed little to the team we should probably call his signing a failure.

He has signed two midfielders. Both of whom have been highly praised for their contributions- Carole being described as the most exciting/skillfull player to play for us for many seasons and being the only really serious contender to McShane for player of the season.

Two strikers. CKR has scored some vital goals and looks to be a very promisingf talent- a succesful signing. Turienzo has offered very little and because he cost so much money(for us) he has to be seen as a failure at this stage.

So, McGhee's record this season in the transfer market has been fairly succesful- 6 successes, two failures and one where the jury is still out.

He knows what area's to strengthen and the majority(at least 66%) of his signings this seasons have strengthened the team. If he maintains that sort of 'form' in the January transfer window - and provided we have some halfway decent funds available- I respectfully suggest we have nothing to worry about. :)

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
a plymouth fan and mate of mine was gutted when we got jason dodd after they had him on loan. he was saying how he pulled them around and was still a cracking player. i think it was a very good signing aswell. unfortunatly he has been out injuried for so long. when is he due back?
i still feel we need a left back and a quality midfield player (with bite and creativlity) which we probably couldnt afford. if leon was to go either el turi has to show a massive improvement or we get another goalscorer, but they dont come cheap.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
garry nelsons left foot said:
McGhee has said that we need a left back, a centre forward who can score, a midfielder and possibly another centre back. Which is lucky for him because it agrees with the NSC consensus...

What is so wrong with his transfer record?
He's signed nine players this season:
3 goalkeepers, two of whom have proven tobe very capable keepers. Chaigneau has only played twice but looks to be improving. So nothing wrong woth the keepers he's signed this year.

He's signed two defenders- Dodd and McShane. McShane has earnt rave reviews and for most people appears to be a serious challenger for player of the season. Dodd has been injured for most of the season, so because he has contributed little to the team we should probably call his signing a failure.

He has signed two midfielders. Both of whom have been highly praised for their contributions- Carole being described as the most exciting/skillfull player to play for us for many seasons and being the only really serious contender to McShane for player of the season.

Two strikers. CKR has scored some vital goals and looks to be a very promisingf talent- a succesful signing. Turienzo has offered very little and because he cost so much money(for us) he has to be seen as a failure at this stage.

So, McGhee's record this season in the transfer market has been fairly succesful- 6 successes, two failures and one where the jury is still out.

He knows what area's to strengthen and the majority(at least 66%) of his signings this seasons have strengthened the team. If he maintains that sort of 'form' in the January transfer window - and provided we have some halfway decent funds available- I respectfully suggest we have nothing to worry about. :)

I admire your optimism. On the plus side the French players have been good signings, also CKR has potential. On the negative side the Turienzo and Molango debacles still loom large.

but lets hope youre right :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here