Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright or Paul Gascoigne - who was the WORST pundit?

Who was worse?

• Ian "I don't know anything about the opposition" Wright

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Paul "thinks he's Ethal Merman" "Gazza" Gascoigne

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Some other vegetable

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
he was sick of playing the buffoon to the Hansen/Shearer/Lineker 'straight man'.
But wasn't he just doing all he was capable of? I could be wrong but I'd have my doubts as to whether anyone from the BBC ever said to him "right, could you act a bit of an unfunny ignorant twat who jumps up and down to keep the thickoes watching in admiration and please, just leave the serious stuff to the others if you don't mind". I suspect if he was acting like a moron, it's because, well...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you're being rather harsh on Wright, M of H. He's a lot more articulate and clued-up than he comes across. Course he has the saaf landan accent that he makes no attempt to disguise, so he doesn't SOUND overly intelligent, but fick he most certainly ain't.

(god, its catching)

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I think you're being rather harsh on Wright, M of H. He's a lot more articulate and clued-up than he comes across. Course he has the saaf landan accent that he makes no attempt to disguise, so he doesn't SOUND overly intelligent, but fick he most certainly ain't.

(god, its catching)

Sorry, but the guy is thick as pig shit. His vocabulary consists of about 11 words, and the show with Adrian Durham is awful. I remember listening to it once and hearing one of the most tedious and pointless debates of all time. They were discussing whether you can "teach instinct" (yes, really) and Ian Wright said "Look, you can't teach instinct because instinct is... err... instinctive". You're right, Brains of Britain.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

(god, its catching)
I'm really not being a snob at all by judging him on his accent, but more on the fact that he could never be arsed to find out anything about any of the other teams who were playing, say - pretty basic stuff really. Didn't he even admit it once, saying something along the lines of "I'm not interested in who we're playing again cos I'm an England fan"? Which seems pretty damn stupid to me. Anyway - even more importantly:

I love Airplane and have watched it 2 or 3 times, but not since I was a teenager so I'm not overly familiar with character names. Which character was that?
Sorry - in the bit in the mental hospital, there's an inmate who we're told "thinks he's Ethal Merman". Who's played by Ethal Merman. Who then starts singing "Everything's Coming Up Roses" before being restrained.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Is the correct answer. MoH should be ASHAMED for even considering lumping the two together.
I'd be more ashamed to have the opinion that Ian Wright is really a "class pundit", you FLIDDO

*awaits threat to have head STOVED IN*

Dandyman

In London village.
Gazza is awful in all forms of media. The only good piece of media he created was his book!

I actually really like Wrighty, he breaks the mould of sports pundits, and I think he's actually quite funny.

Let's not forget they were both AMAZING football players as well.

Gazza was a genius as a player. Wright was a decent goalscorer and nothing more.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Apart from the fact that Wrighty is probably my all time favourite Palace player, i think he is a breath of fresh air in a stale BBC coverage. Yes he fucks up now and again and speaks as if he was in his own front room with his mates watching England, but Alan 'when you talk about pace and strength' Hansen and Alan 'he really does' Shearer need a charisma by-pass and bore the shite out of me. At least Wrighty says it how it is.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
What the hell does that sentence mean, Brett?

Dandyman the Spurs fan said Gazza was a genius player but Wright was just a goal scorer but nothing more.

I cant help feel his judgement is clouded because he played for the enemy. I was saying If Ian Wright played for Tottenham and got the same career stats as he did at Arsenal, he would have been seen as both genius and a goal scorer

Happy now Sam?

Dandyman

In London village.
Says The Spurs Fan....

;)

Well also the fact that Wright was IMO massively over-hyped and a cheating whinging little git (as well as a Palarse b*stard).

His actual professional goal scoring record was 243 league goals in 501 appearances (128 league goals for the Arse). Jimmy Greaves scored 357 in 516 games and he was pissed in half of those.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
;)

Well also the fact that Wright was IMO massively over-hyped and a cheating whinging little git (as well as a Palarse b*stard).

His actual professional goal scoring record was 243 league goals in 501 appearances (128 league goals for the Arse). Jimmy Greaves scored 357 in 516 games and he was pissed in half of those.

In A Different Era, With Dare I Say It, Worse Defences and 2-3-5 Formations.

And You Can't Make A Statement That Starts "...And The Fact..." And Then Go On To State That It's Your Opinion.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
;)

You read Greaves autobiography ? Not bad actually.

Dandyman

In London village.
In A Different Era, With Dare I Say It, Worse Defences and 2-3-5 Formations.

And You Can't Make A Statement That Starts "...And The Fact..." And Then Go On To State That It's Your Opinion.

This is NSC, OF COURSE I can.

Dandyman

In London village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here