Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IDS = Tool

Albion Rob

How so?

If the idea was that the job-seeker could gain skills during their work that they could use to obtain future employment then it would be a good thing for them to do. If it's just doing a job for Tesco that's of no benefit for them, then I'd also prefer it was something for the community instead.[/

I think that's maybe a big part of the problem - the vast majority seems to be in retail or supermarkets - does work experience there really help people get job in that sector? Or would they've able to land a job in that area anyway if one existed.

Reading with kids and green keeping sprang to mind but surly there's some painting that needs doing, plus maybe a spot of handyman on various public buildings? Our unemployed brothers and sisters surely have a multitude of skills to bring for the benefit of us all, not least themselves. Good grief, I think I may have cracked the Big Society! 12 hours a week paid working for the good of the community.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Typical shambles, give businesses free employees so they don't have to take on paid employees. How does that solve anything but improving profits for Tesco etc

- - - Updated - - -

Typical shambles, give businesses free employees so they don't have to take on paid employees. How does that solve anything but improving profits for Tesco etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How so?

If the idea was that the job-seeker could gain skills during their work that they could use to obtain future employment then it would be a good thing for them to do. If it's just doing a job for Tesco that's of no benefit for them, then I'd also prefer it was something for the community instead.[/

I think that's maybe a big part of the problem - the vast majority seems to be in retail or supermarkets - does work experience there really help people get job in that sector? Or would they've able to land a job in that area anyway if one existed.

Reading with kids and green keeping sprang to mind but surly there's some painting that needs doing, plus maybe a spot of handyman on various public buildings? Our unemployed brothers and sisters surely have a multitude of skills to bring for the benefit of us all, not least themselves. Good grief, I think I may have cracked the Big Society! 12 hours a week paid working for the good of the community.

Been a while since I last heard this. It never did catch on did it?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
2 more years and they'll be history. There is no way these idiots will get re-elected, no way at all.

- - - Updated - - -

2 more years and they'll be history. There is no way these idiots will get re-elected, no way at all.

But just to be on the safe side you've gone to the land of the CurryWürst!

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
A few years ago I briefly worked for one of the companies that ran one of these schemes in Brighton. The problem is that they need companies to offer placements for work experience, the only people willing to offer them are supermarkets and retailers. The schemes only pay out if someone is in a work placement hence they end up stacking shelves in Sainsbury's or Poundland.

The likes of L&G, AMEX, NHS or Universities will not support these schemes despite being the largest employers in Brighton. Therefore there is very little choice of placement.

These schemes are trying to support the majority, uneducated school leavers, long-term unemployed or offenders. They do not have the skills to support graduates with Geology, History, Sociology degrees who are looking for jobs within their fields of 'expertise' which are few and far between.

The NHS certainly does offer work experience, and apprenticeships too.

Albion Rob

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here