Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright " it's ok to cheat..." a disgrace

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
edna krabappel said:
Can't stand Ian Wright as a pundit.

He completely embarrassed himself with his comments that Sven only took Aaron Lennon instead of Shaun Wright-Phillips to spite Ian Wright.

No, you irritating, clueless waste of airtime: he took him because Lennon has had a brilliant season at Spurs and caused defences no end of problems.

Your son, on the other hand, took the money option by running to Chelsea at the first opportunity and has spent most of the past 9 months warming his butt on the bench, contributing precisely bugger all to the cause.

Anybody see Jermain Defoe's dad booing on TV, or Andy Johnson's old man whining to Sky Sports about their boys' non-inclusion? Funnily enough, no...

Thats a bit harsh, Ian Wright is clueless and hasn't the best vocab around, he's an ex player who doesn't really have the gift of literacy, so he's bound to stuff up!! However what he does have in passion for the game and his country.... kind of nice to see to be honest... his co presenters should indeed have corrected him but to call him a waste of airtime and criticise his son (who most certainly does his own thing) is a bit OTT...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
tedebear said:
Thats a bit harsh, Ian Wright is clueless and hasn't the best vocab around, he's an ex player who doesn't really have the gift of literacy, so he's bound to stuff up!!
That's all true, which begs the question: why on earth is he getting paid - out of your and my licence fee - to talk for a living?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Unfortunatley it doesnt surprise me that he has said this. He is a twat of the higest order, And allways has been. Ian "I love arsenal" Wright.

Dandyman

In London village.
Billy the Fish said:
Blimey two different subjects in the same thread get a textbook NSC self righteous reaction from the brotherhood of saints. Ian Wright has broken the number one rule: you're not allowed to have an opinion which goes against the mainstream. You've got to tow the line around here, that means everything is done by the book otherwise Dudley f***ing Do-Right will slaughter you. And showing passion about his country on TV in front of millions, blast and balderdash, what a cad he is.

So Steve Gerrard went down easily. Who cares, the bloke went in two footed, if he had made contact we might have another player with his leg in a cast. With a challenge like that he's entitled to win the penalty as far as I'm concerned.

I'm all for showing passion, but I would actually also like some insight and intelligent comment, as well. Hansen (at least occassionally) tells me things I've missed or might not have picked up on. Wright is a clueless knob who is neither entertaining or intelligent and gets on telly only because of the players old boy rule.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Man of Harveys said:
That's all true, which begs the question: why on earth is he getting paid - out of your and my licence fee - to talk for a living?

Yeah good point - no answer for that I'm afraid!!

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
So you'd all be saying it's cheating if we won the world cup with a "dodgy" penalty then obviously. :rolleyes:
And no doubt you didn't cheer when Owen dived against the Argies in the last world cup.

Get over it.Ian Wright was right in what he said.It happens against us often enough so why not have a dodgy decision go our way for a change.

Last edited:

He's a failed light entertainment act, not to be taken too seriously I guess.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
London Irish said:
He's a failed light entertainment act, not to be taken too seriously I guess.

He was also one of the best strikers of his generation so i guess that makes him just a little more qualified to talk on football than all the people on here who are slagging him off. No he isnt university educated, he is from Lewisham from a poor background but he doesn't talk the proper Queen's English so he is open to ridicule:rolleyes:

the small matter he used to play for Palace might have something to do with it as well, but i'm just guessing here!

:shootself

AJ's Love Monkey said:
He was also one of the best strikers of his generation so i guess that makes him just a little more qualified to talk on football than all the people on here who are slagging him off. No he isnt university educated, he is from Lewisham from a poor background but he doesn't talk the proper Queen's English so he is open to ridicule:rolleyes:

the small matter he used to play for Palace might have something to do with it as well, but i'm just guessing here!

That's a cop out, most footballers have little education but they learn plenty during their time in football and can speak about the game knowledgably. In all honesty, Ian Wright can't or won't because he still thinks he's doing his useless Saturday evening TV light entertainment act of saying witless things in a loud voice "to be funny".

He ain't - and this is nothing to do with Palace, after all Gazza went down this road before and thankfully he was dropped as a pundit. Wrighty is living a charmed life currently.

Last edited:

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I think if he hadn't have dived out of the way of that challenge,he would have got his leg broken.Though what DID annoy me was when they kept making it sound like Lampard wasn't at fault for his AWFUL penalty.Much as I like to blame it on the Palarse keeper,I can't quite understand how the 'delayed tactics' as described by our commentators could in anyway affect Lampards shot.He should have been concentrating on his penalty and not on the goalkeeper's stupidity,even if it was a valid excuse.

seagulls4eva

Feb 7, 2006
Cumbria
It wasn't really an awful penalty low and hard, the keeper just made a cracking save.

Agree about Wright's comments being disgraceful, it is that sort of attitude, that well everyone else does it so it's ok for us to do it, that is the reason why diving is so widespread.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
seagulls4eva said:
It wasn't really an awful penalty low and hard, the keeper just made a cracking save.

Agree about Wright's comments being disgraceful, it is that sort of attitude, that well everyone else does it so it's ok for us to do it, that is the reason why diving is so widespread.

It was low,it was hard,but not near enough to the corner and pyjama boy easily managed to get an arm on it.I'm beginning to wonder who should take the penaltys for England. I heard that Rooney could do a job.

Dandyman

In London village.
AJ's Love Monkey said:

As far as strikers go let's put his record in context. Looking just at the Premiership and excluding the likes of Greaves, Finney, etc the record at the end of of the 2005/06 season on 7 May 2006 was as follows:

Rank Player Goals

1 Alan Shearer 260
2 Andy Cole 185
3 Thierry Henry 164
4 Robbie Fowler 159
5 Les Ferdinand 149
6 Teddy Sheringham 145
7 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 126
8 Michael Owen 125
9 Dwight Yorke 122
10 Ian Wright 113

As far as playing the working class hero card goes the likes of Bobby Elms and Danny Baker come from no more privileged backgrounds and both could talk for England.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
The reason we turned him down was due to his attitude and the fact that we had the chance to pick up Steve Penny, an international player. Money was too tight to pick up both of them. so we chose the international player went on to play in the 86 World Cup finals. With hindsight it's easy to say we got it wrong, but at the time we made the right choice.

Penney was not an international player when we signed him in 1983. Penney made his debut in October 1984 v Israel

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
XooX, the point here is that Wright was openly advocating / endorsing diving as a means of gaining your team an advantage.

The difference between him and me is he broadcasts his views to kids who are influenced by what they see and hear, whereas my views are confined to the unfortunate person / people I happen to be talking to at the time.

He has a duty to be more responsible but the fuckwit cannot control his emotions or rein in his gutter vernacular.

Fair enough but Wrighty (who is reknowned for being a bit hotheaded and lairy) made those comments at half-time whilst the game was still in the balance and he was getting all passionate as he usually does. I think a few rash comments can be excused. I'm sure he doesn't really advocate England cheating in order to win the World Cup. These comments made in the heat of the moment can hardly be held up to scrutiny in the cold light of day.

I really don't think it is that big a deal I guess and take it with a pinch of salt.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
XooX, you're clearly more tolerant than me.

Not only do I hate Wright's poor attempt at punditry but I also think he takes the whole debate at half-time down market, so you never get any insight, only a lot of hot air and wild gestures that purports to be "passion".

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
Dandyman said:

Rank Player Goals

1 Alan Shearer 260
2 Andy Cole 185
3 Thierry Henry 164
4 Robbie Fowler 159
5 Les Ferdinand 149
6 Teddy Sheringham 145
7 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 126
8 Michael Owen 125
9 Dwight Yorke 122
10 Ian Wright 113

These are just Prem stats (ie 92/93 onwards). Wright started playing in the top flight in 1989.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here