Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IDS = Tool

Camicus

Its also worth noting that Ms Riely who couldnt get a job as a geologist is working at Tescos. IDS voted on a 33% increase on his ministerial salary whilst we paid for his second home in london (5 bed £3,000,000) and then has then cheek to call us scroungerts off the state

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
2 more years and they'll be history. There is no way these idiots will get re-elected, no way at all.

- - - Updated - - -

2 more years and they'll be history. There is no way these idiots will get re-elected, no way at all.

You are also on record on saying that the coaliation would last less than 18 months. How's that working out for you?

Camicus

And so are more than half of the YouGov sampled population: http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/22ok7iz5ea/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-15-170213.pdf

See the last page for the question on 'Do you think the government should or should not be able to require unemployed people to do unpaid work experience or risk losing benefit?'

But if you ask "If you become unemployed should YOU be forced to work for a profit making companey for free whilst your co workers get paid?"

I suspect the answer would be different. We pay in to the system through NI/tax so when we are unemployed we dont starve and that is the reality

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's impossible the be a conservative supporter and disabled or poor
How so?

I can't fathom why people are expected to workforfree (no cost to the'employer' anyway) at private sector firms. Surely if there's a job to be done then employ someone? If 'my taxes' aregoing to be spent sending someone on benefits to work then I'd rather it was something that benefitted the community
If the idea was that the job-seeker could gain skills during their work that they could use to obtain future employment then it would be a good thing for them to do. If it's just doing a job for Tesco that's of no benefit for them, then I'd also prefer it was something for the community instead.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They'll need more than 2 years to fix the place, before giving the keys to Labour for another bingefest.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I'm with IDS. For the vast majority of the population they care more about whether the shelves are stacked at their local supermarket than the consistiencey of rock formations.

They would, but they would soon be winging when they didn't have petrol to get to the supermarkets, gas or oil to cook it in the cooker made of metal. All of which geologists are involved in finding.

(I am a Geologist and have stacked shelves in the past (when doing my A Levels!))

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
whatever the rights and wrongs of these schemes, they just all sound terrible when it comes from a well to do (Rich) Tory who simply cannot convey any sense of 'being in touch' or knowing what hardship, fear, poverty etc is - Blair was total dodge as they come at times but at least he worked out how to vaguely sound sincere even if just a facade. What no-one is actually saying is for years now there has been a mindset of everyone is "entitled" to go to University to delay work at 18 and as a result some truly hopeless courses are done that have nil chance of a job at the end, and had no chance of a job at the start. I've interviewed some graduates in last few years who look 'ace'on paper but seriously have problems being able to even write a basic error free letter despite the fact they have trained for a career where letter writing is 90% of the duties! University for all keeps the jobless numbers artificially down a bit but the end result is people such as this lady who neither look that keen for a proper hard job / days work for a fair days pay, nor in fairness is she trained in a sufficiently broad way as to have a practical chance of a job save in 1 tiny sector! So we either as a society accept or don't accept her 'right' to do voluntary work which she enjoys doing and receives benefits at same time rather then make her do low paid/no paid work that is beneath her but might at least give her more 'drive' to try and change her circumstances. As I said no obvious solution but with the Country virtually bust something has been done one day - unfortunately nothing will get done as it is seen as a vote loser and no 'sit on the fence' MP's would not take that risk!

D

Deleted member 22389

At the end of the day blame the banks, and then blame the last government for the mess we have in this country today. Useless the bloody lot of them. I hate to say it, but I just can't see the country recovering. Where are the jobs going to come from? We have hardly any industry, we have more people coming in that going out. Recipe for disaster.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A couple of years ago there were many people in the US saying exactly the same about Obama.

What happens in the US is hardly relevant here is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are also on record on saying that the coaliation would last less than 18 months. How's that working out for you?

Given they subsequently protected themselves (or gerimandered) the length of term with the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011 not very well sadly. Had this not come into play I reckon the Lib Dems would have pulled out of the coalition pact some time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with IDS. For the vast majority of the population they care more about whether the shelves are stacked at their local supermarket than the consistiencey of rock formations.

And what about spelling?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
How so?

There is no understanding for the sick and poor for the Tory Party anymore, the way IDS is continuing with the Atos evaluations even though they have been found to be flawed is very unpleasant, the fact so many are winning appeals shows there is something very wrong with the initial assessments.
There is a need to reduce the welfare burden on taxpayers but the fact fraud and error is in double figures percentage wise of the total bill while they are reducing the numbers of inspectors to save short term costs and the savings on those who are being forced back to work while even their own Doctors think it's wrong decision saves 0.0o0% of the total bill says a lot.
I was a card carrying member of the Tory Party for many years until I got sick, Labour started the reforms but IDS has pushed them to a new level of heartlessness.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He is saying to the young and unemployed, "Aim low".

Good on him. We need more robot like machine workers.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I can't fathom why people are expected to workforfree (no cost to the'employer' anyway) at private sector firms. Surely if there's a job to be done then employ someone? If 'my taxes' aregoing to be spent sending someone on benefits to work then I'd rather it was something that benefitted the community like reading with kids in schools or cutting the grass in local parks. Surely thereareplenty of things that could be done in all our communities?
Precisely this. To be honest the part of this that winds me up the most is that Poundland were getting 'free' employees - IDS has failed once already so presumably feels he has to say something a bit controversial to keep himself interesting to the public. It won't work though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here