Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright or Paul Gascoigne - who was the WORST pundit?

Who was worse?

• Ian "I don't know anything about the opposition" Wright

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Paul "thinks he's Ethal Merman" "Gazza" Gascoigne

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Some other vegetable

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
At least Gazza had the excuse he was off his face, Ian Wright is awful.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
*starts jazz hands (not in a rude way)*
'Everything's coming up roses'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry, but the guy is thick as pig shit. His vocabulary consists of about 11 words, and the show with Adrian Durham is awful. I remember listening to it once and hearing one of the most tedious and pointless debates of all time. They were discussing whether you can "teach instinct" (yes, really) and Ian Wright said "Look, you can't teach instinct because instinct is... err... instinctive". You're right, Brains of Britain.

erm, but he is right isn't he? instinct is inate, not taught, by definition. just because he doesnt have a 200 word essay to explain this obvious truth, that makes him thick?

for my money Wright spoke the view of the average person up and down the country. nothing wrong with that. he did improve too over the years and when he calmed did speak sence most of the time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
erm, but he is right isn't he? instinct is inate, not taught, by definition. just because he doesnt have a 200 word essay to explain this obvious truth, that makes him thick?

for my money Wright spoke the view of the average person up and down the country. nothing wrong with that. he did improve too over the years and when he calmed did speak sence most of the time.

1, You really have a low opinion of the average person
2, Why put that on TV? Talk the idiots at the pub if you want to hear that, shouldn't we be interested and provoked by sports commentators and presenters?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I want commentators and pundits to inform me of things I may not have noticed or didn't know.

Not jump up and down on their chair because their son has scored.

2, Why put that on TV? Talk the idiots at the pub if you want to hear that, shouldn't we be interested and provoked by sports commentators and presenters?

Yeah, but as far as these posts are saying, he's cutting to the point and stopping some sports commentator from thought-provoking, wasting airtime rabbiting in a long diatribe to a pointless end.

For example;

[yt]TRKYsao2ciY[/yt]

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What Keaton and Les said. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me for my "normal fan" reactions during a Brighton game, fascinating though they are: me talking to my old man about stuff, shouting abuse at the referee, wondering aloud whether to go for a piss at half-time, cheering when we score - it's equally REAL FAN reactions. And we've all been paying Ian Wright to produce literally nothing much more than that. Maybe I should set up a pay-per-view webcam during games.

Last edited:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

1) Agree
2) Precisely

Only in the world of sports punditry are such poor standards of analysis accepted. When I watch sport I want to learn something about the game from the person describing it that I hadn't noticed or didn't already know, I want insight, not to have someone shouting jingoistic nonsense at me. Imagine if history documentaries were narrated in this "man on the street" style.

"Well, the spanish armada.... oh I don't fackin no, I only care about English history."

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Well, the spanish armada.... oh I don't fackin no, I only care about English history."
I am reminded of the uber-plastic that is Andy Townsend in 1994 at the WC in the USA. If you want an example of shit lowest-common-denominator punditry, then check this out:

HTML:
Presenter: Why can't the Spaniards play together Ruud? 
Is it because of rivalries?

Gullit: For sure. The Basques, for instance, feel no real loyality to Spain.

Townsend: Well that's pathetic. The coach should sort it out.

Gullit: Well, it's more complicated than that, Andy.

Townsend: No, it's pathetic. I want to see what happens
when they go 1-0 down, see what character they have then.

So there you have it. And this was supposedly from an "Irishman", a country that is no stranger to relatively recent oppression and internal strife. Chance of an interesting piece of social analysis ruined by surely the biggest fuckwit in football presentation.

But wasn't he just doing all he was capable of? I could be wrong but I'd have my doubts as to whether anyone from the BBC ever said to him "right, could you act a bit of an unfunny ignorant twat who jumps up and down to keep the thickoes watching in admiration and please, just leave the serious stuff to the others if you don't mind". I suspect if he was acting like a moron, it's because, well...

ex palace scum. 'nuff said

and not good enough to be taken on by us

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"can't fault his passion" or "a lot of enthusiasm for the game"

...but this is all that matters when England are concerned. No need to bother with any of that technique, artistry or talent nonsense. That's just for those namby-pamby foreign fools.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here