Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I'd like a drum at the Amex

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Please no clackers or drummers, only tinpot clubs have them, we had a good vibe b Man U and West Ham, so maybe entertaining football and goals is the catalyst. Ask the good Palace fans about their drummer, they hate it and embarrassed. If we had a drummer it would stop me going after 58 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Were the other 38,000 on the roof?

Yes...

FB_IMG_1606339117999.jpg.7106a530755fc3db179b3f8785e1a912.jpg

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
It’s easy to have a good atmosphere when a team is winning and scoring lots of goals. The crowd responds to the team.

Which of course is the right answer. Anything that is as faraway as possible from the Sheffield Wednesday/England ‘band’ the better - and that includes a sodding drum.

Having said that a suitably placed trumpet in the North Stand to lead in ‘Sussex By The Sea’ would be appropriate. :cheers:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which of course is the right answer. Anything that is as faraway as possible from the Sheffield Wednesday/England ‘band’ the better - and that includes a sodding drum.

Having said that a suitably placed trumpet in the North Stand to lead in ‘Sussex By The Sea’ would be appropriate. :cheers:

As long as it is played at the right speed.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
That was a fantastic atmosphere tonight, I wasn't expecting it at all, but it was loud and lively and I usually say i hate drums but it didn't half help build the atmosphere to a crescendo. Probably only a couple of brighton games have beaten that atmosphere in my memory.

Dont you think that the 8 goals was the cause of the cracking atmosphere?

Rather than get a drum, let's just score more goals and let the atmosphere take care of itself.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Drums often kill any kind of organic atmosphere. There's something quite awful about a match where the crowd has a drum but where there's no atmosphere. At Huddersfield for example, I watched a number of matches the last few years and almost all you could hear is incessant drumming and very little atmosphere, few people elect to join in. It is such a relief when the opposing team scores and it lets up for a while. As someone said, unless you are Leeds or someone like Liepzig, there is little a drum can do to er, drum up an atmosphere. That is dependent upon how the team is playing on the pitch.

Agreed, but what a drum can do is coordinate the crowd for certain songs. As we all know The Amex suffers from different groups each doing their own thing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don’t know from your username whether you have the opportunity to go regularly, but I would argue there is always an atmosphere but it ranges from extremely loud to underwhelming at best.

It doesn’t always come across on TV, but then I would argue last night didn’t sound too loud either, just a lot of squealing. That said, I’m not denying that it wasn’t a great atmosphere and must have been a different but fantastic experience.

In terms of the best crowds lifting their team, I agree, but interested to know who you think they are, because in my experience with the exception of Leeds, crowds often aren’t dissimilar to ours.

No drum, clackers or anything else for me. We don’t at away games and our fans are excellent

Personally don’t buy into this best crowd lifting their team, if this was so then Leeds would have won more than 4 home games last season.

I agree though when a team generates noise from the crowd, i.e., when pulling a late goal back, that the extra “atmosphere” generated sometimes galvanises the team into action - or maybe it’s just because they have pulled a goal back and fancy their chances and has **** all to do with the noise the crowd is making in reaction to the goal - who knows!

Clearly crowds can be intimidating to opponents, with throat slitting gestures, etc., but I’m not sure I would want The Amex turned into the English equivalent of Nef Stadyumu or similar!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Dont you think that the 8 goals was the cause of the cracking atmosphere?

Rather than get a drum, let's just score more goals and let the atmosphere take care of itself.

In fairness there was a cracking atmosphere before the goals (as there was v Man Utd). But, I have to be honest, it was a very different type of atmosphere, a more family, clacker and drum led atmosphere and again, just being honest, that would do my head in for Men's first team matches. I really wouldn't want a drum for men's matches - if we could somehow recreate the natural atmosphere that greeted the players against Man U every match that would be fine.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That was a fantastic atmosphere tonight, I wasn't expecting it at all, but it was loud and lively and I usually say i hate drums but it didn't half help build the atmosphere to a crescendo. Probably only a couple of brighton games have beaten that atmosphere in my memory.

What/who is stopping you taking one along?

(hopefully the answer to this question is the people who care about you)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here