Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If (big if) we get promoted this year and ...

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
It`s not rocket science if we get promoted we are good enough for the premiership by accumulation of points, in that situation why the f*** would you want to stay in this division and lose our best players to premiership clubs. not to mention the many 10`s of millions of pounds that go with it.

Understand your point Samej but there are arguments against it - 'being good enough for the premiership by accumulation of points', so how many of the teams promoted to the Premiership have stayed up there then? According to your logic they should be good enough? With regard to the 10's of millions of pounds that go with the Premiership fair enough but with Brighton's new ground and the massively increased attendances and the revenue that goes with that they are going to see a massive increase in income anyway. As for Premiership clubs buying our players - that will happen if we get into the Premiership anyway, if we have been promoted and have a really good side then they are going to poach our players and with the money that the Premiership clubs pay for players we will simply go out and buy someone else! I want the Premiership as well but not too soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Again, Gus has said from day 1, he will only leave if he is no longer wanted here!
That's not true. He hopes to be here for a long time, but he has ambition that Brighton won't be able to match. He has said he will one day manage abroad (Zaragoza I think), which he wouldn't be able to say for sure if he was going to be with us forever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we carry on being successful, I can't see him going. How many clubs could he influence and control the playing side from top to bottom with what I assume is 100% backing from the chairman? He is building something very special here and unless things go sour I can see him wanting to see just how far he can take us. Once we hit a plateau he might well be off.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That's not true. He hopes to be here for a long time, but he has ambition that Brighton won't be able to match. He has said he will one day manage abroad (Zaragoza I think), which he wouldn't be able to say for sure if he was going to be with us forever.

Wonder what would have happened if they had been relegated last season,as they came close,if they had seen Gus as the man to lead them back.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If we carry on being successful, I can't see him going. How many clubs could he influence and control the playing side from top to bottom with what I assume is 100% backing from the chairman? He is building something very special here and unless things go sour I can see him wanting to see just how far he can take us. Once we hit a plateau he might well be off.

Not many,he waited a long time,well a year so i believe he said to find the right club,he interviewed Mr bloom as much as Tony interviewed him.

What you say above(highlighted) is so true-if he goes elsewhere,he merely picks up the pieces or try's to keep things going-

He seems totally honest,although i could see him leaving in a moment of Latino madness,but i think he wants to prove to the world,well here in England at least,that his style,the proper way to play,can be achieved within the English game.

Brighton can only go so far,however,if we are able to take the Amex to 30,500 this will see us having the 23rd largest ground in English Football,put that stadium in the Premier league and it's an average size,but more than able to generate income to at least compete,to some degree.

I doubt if we were to reach Top Flight status that Gus would depart before a ball is kicked,although this does happen,i just get the feeling he will want to prove his style can stay there-after that it becomes a slightly grey area for me-Poyet readily admits that Brighton will never win the Champions league-but if clubs can get to play in it with ground capacity's of 20,000 then a future,fully expanded Amex will be more than adequate,will this be enough for Mr Poyet & let's not forget the role of Tanno in this Brighton dream either.

If a big club came in for Poyet i am sure Tony would not stand in his way,but i am confident the one area TB would invest heavily in is wages for Gus,Tony i am sure would be able to match any bid from any club to retain Gus's services,even if he could not compete(who knows what lies ahead) with the bigger teams when it comes to transfers.

In short we could make Gus the highest paid manager in Europe & he still would leave if the team could not be strengthened accordingly.

Gus will one day leave us,this is for sure-as everything that has a beginning,also has an end-HOWEVER.

When that day comes,this club will be light years ahead of the club that Mr Poyet came to in the first place & although you could compare the two,you would require this to see the difference.
images

The single most important relationship at Brighton is GUS & TONY.

All aboard people-Part of the old Brighton died 14 years ago

Her soul lies in rest finally, thanks to this
images

But through us,fate,luck,blood,sweat,tears,love,Tony & too many to mention

Her SPIRIT lives on-

Gus i am sure appreciates this fact and is happy to stay.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011

I`ll stop him leaving, with both of my arms wrapped around his ankles.

Great post, Gold With Falmer. Indeed if something has a beginning it will have an ending.
What I'd like to believe is that by the time Gus leaves, we'll be well setup by that stage, with the academy hopefully up and running. My dream is that he will leave a legacy, like Shankly did, that will permeate the club for a generation.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Feel free to give rep....what? :shrug: but i do agree @Brixton-yes the academy,i forgot that,good call...oh and rep'd accordingly.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Poyet has the run of the club, he is a genius, he has a chairman prepared to pay serious money to get the players we need.

If TB offered him a 5 year contract he would sign it.

The long term plan is for Premiership football which will probably arrive a lot sooner than we think ergo he will not walk.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Can see the point about not wanting to be promoted. It is certainly too soon to go up to the Prem, let's face it on our last 2 visits to the Championship we lasted respectively 1 then 2 seasons and it was a real struggle. Admittedly we obviously now have a superb new ground, a chairman who is backing us financially, a decent team and a bloody good manager so are in a lot stronger position than our previous visits but I would really like to see us consolidate in this league for at least a few seasons before taking on the Prem. Would rather watch a team doing well in the Championship than a team struggling in the Prem and getting battered every week by the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc. Not lacking in ambition and certainly would like to see us play in the Prem sometime soon but just not yet.

Way too soon to get promoted. Every single one of our starting eleven on Saturday were playing League One last year. I don't think more than two or three of them are Premiership quality.

Sometime I wonder if the players worry about this - if we got promoted most of them would need to leave the club if they wanted to keep getting regular first team football.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
He built a (good) Championship squad whilst in League One. Doing the same for the Premier League, whilst in the Championship is nigh on impossible. Not in terms of fees and attracting players who would be interested in joining but paying the wages. The only teams that can do that are the ones who have just come down from the Premier League, like West Ham just on the strength of the parachute payments (which are a necessity in my opinion but that's another matter). You could pay Brighton's whole back line (including keepers - all 3 if you like) a weeks wages for what Kevin Nolan gets per 7 days.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He built a (good) Championship squad whilst in League One. Doing the same for the Premier League, whilst in the Championship is nigh on impossible. Not in terms of fees and attracting players who would be interested in joining but paying the wages. The only teams that can do that are the ones who have just come down from the Premier League, like West Ham just on the strength of the parachute payments (which are a necessity in my opinion but that's another matter). You could pay Brighton's whole back line (including keepers - all 3 if you like) a weeks wages for what Kevin Nolan gets per 7 days.

Blah blah blah

Blackpool didn't disgrace themselves last season and I doubt Swansea and Norwich are paying ridiculous salaries.

We need to aim for the premiership! Let's ride this momentum and do it!!!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I don't think Gus will leave any time soon. This is about project promotion to the Premiership including the full structure of the club. He will leave only when this is completed and he can't take us any further, or for one of the above clubs if the opportunity arises sooner.

I can see him managing Real Madrid or Man City one day - he is that good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here