Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Labour have been that bad, name the things that have effected you?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Personally, very very little of what has been mentioned has affected me one way or the other, so I can see the point of the original post.

However, I felt exactly the same in 1997 when roles were reversed, there was nothing that Major's government had done that affected me (in fact the early-mid 90's recession let me buy my first house cheap!).

I've always been of the opinion that if something in my life is affecting me, I'd want to be in the position to do something about it myself, rather than bleating on blaming government-this or authorities-that. I kinda hope we'll get back to that when CMD referred to everyone's "responsibilities" several times last night.
Agreed, Under a Tory Government I turned 16, got my first job (have never not worked since), served in the Royal Navy, brought my first house, had my first son, under a Labour government, I got married, I brought a bigger house, had two more children and got divorced, made redundant twice and now live in a rented one bedroom flat in Brighton, I have never claimed any income support nor have i ever wanted to, If I'm in the shit I will deal with it, I am now looking forward to the next five years at last.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'm a potential first time buyer and I don't stand a chance of owning my own property.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
I agree that child tax credits are an absolute farce - friends of mine with a combined income pushing 100k have just separated (not divorced as yet) but becuase they have three kids they are entitled to claim around 500 quid a month - absolute madness and a total waste of money.

On top of the other stuff mentioned - sending the troops to two wars without equipping them properly and then cutting the defence budget and then lying about it. How that hypocritical shit last night could talk about the bravery of the troops while sending them into battle in soft skinned land rovers while stopping requests for new armoured vehicles and helicopters summed up the hypocritical and basically corrupt nature of the Labour Party in the last five years.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree that child tax credits are an absolute farce - friends of mine with a combined income pushing 100k have just separated (not divorced as yet) but becuase they have three kids they are entitled to claim around 500 quid a month - absolute madness and a total waste of money.

On top of the other stuff mentioned - sending the troops to two wars without equipping them properly and then cutting the defence budget and then lying about it. How that hypocritical shit last night could talk about the bravery of the troops while sending them into battle in soft skinned land rovers while stopping requests for new armoured vehicles and helicopters summed up the hypocritical and basically corrupt nature of the Labour Party in the last five years.
:thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
the tories would have gone to war too, and to a certain extent all civil liberties have had to be regned in because of the perceived terrorist threat. thats nothing to do with labour or any 'big brother' thing

The prevention of terrorism act was opposed by as more Labour MPs than Conservative. So we can strike that one off the list. We can also lose the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars as it is 100% certain the Tories would have done the same. They may not have lied in the same way but we would have been going to war none the less.

So, I agree with you.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm a potential first time buyer and I don't stand a chance of owning my own property.

Come on now, you can't just blame that on Labour. The fact is if we had not sold the vast majority of council housing in the '80s their would be more affordable homes. Admittedly Labour have done very little to address this issue though. Conclusion, they are all to blame for not taking the interests of the average person seriously.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
the digital economy act, both supported by labour and tories before the election.. not the lib dems though.. now tories and lib dems are best mates.. f***ing joke

Yet again the two main parties voted the same way on this issue. Anyone seeing a pattern yet? They really have us all fooled, me included.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
child tax credit and child trust fund.
i dont have children but dont think my taxes should pay for other people to have children.

But you will expect our children to fund state pensions when you retire through their taxes!

All the above points plus selling countries gold reserves at rock bottom prices. Introducing tax on private pension dividends, thus destroying the system at a stroke you read too many papers. The change didn't help but demise of final salary was also due to mismanagement of funds by pension trustees, pension contribution holidays in the 80s and 90s and a little matter of the collapse of the markets in 2001) taking away the 10% start rate of income tax, and that affected the lower paid/living on fixed income/pensioners more than anything else. I could go on but read a cross selection of daily papers and you will get the idea.Perhaps that same cross section of papers could also review the damage done between 1979 and 1997

Agreed, Under a Tory Government I turned 16, got my first job (have never not worked since), served in the Royal Navy, brought my first house, had my first son, under a Labour government, I got married, I brought a bigger house, had two more children and got divorced, made redundant twice and now live in a rented one bedroom flat in Brighton, I have never claimed any income support nor have i ever wanted to, If I'm in the shit I will deal with it, I am now looking forward to the next five years at last.

So you are blaming Labour because you got divorced. Also, not being married, you don't quite fit in with the Tory family ideals.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
High taxes (including their stealth taxes such as NI).
Recession - deeper and longer than the rest of the world because of their miss-management of the financial sector.
The rise of the unions after Maggie had stamped them nearly out.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I've always been of the opinion that if something in my life is affecting me, I'd want to be in the position to do something about it myself, rather than bleating on blaming government-this or authorities-that. I kinda hope we'll get back to that when CMD referred to everyone's "responsibilities" several times last night.

TMLS LIKES this :thumbsup:

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Might as well throw my bit in aswell.
Since Labour came to power,
Lost job, moved 180 miles upto mids to get another, kids got jobs here, then both made
redundant.
Pension raided.
Taxed by any backdoor means so we wouldn't realize and complain.
And prob not worth going into how hard we will all be hit over the next cycle to repay the total defecit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i never applied for tax credits (doesnt seem right, like claiming for benefits while in work) but i have two friends that were royally shafted by the tax credit fiasco. everyone with a pension is affected by the great pension robbery even if they dont realise it. my civil liberites have been deeply eroded.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Tony Blairs LIES are enough to make me delighted that bunch of hypocritical wankers are no longer in power. If Maggie was wrong to defend the Falklands (British territory invaded by others), then Blair was nothing short of a war criminal for what he did to get this country into war with Iraq.

As for the Tories would have gone to war too, you sure? Would another Prime Minister have LIED in the way Blair did? I doubt it, he was one of a kind.

I thought it was Tory John Major and George Bush senior who masterminded the first war with Iraq.

Why the f*** should we care what happened to a tin pot country like Kuwait.....

oh yeah I forgot, it was all about the oil.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here