Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He fits the profile the FA seem to want, which is someone English, bland in character, and not likely to be exposed to have taken a backhander here or there, or otherwise embarrass the FA.
But I don't think he is right for any national team job, where you get players for short periods of time. Would be funny to see him trying England players in weird positions though.
That would suit him right down to the ground. He'd have an even easier life than he had at Brighton. And the generation of England players just starting to come through are so talented that he'd having limited scope for screwing things up. And practically zero likelihood of getting sacked

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That would suit him right down to the ground. He'd have an even easier life than he had at Brighton. And the generation of England players just starting to come through are so talented that he'd having limited scope for screwing things up. And practically zero likelihood of getting sacked
Saka and Foden at wing back.

*taps nose*

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Coppell became one of the favourite managers of the 00's amongst some Albion fans... (Yes he did) Despite being a Palace legend (aha), falling asleep in his interview, getting us relegated, then f***ing off to Reading for free. (Yep, we were a skint basketcase playing in an athletics stadium) I remember cringing when some fans were suggesting him as a candidate for future vacancies (furry muff).

Potter in comparison did NOTHING wrong (err, yes he did, he was tapped up, planned and plotted his move in advance and gutted the coaching set up of Albions coaches, unless of course you really believe, that Boehlys first official approach to BHAFC on a Tuesday, really resulted in all the parties discussing the options, agreeing all terms, discussing it all with their families, as they all signed and had left the club by the Thursday), but rather the opposite. He built the greatest ever Albion team (Err, no he didnt, you're re-writing history. Starlizard's algorithms along with Dan Ashworth and Paul Winstanley found the players, Potter simply coached the players others had provided), then did what EVERY other manager in his position would do (Err no they wouldnt, some actually have integrity and while the ambition is understandable, the actions, the pre plotting and taking everything for his personal gain is not what normal people do, its what self centred arseholes do) without and lack of, and left for an insanely rich big 6 club (ambition fine, salary understandable, manner totally underhand and selfish). Yet he seems to be villain number one amongst a vocal few on here. Bizarre. (No He's not villain number 1, he's a former coach that we endured through a lot of tough times with extreme patience, who not only left, he talked us down, and left in a manner withour any respect and not becoming of the opportunity, patience or respect he himself was given, he made his bed, he dumped the club and we all moved on, except now some nutjobs clearly didnt move on and try and sell a false narrative and change the facts putting Potter before Tony Bloom or Brighton and Hove Albion - Bizarre)
Edited for Accuracy.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I've not seen that article, but I was told that the club will be looking to make five "first-team-ready" signings this summer.

Seems to largely match Naylor's info.
That’s exciting. The Athletic is missing a trick not just having you write the Albion
Also his 3-4-1-2 is still my favourite formation. But doesn't suit our squad full of wingers, forwards and players who all want to be that 1 in the hole. Just don't think 3-4-2-1 ever works as well as the whole point is the width comes from the wingbacks. Even if the 2 start semi wide and cut in the whole front 3 don't quite cover the right spaces. Same with 2 in the hole, it just doesn't work the same as the back line have enough spare players to mark 2 'free role' players compared to when are 2 big threats plus the one of those. England might do it better with Kane as the 1, but it still never seems to quite work for me.
if you think of it as a 3-4-3 it could work. Barco seems tailor made as the left side of the 4 and Solly is good on the right if he can get fit. We’d need to upgrade Lamptey on the right and Igor as LCB but I think that’s true anyway, and we know we need strengthening in CM. But the 3 up front seems the easy part. Perm any 3 from Welbeck, Pedro, Ferguson, Mitoma, Enciso, Buonanotte, Adingra, Osman.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
This is what makes the thread so bizarre. 30 bazillion posts about whether we should accept Potter's return.

Very few asking "what is in it for him to return?" He's just turned down Ajax, the England job is likely to be available in a month. He's been linked to many bigger jobs. Forget what we would do, it would be a very odd move for him. He wants to take his career forwards.

I can kind of accept the argument that he might want to remain local. But I just don't see him taking a job where he knows he'll be a controversial appointment at best and widely despised at worst.

Even if we offered him the job (which we won't), he would turn it down. Apart from anything else the timings don't work. He's blatantly going to wait to see if the England job becomes available. By the time the FA are looking to recruit, we'll have wanted to get someone in by then.
But what happens if England do well. Win the Euros and Southgate is hailed as a tactical genius ( unlikely I know) and decides to stay on to the World Cup.
Potter will have been out of a job for c 18 months and the only job on offer is Nottingham Forest or Leeds.
I don’t want him by the way, but just hypothesising.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
But what happens if England do well. Win the Euros and Southgate is hailed as a tactical genius ( unlikely I know) and decides to stay on to the World Cup.
Potter will have been out of a job for c 18 months and the only job on offer is Nottingham Forest or Leeds.
No way Southgate stays if we win. That’s the perfect going out on a high

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
You can put me in the 0.1% then.
Said it before and I'll say it again:
I do not think the club are considering Potter, but if they were to appoint him, my ticket would be listed every single game until the bastard fucks off again.
Nothing to do with coaching ability, it's all about principles
Are there principles in this game of ours?
Maybe playing styles but when it comes to cold hard cash many individuals principles are nowhere to be seen.
And surely it should all be about "coaching ability"

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I think Southgate is on a lose lose here. If he looses he's a tactical incompetent and couldn't win with some of the best players this country has produced, or, if he wins he had some of the best players this country has produced what did you expect?

Not sure I want to see him in the Albion dug out though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think Southgate is on a lose lose here. If he looses he's a tactical incompetent and couldn't win with some of the best players this country has produced, or, if he wins he had some of the best players this country has produced what did you expect?

Not sure I want to see him in the Albion dug out though.
Whenever he does better than expected at tournaments (e.g. 2018 World Cup, 2020(1) Euros) it's because the easy fixtures got him as far as they did and it was definitely his fault we lost the vital game (even on penalties). When he does badly, of course, it's all his fault.

For me he was quite exciting at the start of his England stint but at some point he lost his a***hole and started playing incredibly safely. 2 CDMs even in easy games. Maguire and Hendo the trusted lieutenants. Recently he seems to be coming out of that and once again picking on form and setting the attackers a little freer. You can only think that's because it's his last tournament whatever and the fear of the sack has disappeared.

He's got decent tournament results in the main and, IMO, is more sinned against than sinning.

That said, I'd rather have Potter back than have him here :lolol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd be surprised if Southgate stays on whatever happens. There will be a vacancy, but there is no pressure on the FA to fill it much before the next round of Nations League fixtures

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
No way Southgate stays if we win. That’s the perfect going out on a high
Disagree strongly. If he manages to help England getting over that (mainly) psychological threshold I really think he wants to take his group of winners to the real tournament in two years.

Going out in the semi or losing the final would be too draining. And any less than that, he gets sacked.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Going out in the semi or losing the final would be too draining. And any less than that, he gets sacked.
He’s achieved about par in each tournament so far given the squad he had.

I think he’ll achieve about par here as well, which probably equals a narrow semi final defeat to a very decent side, whilst playing well and scoring a few, but conceding too many to win a tournament

But I guess there are other threads to discuss this. This one is to organise the printing of the Potter out banner before he’s even appointed

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Are there principles in this game of ours?
Maybe playing styles but when it comes to cold hard cash many individuals principles are nowhere to be seen.
And surely it should all be about "coaching ability"
His ability to coach will be hampered by the baggage he has. But ignoring that, if TB has an algorithm for coach success, relative to ability of their squad, Potter wouldnt show up anywhere near the top on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here