Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Potter and Bruno coming back would be an absolutely farcial decision. I cannot believe it is even being talked about

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Potter will have been one of the top targets from the very beginning.

Obviously the man we wanted was McKenna, that much has been known for a while, but Potter was surely number two all along.

Really excited about the latest developments.
It's a mistake to go back, we put up with enough crap the first time, Mustafa II.

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
Clearly the best man for the job but it won't happen as a lot of middle aged men are upset that a man tried to better his career and family's life a couple of years ago.
Similar to another group of middle aged men who are currently very upset that instead of going back to the manager who previously left us, we might now be looking at a slightly younger man trying to better his career and family's life? ;)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Similar to another group of middle aged men who are currently very upset that instead of going back to the manager who previously left us, we might now be looking at a slightly younger man trying to better his career and family's life? ;)
Hey, I’m not middled aged yet! 😂

And although I think Potter is the best qualified man for the job, I’m not sure I want him to get it as can’t be arsed with the backlash from the anti’s to be honest.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I've only just seen the very start of this thread, and it seems the internet age has completely deprived some people of the ability to recognise a tongue stuck in a cheek, or even an overt joke.

For what it's worth on Potter – and begging forgiveness if all this has all been said in the almost 70 pages that I'm not going to trawl through – my own view is that it's hard to cross bridges that have been so thoroughly burned. I don't necessarily believe chapter and verse of the old football shibboleth 'never go back'; for me, a lot of it depends on context and the nature of departure. But in this case, putting aside personal antipathy for Potter and trying to think objectively, he and therefore the club would kind of be on a hiding to nothing. What sort of honeymoon period is he going to enjoy if he's reappointed? I think most people would take that grown-up view that the club comes first, and be supportive. But that would not last a run of six games without a goal, as we once went through, for example - Bozza's iphone and a host of other devices would come raining down on the pitch with some force in those circumstances.

I'd also question the disconnect between the club's oft-trumpeted model of succession planning if they go back to somebody who's already left us - for all that he speaks so convincingly and reassuringly, could Barber really continue to make that claim with a straight face?

It's all just rumour, for now, of course. Most likely it'll be somebody out of left field and they were never contemplating Potter in the first place.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
It's all just rumour, for now, of course. Most likely it'll be somebody out of left field and they were never contemplating Potter in the first place.
Guardian and others all seem convinced they are contemplating Potter, which is concerning, given the other names that have been touted. All said and done, they don't seem particularly set on any one individual and are hedging their bets based on some uncertaintities. Not very Brighton.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I've only just seen the very start of this thread, and it seems the internet age has completely deprived some people of the ability to recognise a tongue stuck in a cheek, or even an overt joke.

For what it's worth on Potter – and begging forgiveness if all this has all been said in the almost 70 pages that I'm not going to trawl through – my own view is that it's hard to cross bridges that have been so thoroughly burned. I don't necessarily believe chapter and verse of the old football shibboleth 'never go back'; for me, a lot of it depends on context and the nature of departure. But in this case, putting aside personal antipathy for Potter and trying to think objectively, he and therefore the club would kind of be on a hiding to nothing. What sort of honeymoon period is he going to enjoy if he's reappointed? I think most people would take that grown-up view that the club comes first, and be supportive. But that would not last a run of six games without a goal, as we once went through, for example - Bozza's iphone and a host of other devices would come raining down on the pitch with some force in those circumstances.

I'd also question the disconnect between the club's oft-trumpeted model of succession planning if they go back to somebody who's already left us - for all that he speaks so convincingly and reassuringly, could Barber really continue to make that claim with a straight face?

There's surely something to it.

If this Hurzeler guy gets us 10th, nearly everyone will be happy.

With Potter, people think that we had "two dire seasons" because he didn't manage to get a relegation-tipped side to continental football. Those unreal expectations would be the same now - the team would have to finish 6th or better or people would spend their days and nights crying about how they're entitled to something better.

With a new face, we get optimism from the start, a long honeymoon, and people lowering their expectations to sane levels.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Clearly the best man for the job but it won't happen as a lot of middle aged men are upset that a man tried to better his career and family's life a couple of years ago.
Even if you forget the history, he isn't clearly the best man for the job. He has some more experience than others, but other than his last dozen games with us, his time in England isn't that special, in terms of results.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Even if you forget the history, he isn't clearly the best man for the job. He has some more experience than others, but other than his last dozen games with us, his time in England isn't that special, in terms of results.

Conveniently ignoring that he transformed perpetual relegation candidates with one of the smallest Premier League budgets into what has become an established Premier League side, through developing young talents into some of the best Albion players ever.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Conveniently ignoring that he transformed perpetual relegation candidates with one of the smallest Premier League budgets into what has become an established Premier League side, through developing young talents into some of the best Albion players ever.
I said in terms of results, how many more wins or points than 2 seasons of Hughton, did Potter get in 2 seasons?
Then have a look at season 3 and see how it was after 30 games.
Fortunes changed when Caicedo got games, and he had spent more time at Beerschott than in Potters sessions, so don't be saying it was all Potter's coaching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here