Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if falmer application fails?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Lord Bracknell said:
In the ENORMOUS PACKAGE of representations made to Ruth Kelly's department, there are several that emanate from residents of Falmer village who are arguing that the Club should stay at Withdean.

Good to see that Falmer residents/FPC and LDC are in harmony with what they think should happen.. :lolol:

They are seriously showing themselves up now...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just seen Dick Knight in his big car in North Road and congratulated him on the Community award. He seemed very happy and is very confident that we will win the day.:clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hang on, does anyone seriously believe that there would be a NO to a new ground on a brownfield site next to a busy dual carriageway and railway station but a YES to a permanent home in leafy, residential, upmarket Withdean??

If Falmer is a NO then I expect the club will immediately turn their sights to the next best site, (probably Sheepcote) and commit to Withdean for another 3 years.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have been told there is NO plan B. If falmer fails, then i expect we will remain at Withdean until our lease runs out or the money runs out.

If RK says No, then I expect that evening MP will resign as his main expertese is stadium project management and there would be no further point in him remaining at the club. I assume DK would follow quite quickly as he has pinned his reputation ( and £3.5 million of the clubs money) on getting a YES.

That would leave the Blooms and various other directors to sit down and see how long they could finance the club....which at current levels will probably be for a season.

i could see players leave before the start of the next season and we start the season with youngsters or those on low pay.

So basically what i am alluding to is RK's decision is not just about whether a stadium will be allowed at Falmer, but it relates to whether the club will survive. It is that simple.

certainly that is what we are being told and i have no reason to disbelieve the above.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is what I'd expect to happen in season 2007/08 if there is a Falmer NO in July:

1. A couple of bigger names sold in Summer 2007 to pay some bills - probably Hammond and Cox.

2. Boardroom, fan and some media pressure on Dick Knight and Martin Perry to resign their positions as Chairman and Chief Executive - I expect they'd both step down fairly quickly.

3. Application for ground at Sheepcote made.

4. Relegation from League 1. More players sold - Revell, Lynch.

I'd expect season ticket renewals in March 2008 to be right down at c. 3,500 to 4,000 and attendances c. 5,000. At that point I think the NO decision would really begin to bite hard.

But I think we'll get Falmer anyway, so it won't happen.

Last edited:

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
There is no way that RK will reject Falmer. The only reason that she appears to be indulging LDC is that she wants to forestall another legal challenge by making the second ruling watertight.
I know that we Albion fans have become arch pessimists on Falmer - after what has happened, we are bound always to fear the worst - but if we were betting people then I'm sure that we would put serious money on a positive outcome on or before July 9th.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
They've said yes once, they'll say it again. I'll eat my Seagulls hat if they don't. There's too much going for us for it to be turned down.

What worries me is are we too late, fan base wise?
Could Falmer be financially worse for the club than staying at Withdean if the crowd levels don't rise to the required amount? Have local kids been taken elsewhere by their parents due to lack of seating and getting rained on at Withdean?

Could the Albion get into the sort of debt they were in when the Goldstone was sold?

Plenty of PR required when it's built I think to get bums on seats.

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
i'm sure we will get falmer but are we sure RK will make the desicion?
i know its her job now but if tony blair leaves in two months (which is a rummor i heard) and brown reshufles the cabinet wont we have a new mp looking at the case and therefore wont it be delayed again or has the 9th july been set in stone?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Big Jim said:
They've said yes once, they'll say it again. I'll eat my Seagulls hat if they don't. There's too much going for us for it to be turned down.

What worries me is are we too late, fan base wise?
Could Falmer be financially worse for the club than staying at Withdean if the crowd levels don't rise to the required amount? Have local kids been taken elsewhere by their parents due to lack of seating and getting rained on at Withdean?

Could the Albion get into the sort of debt they were in when the Goldstone was sold?

Plenty of PR required when it's built I think to get bums on seats.

I think we'll be fine filling it.

Even if it struggles at first, with a quality stadium it'll be no problem to run events such as kids/school trips for £5, get them in young. And student discount will bring people in from the Universities. People will check it out, and see how great it is. Others will go just to make sure that Lord Bracknell didn't read 1,500 pages for nothing.

It make take a couple of years, but the fan base will be there - our catchment area will see to it.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Ray Bloom told us on the tube after Crewe that there is no plan B for Falmer, I asked him about the withdean thing and he totally denied it. Seems pretty obvious to me although I must admit it would make sense to me as well.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We have more chance of getting Falmer,then upgrading Withdean. Lets get real. Withdean however you look at it not and option. Falmer for all,Falmer for me, and Falmer it will be. :clap: :albion:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
sir albion said:
Its falmer or bust,you really think residents will allow a football ground there?:lolol:

There are no residents in our field. :rolleyes:

DTES said:
I think we'll be fine filling it.

Even if it struggles at first, with a quality stadium it'll be no problem to run events such as kids/school trips for £5, get them in young. And student discount will bring people in from the Universities. People will check it out, and see how great it is. Others will go just to make sure that Lord Bracknell didn't read 1,500 pages for nothing.

It make take a couple of years, but the fan base will be there - our catchment area will see to it.

Word to that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It won't fail so close the thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here