Sheepcote:

Sheepx5.jpg

Which one of these is not a sheep?

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
DTES said:
I think we'll be fine filling it.

Even if it struggles at first, with a quality stadium it'll be no problem to run events such as kids/school trips for £5, get them in young. And student discount will bring people in from the Universities. People will check it out, and see how great it is. Others will go just to make sure that Lord Bracknell didn't read 1,500 pages for nothing.

It make take a couple of years, but the fan base will be there - our catchment area will see to it.

I think you're right. It's such a shame a generation of kids have missed out on what I enjoyed as a youth.

The North Stand :bowdown:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why shouldn't we discuss the aftermath of a NO? Surely not because of the "No Plan B" party line?

Never mind the club, the fans have to brace themselves for whatever decision comes their way, and that includes the fallout from a NO.

There's only so many years fans can sit in an unsheltered athletics stadium. And if I was on the board I'd want to have some idea of the fans reaction to a NO decision.

Personally, one of the reasons I renew is because there is this notion in my mind that sometime soon there will be a Falmer YES.

If we get a NO then I could see myself taking a break for a year or two until we are that much closer to Sheepcote or wherever, but the danger is that loads of other fans will think like me, in which case season ticket sales could go through the floor for season 2008/09.

I hope the club have formulated some sort of strategy for operating on reduced gate money. This ludicrous situation where you either pay £450-odd for a season ticket or get in for a fiver at the end of the season penalises existing STHs, and the club need to get a lot smarter and offer a range of prices and blocks of tickets to fans, not just an "all or nothing" 24 matches deal.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the major concern is that most people buy their season tickets because of the money that they save, although they would like people to think it is done to help the club through lean financial times. This being the case I think that a lot of people will not renew and will use this season and the cheap promotions to get arses on seats as an indication of the future thus making the purchasse of a ST and the outlay not so encouraging.

I must admit I am reconsidering with my 3 STs.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Pavilionaire said:
Why shouldn't we discuss the aftermath of a NO? Surely not because of the "No Plan B" party line?

Never mind the club, the fans have to brace themselves for whatever decision comes their way, and that includes the fallout from a NO.

There's only so many years fans can sit in an unsheltered athletics stadium. And if I was on the board I'd want to have some idea of the fans reaction to a NO decision.

Personally, one of the reasons I renew is because there is this notion in my mind that sometime soon there will be a Falmer YES.

If we get a NO then I could see myself taking a break for a year or two until we are that much closer to Sheepcote or wherever, but the danger is that loads of other fans will think like me, in which case season ticket sales could go through the floor for season 2008/09.

I hope the club have formulated some sort of strategy for operating on reduced gate money. This ludicrous situation where you either pay £450-odd for a season ticket or get in for a fiver at the end of the season penalises existing STHs, and the club need to get a lot smarter and offer a range of prices and blocks of tickets to fans, not just an "all or nothing" 24 matches deal.

If it's a no, then I can't see they'll be enough money and want left to get planning permission for elsewhere. I suspect they'll try and stay at Withdean, if that gets rejected then it's find a team to share with. Worthing or Crawley. Basically it'll be wave goodbye to the championship for a while and fight for survival with low crowds.
Perhaps in a few years some extremely rich bloke will come in and try for planning permission again.

I don't know the in's and out's of sheepcote vs Falmer, but I see the arguments of LDC and Norman Baker against Falmer as totally floored. I've spent a lot of time at Falmer in my time, and the transport links are their and ready waiting. The place is overun by students, so there's no argument about drunken crowds on match days, there're tons of young drinkers on the site already (30 odd pubs also I think?). There's parking for the university already, so no probs there. There are sh1t loads of buildings and a sports hall and the gardener arts, etc, already, so would a stadium wouldn't really ruin the look of the place? The town is also already fecked by a great big road through the middle of it. Without heavy investment in transport upgrades, I really cannot think of anywhere better. Surely the government aren't so silly that they can't see this?

Also a major boost is winning the award for "in the community", it really shows how important this development is for the area.

I've written to Norman Baker a few times about this and with credit to him have had reply's. My opinion is that his alternatives are on another planet and any Govenment employee will see straight through it I'm sure.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I think that the major concern is that most people buy their season tickets because of the money that they save, although they would like people to think it is done to help the club through lean financial times. This being the case I think that a lot of people will not renew and will use this season and the cheap promotions to get arses on seats as an indication of the future thus making the purchasse of a ST and the outlay not so encouraging.

I must admit I am reconsidering with my 3 STs.

Why have you got three?

Fat bastard?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see EVER that the club would seek to make Withdean their permanent home.

And, hypothetically, if Falmer is a NO and the board were to say to the fans the new stadium is at least 3 years away I reckon a minimum of at least 1/4 of all season ticket holders would NOT renew.

That is based on feedback from my Albion circle. I actually think the true number would be over 1/3rd.

As it is, there are plenty of spare tickets for most matches in my circle of 10, and how many of us want to go to the full 24? Not many with kids, I'll wager.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Pavilionaire said:
I can't see EVER that the club would seek to make Withdean their permanent home.

And, hypothetically, if Falmer is a NO and the board were to say to the fans the new stadium is at least 3 years away I reckon a minimum of at least 1/4 of all season ticket holders would NOT renew.

That is based on feedback from my Albion circle. I actually think the true number would be over 1/3rd.

As it is, there are plenty of spare tickets for most matches in my circle of 10, and how many of us want to go to the full 24? Not many with kids, I'll wager.

When you look at the recent history of the club (please correct me if I'm factually wrong, but this is my understanding):
1, Sold the Goldstone due to crippling Debt that no-one came forward to pay off.
2, Moved to Gillingham as deemed no other suitable ground near Brighton.
3, DK takes over and moves back to a temporary ground at Withdean. Rightly Hailed as a saviour. Planning permission starts for Falmer.
4, We're still waiting many years on and Withdean makes a loss even if it's totally full. So the directors are dipping into their money to prevent the club going bust.

I dread to think how much it would cost to dump the plans for Falmer and start afresh if there is a No decision especially as Brighton Council are against Sheepcote (I hope I correct in saying that). I very much doubt BHA would waste the money all over again (or can afford to) without someone else coming in to financially help them.

So if it isn't Withdean at a loss what other option is there? Ground share with another team like Worthing, Crawley or Gillingham.

I'm sure Falmer will happen, and when it does people will come in with money (remember the ardillies rumour?). The only thing that must happen is that bums must be on the seats to ensure they don't get in the same debt as happened at the Goldstone.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Big Jim said:

I'm sure Falmer will happen, and when it does people will come in with money (remember the ardillies rumour?). The only thing that must happen is that bums must be on the seats to ensure they don't get in the same debt as happened at the Goldstone.

Is it not a fact that we now owe more than we ever did at The Goldstone, irrespective of the reasons etc but actual debt.

We will not survive without Falmer.

The reason I have 3 STs is for myself, my grandson and my brother in law who is mentally handicapped if I didnt have a ST nor would they. None the less I am a fat bastard but dont need 3 seats to sit on.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
SJ's Love Monkey said:

David Neighbour himself (off camera)
Lewes know it and are just trying to delay it as long as possible.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
BensGrandad said:
Is it not a fact that we now owe more than we ever did at The Goldstone, irrespective of the reasons etc but actual debt.

The reason I have 3 STs is for myself, my grandson and my brother in law who is mentally handicapped if I didnt have a ST nor would they. None the less I am a fat bastard but dont need 3 seats to sit on.

Blimey, didn't know that. So who's paying the interest rates? DK and co also? You've got to raise your hat to them.

Falmer will make all the difference when it happens. Players don't want to sign for a team with a ground like Withdean. Any sensible investors won't invest unless the club has a ground or plans for one (with permission granted). I agree if Falmer doesn't happen things look bleak, but I'm sure it will happen.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
we will get falmer we have to.
dont know why the club havnt put some spin on it to say it could be used as an olympic venue eg hockey even?training facilities for other sports or maybe even football as it would be one of the newest stadiums and then could even host some of the paraolypic sports good pr or what??? also may even get the club further grants to build and finance it? how about bringing that uop on radio harty xx

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
This is the time for strong spines and keeping the faith, I feel sure Ruth Kelly will give us the go ahead for Falmer.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
BensGrandad said:

Its still abit tight tho Brian :lolol: :lolol:

seagurn said:
we will get falmer we have to.
dont know why the club havnt put some spin on it to say it could be used as an olympic venue eg hockey even?training facilities for other sports or maybe even football as it would be one of the newest stadiums and then could even host some of the paraolypic sports good pr or what??? also may even get the club further grants to build and finance it? how about bringing that uop on radio harty xx
One of the RULES about the Olympics is that they are awarded to a CITY not a country.

It would also be silly to bring forward new ideas at this stage in the planning process:-

BHAFC:- "Falmer could be an asset for the Olympics"

LDC:- "That's a new idea. Has it been considered at a Public Inquiry?"

R Kelly:- "No. I'll re-open the Inquiry and find out what everyone thinks about it".

:shootself

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
British Bulldog said:
This is the time for strong spines and keeping the faith, I feel sure Ruth Kelly will give us the go ahead for Falmer.

Word.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Bearing in mind how close we now are to the promised land, thought it would be good to revive this thread as a bit of a flashback to what we could have ended up with! :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here