Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If I am to be held up as representative of Brighton fans...

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters
I know that it is not the fault of TLO but I really object when any one person is quoted as being representative of Brighton fans. This always happens with the TV & Radio when they speak to Liz Costa. If they want a fans perspective on an issue go to Churchill square and ask passers by who are obviously fans wearing the shirts , hats, or scarves etc or just put a sign up saying if you are a Brighton fan and want to be interviewed come and speak to us.

Only those with a full packet of Werthers Originals and a thermos flask signed by Uncles Dick and Martin should be seen as TRUE Albion fans.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How did Leicesters local radio get hold of you in particular ?

That's the first thing I asked them, especially as I wasn't expecting the call.

They phoned Paul Camillin, the Albion's Press Officer, and asked him for a random independent fan (I guess someone not in any official supporters' club nor a member of staff) that they could ask. So Paul suggested me.

I could have said 'no'.

please excuse my lack of knowledge, but are you a "supporters club spokesperson" who's contact details are available to the the media ? and talking as a representative ? i assume they just did not ring a random number in the Brighton phone book ?

edited to says, i don't mean it to sound like a moan, i just know how it works with the local media when they look for people to interview.

I have nothing to do with the Supporters' Club.

When I say 'representative', what I meant was, BBC Radio Leicester will be playing snippets from that interview tomorrow, and if another Brighton fan heard it and thought 'hang on, that's not what I think about the club...', I apologise if they think I was speaking on their behalf.

I wasn't, I was only giving MY view.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There are a fair few people walking round the city with some sort of Brighton & Hove Albion paraphernalia on these days, especially at the weekend, irrespective of whether Brighton are at home or not.

I just wouldn't interview anyone if they happened to be in Churchill Square.

what?

i was responding to brians point about shirts in churchill square.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I know that it is not the fault of TLO but I really object when any one person is quoted as being representative of Brighton fans. This always happens with the TV & Radio when they speak to Liz Costa. If they want a fans perspective on an issue go to Churchill square and ask passers by who are obviously fans wearing the shirts , hats, or scarves etc or just put a sign up saying if you are a Brighton fan and want to be interviewed come and speak to us.

It doesn't matter who they interview, - TLO, Liz Costa, you, me or someone random in an Albion shirt in Churchill Square - if they only interview one person, it will only be that person's view and not representative. Even if they interviewed four people it might not be representative.

How do you get a representative view of Brighton supporters? You can't, because our views are so diverse.

Someone ringing from Radio Leicester can hardly get a representative view and wouldn't expect it. He was speaking to a Brighton supporter who gave his views. I don't have a problem with that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh, Churchill Square specifically (rather than the rest of the city) - there are some people in Brighton shirts in there. No, really.

I just wouldn't interview anyone whose shopping habits include that place - that's what I meant.

:snobbybastard:

sorry mate i am just a thick northerner, i havent the faintest idea what you are on about.

your wit is wasted on me

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was just using Churchill Sq as an example it could be anywhere in Brighton and to answer Knotty I appreciate that it is an` individuals opinion and views but that is not how the media portray it. They make it sound as if it is a general view held by the vast majority.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think if you stopped a random 10 people in Brighton about 3 in 20 will be a Brighton fan, probably less. It just isnt a major part of the city, especially as people come from everywhere to live here.

It will be hard to find 10 Brighton fans with the same opinion too

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Don't disagree with anything you said apart from about the Withdean food. Don't get me wrong, its hardly gourmet, but its decent for football ground food. Christ, did you try one of the burgers at Roots Hall? Makes me retch just thinking about it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
There is a profound tragedy in the predictability that someone like you (or, indeed ACTUALLY you) would come up with something as pointless and as cretinous as that. I suppose it's comforting to know that in an ever-shifting world, there are some things that don't change.

Besides, what's the point of LOOKING at someone who's on the RADIO? :shrug:

I was referring to this thread dumbass! How the f*** am I going to listen to radio Leicester? I live in Sussex.

If anyone is interested I can give them an in-depth break down of what I did today? But I'm sure no body does, a bit like no body cares about you and your micro celebrity status that you think you have so why start a thread about it? I'd say it was...hmmmmm pointless and cretinous actually!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was referring to this thread dumbass! How the f*** am I going to listen to radio Leicester? I live in Sussex.

If anyone is interested I can give them an in-depth break down of what I did today? But I'm sure no body does, a bit like no body cares about you and your micro celebrity status that you think you have so why start a thread about it? I'd say it was...hmmmmm pointless and cretinous actually!

Apparently he has the perfect face for radio anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
...then I apologise right now. :down:

Let me explain...

I have just been interviewed by BBC Radio Leicester for a ‘Brighton fan’s perspective’ on tomorrow’s game. Just a quick two minute interview, which kind of caught me unaware as I am at work and wasn’t expecting the call.

Anyhoo, after putting the interviewer right about not calling our ground ‘The’ Withdean, he asked a few questions, and I probably came across a bit glib, maybe even miserable (this hour’s time difference thing has f***ed my head up).

It went something like this...

RL: Talk us through Withdean...

TLO: It wouldn’t take more than four seconds, it’s an awful ground - there’s a running track, a football pitch, some seats that are miles from the pitch - Leicester fans bring your binoculars - and that’s about it.

RL: So getting an atmosphere going is quite hard.

TLO: It is. there are no roofs, the best covering we have is the trees behind the main stand - the Theatre of Trees we call our place. The away fans, as I said are miles away from the pitch, so getting a good head of atmosphere going is nigh on impossible. It’s more like a doctor’s waiting room at times.

RL: Tell us about Brighton, it’s quite vibrant and cosmopolitan, we hear...

TLO: Yeah, it’s a great place. The sun is always shining, except on Withdean, you’ve got the sea one side and the Downs the other, and an interesting cross-section of fun, frivolity and wierdos at all points in-between. It’s basically a shame for the Leicester fans that the fixture wasn’t on a Saturday - you could have had a good weekend here.

RL: Tell us about the food down there...

TLO: The food? Well, there’s plenty of decent places to eat in central Brighton, but as for food at Withdean, just don’t.

RL: So, do you sell sticks of rock instead of hot dogs at Withdean?

TLO: Arf, arf. No.

RL: So you’ve now got ex-Leicester manager Micky Adams in charge. How’s it going with him down there?

TLO: Not as well as it should be. We had a decent manager in place last year who wanted to focus on the youth team and brought through about a dozen youngsters, some of whom are playing in the first team now. Micky has come in and brought his own ideas which don’t appear to be gelling yet - which is probably why we’re in 18th.

RL: And you’ve got quite a character down there now that Leicester fans know all about... Robbie Savage.

TLO: Yeah, for someone with his reputation, he’s come in and calmed things down a bit. Put his foot on the ball, and played the simple stuff. I’m not sure what reception Leicester fans will give him, but we think he’s OK. Not the best signing we’ve made, but not the worst either.

RL: Finally, some fighting talk. What do you think tomorrow’s result will be?

TLO: Heart says a lively 2-2 draw. Head says a Leicester win.

I tried to be more upbeat, but seeing as it was off the cuff stuff that I didn’t really stop to think about, it was probably more honest than upbeat.

Yeah, a few decent soundbites there. Large boy dun good :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here