Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Good debate.. didn't expect it though. I still think he's a gormless idiot that is only on MOTD so (most of you, as it seems) can laugh at his idiotic ramblings.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It empties the minutes in half-time with nothing of agreeable note. Just some arseholes trying to outsmart one another.
They neck their pies during the play of each half while we have to wait to get fatter in the playless gap.
I now really do dislike Wright. Speak from the relative rhythm of that rattlesome brain rather than the pierced nostrils and lobes that safely store your disgruntled meaning.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you are going to employ a pundit it helps if the candidate is able to articulate his thoughts.

Wright is plainly unable to do this as his repetition of the phrase "d'ya know what I mean" at the end of each statement confirms.

It is dumbing-down at its worst. The BBC should know better.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He's far more use than Ruud Gullit, who stated that Poland hadn't created any chances in a game where they'd had a perfectly good goal disallowed and hit the post and bar. How you do that whilst not creating chances is beyond me.

Personally, I like Ian Wright, though he does act like a kid from time to time. As others have said, at least he doesn't hold back from saying what he thinks, even if it is controversial.

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Pavilionaire said:

It is dumbing-down at its worst. The BBC should know better.

They are just continuing where they left off with Sally Gunnell

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
does anyone with half a brain really take much notice of TV pundits ? Ian Wright is there to entertain the masses and be a bit different from Alan Hansen who gets it right 99% of the time

I'd much rather he be on than Mark chocolate starfish breath Lawrenson and his bullshit comment and remarks :angry:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Wanderer said:
They are just continuing where they left off with Sally Gunnell

Sally Gunnell was great. She could only say positive things

SG 'So Michael you've just gone out of the 100m in the 1st round. Fantastic'

'Yeah, bad run I'm gutted'

'Brilliant'

I'll run better next year for my mother who died yesterday

'Excellent'

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
On the original question, Wrighty is close to Gazza as one of the worst pundits of all time. I'd get more insight into the game talking to next door neighbours cat.

Having said that, I will never ever listen to another commentary by Motson after Saturday. He was dreadful, truly awful and needs to be retired. Quick. How he has a job is beyond me.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Sally Gunnell trained during my school lunch when i'd nip down Preston Park to look cool and puff smoke from paper. Her fella was there informing her of what was right and wrong. I'd sit and wish neither were in the vicinity. Just wanted a nice fag innit.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
DAMANCLAY said:
And how has Hargreaves got 31?
By performing consistently well at club level and earning call ups?
Besides, it makes no difference why or how they are obtained. Anyone with that number of international caps can offer the point of view of an experienced England international.
Hardly "provides no insight whatsoever as his international career is non-exsistant" now is it?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Rangdo said:
"provides no insight whatsoever as his international career is non-exsistant"

Sorry.. didn't realise that this comment would wind you up so much..

33 caps
9 goals

Not really the sort of prolific record you would expect from a striker at internatinal level. Maybe I shoud have said.. "despite having 33 caps at international level, he provides no insight whatsoever".

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Muzzman said:

33 caps
9 goals

Not really the sort of prolific record you would expect from a striker at internatinal level. Maybe I shoud have said.. "despite having 33 caps at international level, he provides no insight whatsoever".

Ok. So let me get this straight. You start a thread slagging off Ian Wright and in the course of contributing to the discussion I quote one of the things you posted so therefore I am wound up. How exactly does that work then? :rolleyes:

The guy had a very successful football career. He was prolific at club level and made a number of appearances at international level. Whether or not you rate him as a good international striker 33 games must equate to 3 or 4 years playing in the England set up.

Personally I think that to say that someone with this kind of experience at the highest levels of football offers no insight strikes me as a bit ridiculous.

Yes the guy acts like a hyperactive, idiotic child half the time but in my opinion when he does talk about whats going on on the pitch he knows what he's talking about and at least he shows a bit of enthusiasm and life.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I remember Wright making his feelings about Sven known on 'They think its all over' before the Swede started the role. He didn't like him then but that was because he wanted an English manager.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Muzzman said:

33 caps
9 goals

Bare in mind Phil Neville has over 50 caps

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Isn't it time they dropped sport pundits all together? It seems to me that sports people retire and immediately get a nice little job with the BBC. Not a real journo in sight. look at Shearer and now that rowing fella Matt Pinsent (doing tennis!). They could do a lot better by starting the broadcast 5 minutes before ko and finish as soon as the game ends. I usually listen to radio 5 whilst watching the telly - quality!

IMHO all those puffed up telly fella's should be sacked from the gravy train.

:O

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Muzzman said:

33 caps
9 goals

Lets not forget that most of his caps were won under the legacy that was Graham Taylor, yes he who gave us such international class such as Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas. I think Wright's record under the circumstances is very good to be honest

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Hannibal smith said:
Having said that, I will never ever listen to another commentary by Motson after Saturday. He was dreadful, truly awful and needs to be retired. Quick. How he has a job is beyond me.

You can see why Barry Davies jacked in as the BBC thought Motson was better.

Best BBC commentator at the moment is Steve Wilson. Good understated commentary, doesn't talk for the sake of it, doesn't reel off hundreds of needless boring stats and doesn't attempt lame puns. The sooner the BBC take him off the crap matches and give him the bigger games the better for all of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here