Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The BBC are very good at editing significant highlights at short notice, stuff you might have missed first time around like defenders ballwatching for goals or players losing their markers.

Those backroom guys deserve a lot of credit for their skill, so imagine how they must feel when, say, their hand-crafted montage of Owen Hargreaves midfield gaffs is summed up by Wright saying "Yeah, he had a bit of a mare in the second half, know what I mean?"

Isn't there anyone out there equal to Hansen? Come back Jimmy Hill, all is forgiven.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
The thing with Ian Wright is that he is just your average kind of guy and wears his heart on his sleeve when it comes to England. You can see he gets sooo wound up and speaks out just as you or I would.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
so if we wanted his kind on analysis we could ask the person next to us. I would like a bit more insight than that.

or you can have the argumentative and pedantic Irishman, disagreeing with everyone else. Seems the BBC are trying to instill a pub atmosphere and succeeding.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
I would like a bit more insight than that.

Why though? Ten people watch 90 mins of football and you get ten different views, so who gives a fug about the view of some supposed 'expert'? Wright's passion counts for more than any number of bullshit expert views in my book. We've sat there and watched the game ourselves, why do we need to be told what to think about it?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I like Ian Wright - he's a great balance for boring voiced, but always correct Hanson. I like both of them - its a nice contrast... OK so Ians not the sharpest pencil in the box, but he has passion which is nice to see...

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Pavilionaire said:

Isn't there anyone out there equal to Hansen? Come back Jimmy Hill, all is forgiven.

But they've got Hansen for that kind of analysis. Why flood the place with boring analysts?

Cheeky Monkey said:
Why though? Ten people watch 90 mins of football and you get ten different views, so who gives a fug about the view of some supposed 'expert'? Wright's passion counts for more than any number of bullshit expert views in my book. We've sat there and watched the game ourselves, why do we need to be told what to think about it?

Oh come on, Wright has been there as the token black. We all slate the buffons on ITV: Ally McPiss and Townsend for their pub and emotional analsis. Wright is no worst or better than these two.

Personally, I would move him aside. There are enough elongent black, asian, arab players out there who could easily replace him.

I was interested in the panel yesterday as apart from the host-Linekar, none of the others were English. A world panel for a world cup.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
London Calling said:
Oh come on, Wright has been there as the token black.

I don't think so at all, ok so its wise to be politically correct but the BBC doesn't fall foul of that at all across its programming...I think he's there as he appeals to many as a divergence from the stat's, formations and coaching analysis that the others in the lineup provide..

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't want to say 'they've only got their jobs because of PC', it's such a dull cliche - but you look at Wright and Crooks, what they do, what they say, and you have to wonder what on earth is going on at the BBC on this issue. If the whole country can see they're not up to it, why can't the bosses. I'm sure there are any number of pundits, black or otherwise, who would do an infinitely better job.

But I think the main point here is what sort of panel do you want. We have become so celebrity obsessed in this country that it has to be a former or current player or manager or the TV aren't interested.

What is the end goal? If you want to have some decent analysis get the better journalists involved. They know what they're talking about, aren't afraid to ruffle a few feathers, won't protect their 'mates' in the business. I'm not saying a whole panel of hacks, just more than at present, the balance is all wrong. Players give one very valuable insight, but not the whole story.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Pavilionaire said:
Isn't there anyone out there equal to Hansen? Come back Jimmy Hill, all is forgiven. [/B]

Talking of Jimmy Hill, Mr Tubby Mondays Senior had dealings with the chin a few weeks ago and reports that the great man is in a dreadful state. Think Mike Baldwin and then some. Worringly, after not being able to find his car, and not knowing what make it was, he got in it and drove it off, pausing only to wait for the bloke he had to follow back to Hustpeirpoint because he couldnt remember the way.

Dandyman

In London village.
Croydonbloke said:
The thing with Ian Wright is that he is just your average kind of guy and wears his heart on his sleeve when it comes to England. You can see he gets sooo wound up and speaks out just as you or I would.

Cool. Can I have his money, then ?

The guy is a clown.

tedebear said:
I don't think so at all, ok so its wise to be politically correct but the BBC doesn't fall foul of that at all across its programming...I think he's there as he appeals to many as a divergence from the stat's, formations and coaching analysis that the others in the lineup provide..

Its not being politically correct, half of England's players are black, the panel needs to reflect that. I believe the BBc scores a hit with its world view of football but Wright is not the man.

If I want to watch incohent waffle I would watch ITV with Veneables, McPiss, Gabby.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
dunno if it's the token black guy as if this was the case surely they would also have a disabled and a women ?

I think they have wright as he is passionate and has seen it and done it in football

personally I enjoy it when he's on there.

To me. The World Cup is the biggest cultural event in the world after the Olympics.

When the BBC do the Olympics, is there a need for an impassioned fool (apart from Brendan Foster) to do the "passion".

The panels are experts and most can add to the debate.

When we have other cultural events such as the Proms, do we have the village idiot on display?

So why the need to down grade football? Positively. I reckon one of the top hacks could do an excellent job and not just get the job because he is a mate of the producer?

LC

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand Wright's "passion" being a reason for him having a contract with the BBC. Surely there's enough passion at the ground, in the pubs and clubs and at home without Wright?

Put someone in his place who's full-time job is writing and speaking about football - Brian Woolnough, Sean Custis, Paddy Barclay - you'd then get some proper insight.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
London Calling said:
half of England's players are black

Eh? Robinson, Neville, Terry, Beckham, Joe Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Crouch, Owen, Rooney, Downing, Hargreaves

Ferdinand and Walcott are mixed race

Ashley Cole is about the only person who could be said to be remotely black, and even he looks mixed race.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here