Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So we're now at the "What if Graham Potter was your daughter?" and "Would you leave your stabbed mate dying on a floor in a pub if Graham Potter was our manager?"

Someone needs to write books with these titles.
Season 2 of Dr Who covers both of these scenarios, so.im told.

FWIW if its Potter then we'll just have to accept Tony Blooms decision. Can imagine the press conference being the likes off
"We've had loads of top quality candidates and Graham was top of our list and we're delighted to welcome him back. He did a fantastic job which Roberto continued and although we were naturally disappointed when Graham left us for Chelsea, he has always been held in high regard by us. Graham knows the club inside out, how we operate and comes back to us to continue his excellent work with the added experience he gained in his previous role. We're sure that he can further build on the work Roberto did with our promising young squad and we look forward to next season and know our supporters will welcome Graham back enthusiastically."
Graham's reply is a simple " it was an easy decision to make" 🙂

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
FWIW if its Potter then we'll just have to accept Tony Blooms decision. Can imagine the press conference being the likes off
"We've had loads of top quality candidates and Graham was top of our list and we're delighted to welcome him back. He did a fantastic job which Roberto continued and although we were naturally disappointed when Graham left us for Chelsea, he has always been held in high regard by us. Graham knows the club inside out, how we operate and comes back to us to continue his excellent work with the added experience he gained in his previous role. We're sure that he can further build on the work Roberto did with our promising young squad and we look forward to next season and know our supporters will welcome Graham back enthusiastically."
Graham's reply is a simple " it was an easy decision to make" 🙂
If that's PBOBE talking it's 5,800 words too short.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think this also comes into the motivation factor, we then lost, Again against Villa, with a fully fit squad. Signs and stats suggest that RDZ would have rectified this with a win, I think a lot of this is glossed over to the extreme, his motivational skills, were poor.
Completely agree. He’s uninspiring and ‘the ability to inspire’ is a key competency for a coach/ manager.
Took time to seep through at Chelsea, but it eventually did.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Potter’s reign blurs in to the continued possession style of RDZ. I‘m looking at the run of results in the 22/23 season before he left, as a reminder. Impressive set of results but puzzling myself why the overriding memory is how useless his tactics were at Fulham‘s 2-1 defeat.
How did we get on this season at Fulham BTW?

How were our tactics that day?

SAC

May 21, 2014
How so? Ipswich need a lot of work, Leicester will likely get a points deduction & Saints will probably struggle.
I think all three could struggle but I'd be surprised if anyone could survive on just 26/27 points next season.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Let me start by saying i also would not be enamoured by a Potter return but i am curious to know whether you also saw RDZ's body language and statements this season as disrespectful because i am sure i did.
I think RDZ's comments weren't meant to be disrespectful to TB and PB, but his grasp of English and his phrasing made them sound more critical than intended.
His frustration at the injury situation boiled over at times, and his passionate temperament got the better of him.
Perhaps I was just more patient with him because of the fantastic season we had in 2022-23.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Completely agree. He’s uninspiring and ‘the ability to inspire’ is a key competency for a coach/ manager.
Took time to seep through at Chelsea, but it eventually did.

Wasn't that part of De Zerbi's downfall though? He lost the motivation to inspire the team, hence our Potteresque end to the season?

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
I for one will feel flat if GP returns. Comparing where we are at this moment, with that hot afternoon in Marseille, full of excitement, expectations, confidence, (Beer).
Nothing personal with GP, but ì feel we will be starting the journey back at the start, rather than moving further forward.
Snakes and Ladders

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
However disappointed we are with a particular appointment, whoever it is, surely we will continue supporting the Albion
I have refused to attend The Withdean since Dick Tight sacked Dean Wilkins and so has my Sidney, although that is partially due to him doing 15 years in Wandsworth for embezzlement

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think a lot more was made of it than was necessary, I think a lot was lost in translation.

Just like there was a cult of Potter there is now a cult of De Zerbi.

Calling out the owner, the model he signed up for, the players and whinging like a good ‘un cannot be lost in translation, imo. Don’t get me wrong, I bloody loved RDZ until we started getting a few thrashings, partly due to RDZ’s tactics, partly due to injuries and the number of games and his demeanour and charm changed dramatically imo. He had to go

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just like there was a cult of Potter there is now a cult of De Zerbi.

Calling out the owner, the model he signed up for, the players and whinging like a good ‘un cannot be lost in translation, imo. Don’t get me wrong, I bloody loved RDZ until we started getting a few thrashings, partly due to RDZ’s tactics, partly due to injuries and the number of games and his demeanour and charm changed dramatically imo. He had to go
I don't think he had to go, the post Roma comments I agree were bad, but the comments before that I never got the fuss over it.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I don't think he had to go, the post Roma comments I agree were bad, but the comments before that I never got the fuss over it.
It was the comments after Roma until a couple of weeks before the end of the season that I was alluding to, when I assumed he had had a talking to because he then went more upbeat and our performances improved. Real shame as I think, with a less volatile ego he could have taken us even further :down:

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Potter does return then I suggest we get another crowdfunded flag, replacing "Sforza De Zerbi - The Italian Job" with "Potter The Magician - It Is What It Is"

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
If Potter does return then I suggest we get another crowdfunded flag, replacing "Sforza De Zerbi - The Italian Job" with "Potter The Magician - It Is What It Is"
Just a big neutral-coloured flag with “it is what it is” and nothing else would be better at first. Everyone could get behind that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just a big neutral-coloured flag with “it is what it is” and nothing else would be better at first. Everyone could get behind that.
"IT I$ WHAT IT I$" in grey and beige

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here