Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If (big if) we get promoted this year and ...

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
...one of the big prem teams, especially spurs, come in for Poyel, what u reckon he'll do?

Im hoping he'd want a crack at the PL with us to complete his amazing mission, especially As hes unlikely to ever get another chairman like tony bloom supporting him.

Or will the lure of a top PL side be too much?

I hope he stays for ever and a day, but will we ever be the size, and match the spending, of the top 6 PL teams...!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has repeatedly said he will not go after another job all the time we are improving so do not worry. If as suggested he has bought a house near Henfield it is a further indication of his commitment to us, although he could still travel to London clubs from there. Do not worry he is here for the long haul IMHO.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I don't want to get promoted. I want to win the league and stay in the Championship. I don't want to get beaten by Premier League teams who have spent stupid amounts of money on stupidly expensive players that they can't afford.

Yes I know this is completely irrational.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I have been thinking more and more about this recently. If we keep on the up at the rate we are going then obviously there will be a queue coming knocking. Would like to think Gus will take us into the Prem and you could not complain if he left for the one of the big guns after that. It's what happens after he bails that worries me. Everything seems to be too damn good to be true at the moment

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
I don't want to get promoted. I want to win the league and stay in the Championship. I don't want to get beaten by Premier League teams who have spent stupid amounts of money on stupidly expensive players that they can't afford.

Yes I know this is completely irrational.

just about sums it up

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Again, Gus has said from day 1, he will only leave if he is no longer wanted here! If we carry on going the way we are at the mo I think he will stay for the long haul!

Oct 25, 2003
the likes of spurs and chelsea are unlikely to go for a manager who's best achievement is promotion from the championship

for those clubs to come in for him, he'd either need to:

a) get us into the premiership, keep us there in mid-table, possibly with a cup win or europa league qualification...several years of solid growth to show that his long term abilities
b) go to someone else (the likes of everton, villa, newcastle etc.) and achieve there, before moving onto chelsea/spurs

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Lush that is interesting. I am sure there are some people on here that privately wish we were still shit so Brighton can still be ''their'' little club, that they can still in a perverse sort of way enjoy helping the club through its dark period and struggles against relegation and dodgy board members etc. Let's face it its far more effing romantic that way isn't it. I mean, how would you feel if we won the Premier League and Champions League? You never get respect as a genuine supporter of your local team once you start tasting big success. It kind of ruins it in a way. Or have I had too many beers and am being a total gayer?!

guster

Jul 13, 2011
West Stand Lower
The additional concern would be how many players would get snapped up - if noone, cms, dunk, bridcutt, harley, buckley all went that would a major worry.
Could anyone see us stay in the prem without those?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Who's Poyel?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Lush that is interesting. I am sure there are some people on here that privately wish we were still shit so Brighton can still be ''their'' little club, that they can still in a perverse sort of way enjoy helping the club through its dark period and struggles against relegation and dodgy board members etc. Let's face it its far more effing romantic that way isn't it. I mean, how would you feel if we won the Premier League and Champions League? You never get respect as a genuine supporter of your local team once you start tasting big success. It kind of ruins it in a way. Or have I had too many beers and am being a total gayer?!

Yes-I know what Lush means,but i want Top Flight football warts and all,above all i never want to see League 1 for a long time,yo yo if we must-as for the Champions league-Monaco have competed in it with a ground that holds 18,500-so we can compete,win it? get back to your beers you lucky bugger-i have a hour and 20 min drive/round trip ahead of me soon before i can enjoy such sunday afternoon luxury.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
The additional concern would be how many players would get snapped up - if noone, cms, dunk, bridcutt, harley, buckley all went that would a major worry.
Could anyone see us stay in the prem without those?

If we get promoted they will stay with us, if we stay in this division they may move on if premiership clubs want to sign them.But for the moment this sort of talk is pie in the sky, we will have more of an idea of our prospects for next season after christmas

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Can see the point about not wanting to be promoted. It is certainly too soon to go up to the Prem, let's face it on our last 2 visits to the Championship we lasted respectively 1 then 2 seasons and it was a real struggle. Admittedly we obviously now have a superb new ground, a chairman who is backing us financially, a decent team and a bloody good manager so are in a lot stronger position than our previous visits but I would really like to see us consolidate in this league for at least a few seasons before taking on the Prem. Would rather watch a team doing well in the Championship than a team struggling in the Prem and getting battered every week by the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc. Not lacking in ambition and certainly would like to see us play in the Prem sometime soon but just not yet.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There is no big history of clubs being promoted to the Premiership losing their managers though is there? Why should we be any different to Reading, Swansea, Norwich, QPR etc.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

My brother and I had almost the exact same discussion a couple of weeks ago. I know exactly what you mean.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Can see the point about not wanting to be promoted. It is certainly too soon to go up to the Prem, let's face it on our last 2 visits to the Championship we lasted respectively 1 then 2 seasons and it was a real struggle. Admittedly we obviously now have a superb new ground, a chairman who is backing us financially, a decent team and a bloody good manager so are in a lot stronger position than our previous visits but I would really like to see us consolidate in this league for at least a few seasons before taking on the Prem. Would rather watch a team doing well in the Championship than a team struggling in the Prem and getting battered every week by the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc. Not lacking in ambition and certainly would like to see us play in the Prem sometime soon but just not yet.

It`s not rocket science if we get promoted we are good enough for the premiership by accumulation of points, in that situation why the f*** would you want to stay in this division and lose our best players to premiership clubs. not to mention the many 10`s of millions of pounds that go with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here