Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright " it's ok to cheat..." a disgrace

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
3gulls said:
What do you expect from that Palarse scum? He probably thinks that everyone does it, 'cos that is how he learned to play at Scumhurst. :censored:
Learned to play at Palace? you twit.

He learned to play at Greenwich Borough and Brighton turned him down. You see, Brighton wouldn`t now a good player if he fell through the door.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the Beeb want a black pundit they could do a lot worse than Michael Holding. I know he's in a different sport but my guess is he knows more about football than that twat Wright.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Croydonbloke said:

He learned to play at Greenwich Borough and Brighton turned him down. You see, Brighton wouldn`t now a good player if he fell through the door.

The reason we turned him down was due to his attitude and the fact that we had the chance to pick up Steve Penny, an international player. Money was too tight to pick up both of them. so we chose the international player went on to play in the 86 World Cup finals. With hindsight it's easy to say we got it wrong, but at the time we made the right choice.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The one thing that's pissing me off about all this is the fact that uppity foreigners are taking this as an opportunity to accuse the English of whole heartedly condoning Gerrard's dive and thereby saying the English are hypocrites. If they stopped trying to English bash for just tw seconds they would see that a huge number of people think that the dive was totally un-English and want it removed from the game. We're not all saying "yeah, it's OK when we do it, but when those foreigners do it it's wrong".

Jesus. Thank Christ I don't have such a chip on my shoulder that I feel the twist and distort facts in an attempt to rip into another country. Truely pathetic, it really is.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Croydonbloke said:

Good job too. We would not want him at the Goldstone! He would have been given the blow-ups! :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't stand Ian Wright as a pundit.

He completely embarrassed himself with his comments that Sven only took Aaron Lennon instead of Shaun Wright-Phillips to spite Ian Wright.

No, you irritating, clueless waste of airtime: he took him because Lennon has had a brilliant season at Spurs and caused defences no end of problems.

Your son, on the other hand, took the money option by running to Chelsea at the first opportunity and has spent most of the past 9 months warming his butt on the bench, contributing precisely bugger all to the cause.

Anybody see Jermain Defoe's dad booing on TV, or Andy Johnson's old man whining to Sky Sports about their boys' non-inclusion? Funnily enough, no...

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I think Ian Wright should do the correct thing and come clean about at least 2 of the penalties a certain Mr Kelvin Morton awarded that fateful day in 1989.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If I was Alan Hansen I'd be instructing my agent to do a deal with Sky.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Ian Wright is widely - and correctly - regarded as a chump.Still,the other "pundits" should have taken him to task for this piece of arrant nonsense.

Glad the Albion wouldn't touch him.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Definitions of Gamesmanship on the Web:

Gamesmanship is the use of dubious (although not technically illegal) methods to win a game, often a sport, such as golf or football.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamesmanship

Live with it!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The problem with most of the TV channels these days is that they are obsessed with the idea that virtually all of their football presenters have to be ex-pros.

Therefore you get wooden, stilted delivery, and surprisingly little insight (see Le Saux, Graeme).

Look at all the crap examples there are- Peter Schmeichel, Garth Crooks, Ian Wright- purely there because they were supposedly great players.

Whereas most of the best ones were either distinctly average former pros, or proper TV presenters, like Gavin Peacock, Robbie Earle and Adrian Chiles.

Dandyman

In London village.
edna krabappel said:
Can't stand Ian Wright as a pundit.

He completely embarrassed himself with his comments that Sven only took Aaron Lennon instead of Shaun Wright-Phillips to spite Ian Wright.

No, you irritating, clueless waste of airtime: he took him because Lennon has had a brilliant season at Spurs and caused defences no end of problems.

Your son, on the other hand, took the money option by running to Chelsea at the first opportunity and has spent most of the past 9 months warming his butt on the bench, contributing precisely bugger all to the cause.

Anybody see Jermain Defoe's dad booing on TV, or Andy Johnson's old man whining to Sky Sports about their boys' non-inclusion? Funnily enough, no...

:clap:

Wright is a total cock IMO and his comments merely prove the point. As for the "great player" tag he did f*ck all for England and was getting obviously dated by the time he finished at Highbury.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Here's a scenario for you:

World Cup Final 2006, England v Argentina. 0-0 with just 2 minutes to go and Gerrard dives a bit dubiously in the area after a 50/50 challenge. Wins a peno which Lampard rockets into the roof of the net. England win the World cup final 1-0!

How many of the moral highground moaners would be on here griping about the penalty then?? I suspect none of them.

England like most teams have been on the wrong end of some very poor decisions over the years. So what, big deal it happens. The South Americans are the biggest cheating continent in World Cup history. So we get our own back occasionally, i can live with that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Blimey two different subjects in the same thread get a textbook NSC self righteous reaction from the brotherhood of saints. Ian Wright has broken the number one rule: you're not allowed to have an opinion which goes against the mainstream. You've got to tow the line around here, that means everything is done by the book otherwise Dudley f***ing Do-Right will slaughter you. And showing passion about his country on TV in front of millions, blast and balderdash, what a cad he is.

So Steve Gerrard went down easily. Who cares, the bloke went in two footed, if he had made contact we might have another player with his leg in a cast. With a challenge like that he's entitled to win the penalty as far as I'm concerned.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
XooX, the point here is that Wright was openly advocating / endorsing diving as a means of gaining your team an advantage.

The difference between him and me is he broadcasts his views to kids who are influenced by what they see and hear, whereas my views are confined to the unfortunate person / people I happen to be talking to at the time.

He has a duty to be more responsible but the fuckwit cannot control his emotions or rein in his gutter vernacular.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
So cheating is OK as long as it's an important game? Simply because others do it too? So two wrongs make a "Wright"? Do they f***.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wright was wrong to say if they cheat, we will cheat.

Difficult rule to interpret on the penalty.

If he had stayed there he would have won a stonewall penalty and perhaps not made it to Germany. He moved and the illegal tackle missed but impeded his run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here