Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We will sign quality players this summer. We're just not letting the manager decide who these players are.
We're not an amateur club from Italy, we're not rehiring the guy we let go two weeks ago.
We are also not re-hiring the guy who left us in the lurch 2 years ago. (y)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Be honest, had you heard of RDZ before he was recruited? Or Herr Glassner for them lot up the road? Or Iraolo for the Muff? I think there's plenty of good managers around Europe and further afield and I'm sure there's some that could be tempted to come to the EPL and our setup is really quite good.

Cooper, Martin and the Dour Brummie all are very uninspiring as managers. Not because they're English but because their football is sending us back in terms of excitement, entertainment value and more than likely, results. Yes I go to football to be excited and entertained so sue me.
I think it does read as 'because they're English' though. If Potter had done what he did at Brighton at an Italian club, we'd be salivating at the idea.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Martin Samuel writing in The Sunday Times reckons this appointment is crucial to the Club's future in the PL (pay wall so can't share). Get it wrong, he says, and we're down. The bloke is not a fan of Clubs who continually flog their best assets, as there is ultimately a price to pay. You can duck and dive for a while, but you are only one bad appointment from the Championship.

I don't normally agree with him, but I do in this case. And the longer this goes on the more concerned I become.

Will be very happy for this to be proved wrong (again).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Martin Samuel writing in The Sunday Times reckons this appointment is crucial to the Club's future in the PL (pay wall so can't share). Get it wrong, he says, and we're down. The bloke is not a fan of Clubs who continually flog their best assets, as there is ultimately a price to pay. You can duck and dive for a while, but you are only one bad appointment from the Championship.

I don't normally agree with him, but I do in this case. And the longer this goes on the more concerned I become.

I’d suggest to Mr Samuel that as long as you are acquiring potentially top assets at a faster rate than selling them, you should be ok. We had a glitch in the system this year though, they either weren’t ready development-wise or they were injured. Fortunately, Bloom and Barber tend not to repeat their mistakes (if finishing 1st in a Euro group and 11th in the EPL can be seen as failure).

The risk is, the chunks of coal we unearth stop turning into diamonds.

I am concerned about us replacing Dunk, Groß and March eventually.

But then there are also a number of young players with very high windows of development including Ferguson, Enciso, Adingra, Rushworth, Baleba and Buonanotte.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I think last nights Champions League final was evidence that Martin Samuel is wrong. Borussia Dortmund have been doing it for years.

It only fails if you're not very good at it, but that can be said of anything.

Last season was an anomaly, we sold our 2 best players and suffered season ending injuries to March and Mitoma. We lost Julio Enciso for 32 games. And our wonder boy striker was carrying an injury for half the season. Yet we still only finished mid table.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Ok so he's a fan of some teams in the Saudi league and six or seven clubs (PSG, Bayern, City, Arsenal, Real Madrid and arguably some other similar sized clubs) in Europe. What difference does it do to us that this guy only is a fan of gigantic football corporations when we're not ever going to be one of them?

Relegation WILL happen one day (that's football), but as long as Tony is the owner, the club will spend more time in the PL than in any other division. Not much to fear aside from the blow to the ego though - I strongly get the impression people in general have more fun watching their team in the Championship where there's more than a handful of clubs who can win stuff or score a 100 goals in a season.

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
Ok so he's a fan of some teams in the Saudi league and six or seven clubs (PSG, Bayern, City, Arsenal, Real Madrid and arguably some other similar sized clubs) in Europe. What difference does it do to us that this guy only is a fan of gigantic football corporations when we're not ever going to be one of them?

Relegation WILL happen one day (that's football), but as long as Tony is the owner, the club will spend more time in the PL than in any other division. Not much to fear aside from the blow to the ego though - I strongly get the impression people in general have more fun watching their team in the Championship where there's more than a handful of clubs who can win stuff or score a 100 goals in a season.
Martin Samuel is a West Ham fan. He knows about relegation.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think it does read as 'because they're English' though. If Potter had done what he did at Brighton at an Italian club, we'd be salivating at the idea.
What...... finish just outside the relegation places, cant buy a goal, go on the Italian clubs worse ever losing streak, get dumped out the cups every year and then finish just above mid table in 9th before jumping ship to Roma, gutting whole coaching set up?

I think something might be coming out of the mouth but it sure ain't salivating!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

That's true. But that's only because they are the main 3 we are linked to.

I was the same with Kompany who is no longer a prospect of course. Fortunately.

There's plenty of foreign managers I'd add to the list if we were linked to, for example Nuno Espirito Santo, Mohrinio, Conte, Van Miserable etc... But we're not linked to them.

:shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’d suggest to Mr Samuel that as long as you are acquiring potentially top assets at a faster rate than selling them, you should be ok. We had a glitch in the system this year though, they either weren’t ready development-wise or they were injured. Fortunately, Bloom and Barber tend not to repeat their mistakes (if finishing 1st in a Euro group and 11th in the EPL can be seen as failure).

The risk is, the chunks of coal we unearth stop turning into diamonds.

I am concerned about us replacing Dunk, Groß and March eventually.

But then there are also a number of young players with very high windows of development including Ferguson, Enciso, Adingra, Rushworth, Baleba and Buonanotte.
Agreed

I'd add Hinshelwood, and Barco to that list . . .also bear in mind the likes of JPVH who is now established and the Dunk replacement, WBG etc

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014

Talking about selling your best assets Dortmund have sold Jason Sancho, Erling Harland and Jude Bellingham in successive seasons and still reached the Final of the Champions Cup. I’d quite like failure like that! :D

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Potter’s ambitions are very high if he thinks his next job should be England or Man United. He had two seasons with us fighting relegation and then a season finishing 9th after a good end to the season.
He then failed at Chelsea with them barely able to score. He now wants the England or Man United job. Wow.
If we offered him the Brighton job, he’d be off again as soon as a ‘better’ offer came along.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

He’s actually just a shill for Newcastle/ Saudi. Constantly says PSR shouldn’t apply to them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Kiss and make make up with Bob seems the sensible choice, meet him half way two quality players instead of four and get on with preparing for next season.
That 100% isn’t happening, which is why we need to find someone as good and not go backwards.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
That's true. But that's only because they are the main 3 we are linked to.

I was the same with Kompany who is no longer a prospect of course. Fortunately.

There's plenty of foreign managers I'd add to the list if we were linked to, for example Nuno Espirito Santo, Mohrinio, Conte, Van Miserable etc... But we're not linked to them.

:shrug:
The "links" are vague at best. Would consider it likely we at least talked to McKenna. Steve Cooper... the "The Argus understands that suggestions that Albion are “leading the race” for the Welshman are false" to me sounds like agent talk for "there's no/limited interest in my client but saying it like this make it sounds like everyone's all over him".

More likely than not going with a foreign name. We can rule out Nuno because he is the manager of another PL club. Mourinho and Conte are defensive minded coaches and we're an attacking minded club. Not to mention they eat money. Van Nistelrooy not likely as he's too inexperienced but can't be entirely ruled out.

I think any possible target is recommended to stay out of media engagement if they want to job and that more likely than not we're (as in us fans) not knowing who it is until the same day or the day before we announce him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What...... finish just outside the relegation places, cant buy a goal, go on the Italian clubs worse ever losing streak, get dumped out the cups every year and then finish just above mid table in 9th before jumping ship to Roma, gutting whole coaching set up?

I think something might be coming out of the mouth but it sure ain't salivating!

Me thinks the hatred is strong with this one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here