Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I would take your points in order;

1. England have an absolutely terrible track record of coaching appointments, going back pretty much 30 years since Terry Venebles. Sven was the exception, and boring Southgate is hardly setting the world alight. Do you want him?

2. Graham Potter is not as good a manager as Alex Ferguson. Mad comparison.

3. Chris Hughton was also improving the team as time went on, I don't want him back either.
My reply to your reply!

I’m no lover of Gareth Southgate, and yes he is over cautious, but reaching a World Cup semifinal and a Euros final is not to be sniffed at. You’re spot on with Venables and England had a great team then.

Yes, Hughton was a wonderful manager for us. Unfortunately, his style and system did not work in 2018/19. Dare I say the same for De Zerbi in 2024?

As for Ferguson I was referring to how long it took him to start achieving acceptance for his methods. Hardly a mad comparison.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Potter won’t come back UNLESS it’s TBs last choice. IF Potter did come back he and the club would have to put up with a lot of pre season bed wetting and some lost season ticket sales (I suspect). The only way Potter stays past the 10th match (including pre season) is IF it’s a 10 match unbeaten run including the first 6wks of the season.

If Potter loses the first 2/3 Prem games TB will have to sack because the fans won’t tolerate anymore from Potter. It’s for that reason I really don’t see Potter coming back.
So those STH's support the managerial appointment not the club?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake.

Do you not see the flaw in your argument? I've gone to the trouble of finding the entire quote so it can be taken in context, only for you to clip the part originally taken in isolation and misconstrued in the first place, to use as a counterargument.

Tony Bloom is a cold-blooded businessman. He doesn't allow sentiment to cloud his thinking.

His 'loyalty' was shown because he analyses football as a statistical entity not only on full-time results. So whilst you're complaining about winless runs, smarter folk can see the improvement in the underlying data. Statistically, things were always going to improve, and they did.

Graham was offered a job with a better salary, better players and a greater chance of success. Frankly, he would have been an idiot to turn it down and the club knew it. Tony could have said no when Todd came calling, but he had already factored in Graham's worth to the club as an asset and decided to allow him to go for £20m+ compensation.

That same £20M+ asset is now available for free and you think Tony isn't tempted to make a business decision, regardless of sentiment?

I am not saying Graham will come back, nor that he should, But you can be certain Tony wouldn't be so stupid as to dismiss the idea just because of a tabloid quote.
I get this, but that was the reason for his sacking at Chelsea, the underlying data was getting worse. Taking sentiment out of it completely, he really isn't what we need.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
For someone so laid back, and dare I say it, vanilla, he certainly elicits some big emotions.
I’ll take any manager at this point. It is less about the appointment and more about the performances/results on the pitch.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Do those who complained we weren't McKenna's first choice have similar reservations about the possibility of Potter settling for a return to Brighton having likely held out for the England or Man Utd gig?

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
A huge part of that was bringing in Caicedo, a good decision, but one made out of necessity, but either way that slump once we hit it, was six games which saw us go from European contenders to having to look over our shoulders at relegation.
European contenders? At the start of January we were 10th and 9 points behind 6th place (Spurs I think). I believe Potter conceded that he should have brought on Caicedo much earlier on in the season.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I get this, but that was the reason for his sacking at Chelsea, the underlying data was getting worse. Taking sentiment out of it completely, he really isn't what we need.
Really not sure there was much time to collect any meaningful data

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
I still like Potter, and wish him well in whatever he does in his career. However, some of the things he did as part of his man management - trips to the theatre etc, how do you get a squad to buy in to all that again after leaving the project early last time?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I was at that game and we looked really good. Our next home game was Burnley which was an absolute ’mare losing 3-0. It went tits up following that until the Arsenal game.
I think this also comes into the motivation factor, we then lost, Again against Villa, with a fully fit squad. Signs and stats suggest that RDZ would have rectified this with a win, I think a lot of this is glossed over to the extreme, his motivational skills, were poor.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
And if he is appointed, what then? :wink:
A healthy dose of booing and a sacrificial season ticket incineration would seem to be in order.

In truth I’m not sure what I’d do, but I wouldn’t be happy and I’d probably lose interest for a while, my mojo would be too low for zero.

If you actually think about it, GP represents the least worst option, which when you think about it again absolutely SUCKS.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Potter won’t come back UNLESS it’s TBs last choice. IF Potter did come back he and the club would have to put up with a lot of pre season bed wetting and some lost season ticket sales (I suspect). The only way Potter stays past the 10th match (including pre season) is IF it’s a 10 match unbeaten run including the first 6wks of the season.

If Potter loses the first 2/3 Prem games TB will have to sack because the fans won’t tolerate anymore from Potter. It’s for that reason I really don’t see Potter coming back.

Fans weren't tolerating Hyypia and yet Bloom rejected Sami's resignation. Fans have been hugely against not being able to share season tickets and other decisions taken by the club which Bloom hasn't moved on.

He is rich and powerful enough to not need to care too much about what fans think. More likely if we lose the first 2/3 games, PBOBE will write a 1500 word lecture in the programme about how 90% of fans have written to him supporting Potter and that everyone else should do the same.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He probably isn't. but not for footballing reasons.

As for Chelsea, who knows why they do anything. Poch's underlying figures were on the up and they let him go.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
if he wasn't a “bloody good coach" Cha-Ching-sea would not have wanted him.
Ah yes, with their absolutely impeccable record of successful appointments...

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
...I do hope the club offer special commemorative paper/card season tickets.

It's going to be a right struggle to tear up my iPhone before throwing it at someone in disgust. Lobbing it from the West Stand Upper could also present a potential hazard to the 1901ers below.

I'd happily pay a tenner so I could have a more traditional ticketing format to enable me to protest as I see fit.

Please don't, I'll lob it back at you...unless you've left it logged into NSC ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here