Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Holloway

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Palace had a fantastic season and based on their performance over the course of the season probably deserved promotion but IMO Holloway was poor for them. I think it would have been a travesty if they hadn't made the play offs given their position when Freedman left which looked a real possibility towards the end of season.

I'm not sure many Palace fans will agree but if he starts badly in the first 10 games he should be sacked.

Freedman left in October

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Freedman left in October

Regardless of when he left, he'd built a good team and had you in a fantastic position. I'll take nothing away from your promotion, in the end Holloway did the job he was brought into do but I think he was carried by a hard working, cohesive team. You weren't promoted due to his managerial skills IMO.

A lot of deluded, bitter posters on here. Yes Palace will probably get stuffed most weeks and be relegated, however they will have £120mil in the bank plus parachute payments. Is Holloway any good? Does it matter he did his job, they out played us for 3 halves of the playoffs and deserved to win. Some people need to swallow the pill and move on! I would have taken going up for a season and financially securing the club with relegation, which we could and maybe should have done last year but Poyet, for all his good work, came a very distant second to Holloway in the playoffs.

Nailed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Regardless of when he left, he'd built a good team and had you in a fantastic position. I'll take nothing away from your promotion, in the end Holloway did the job he was brought into do but I think he was carried by a hard working, cohesive team. You weren't promoted due to his managerial skills IMO.

As stated elsewhere, he certainly made Poyet and Zola look very average

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I seem to recall you were largely quite miffed we got him at the time.

Think he did an incredible job myself. We spent a fraction of the teams around us. The starting line up at Wembley cost less than CMS. Always tough coming in as a new manager, and we were punching well above our weight when on that run with Freedman. The blunt truth is under Freedman the previous year we actually had more points at that stage of the season. Yet we finished 17th.

Holloway took us kicking and screaming into the playoffs. Other high flying teams like Middlesborough dropped away, and he kept us going. Then he totally outwitted Gus and Zola to take us to the Premiership.

3 play off finals in four years. Facts speak for themselves.

None of us were "miffed" that you got him so your recollection is bollocks.

Your starting line up at wembley included the player you've sold for an initial £10m so what exactly is your point? We had to improve our league 1 squad to compete in the championship against teams with championship quality players, which incidentally you already had.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
A lot of deluded, bitter posters on here. Yes Palace will probably get stuffed most weeks and be relegated, however they will have £120mil in the bank plus parachute payments. Is Holloway any good? Does it matter he did his job, they out played us for 3 halves of the playoffs and deserved to win. Some people need to swallow the pill and move on! I would have taken going up for a season and financially securing the club with relegation, which we could and maybe should have done last year but Poyet, for all his good work, came a very distant second to Holloway in the playoffs.

Decent enough summary except its £120m including parachute payments so £60m in the bank next season :)

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Yeah I agree he set up his team well and nullified two very good passing sides but I still feel over the course of his tenure he was poor. I'm not bitter at all like I say Palace deserved promotion but I think it was in spite of him not because of him.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You need to stop your hatred for us ****ing with you and give him (Holloway) some credit. If you wanna blame someone, blame Bridge who had Wilf in his back pocket.

:lol:
show me ONE Palace fan who was giving Holloway some credit in the run up to the play offs

Albion Rob

While I don't disagree with your point about bitter posts, I do think we need to stop being such pant wetters over this £120m business.

My understanding is that is is basically to stop teams behaving exactly as Palace have in the past - ie signing players on big Premier League contracts then going into administration when they get relegated and the money dries up. IMHO a team of players who get totally bowled out of the Premier League (as virtually everyone on both sides of the divide seems to think they will) isn't necessarily going to shine in the Championship - this is Palace we're talking about here, not Newcastle. I don't think they'll do a Wolves and tumble straight through to League 1 but everyone knows Zaha was the difference for them in the playoffs and he's no longer there. They'll be packed full of players who will believe they should be in the top flight an will be thinking more about the January transfer window 2015 than a tough 46-game season to try to get back up with Palace.

All the money in he world isn't going to get you promoted if your team is full of players whose hearts aren't in it. The sorts of players clubs like Palace sign when thy get up are basically mercenaries or once-good players on heir last big contract (I don't think it would have been any different for us either).

As for Holloway, sadly for us he had the best player on he pitch at his disposal and that player did the necessary. If Barnes' effort had gone in I think we would have won but it didn't. Overall I think Holloway was marginally more effective than Poyet through experience but the two games were not n endorsement of great Championship managerial nous in my view.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

What rubbish. They kept it tight and cagey, and got a bit of magic from their Man U bound player. The Play off final was the worst I have ever watched.

We, and Watford, didn't play at out best, and palace scraped through. That doesn't make him a managerial genius. If he'd been in charge from the start of the season they probably wouldn't have been in the play offs.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
While I don't disagree with your point about bitter posts, I do think we need to stop being such pant wetters over this £120m business.

My understanding is that is is basically to stop teams behaving exactly as Palace have in the past - ie signing players on big Premier League contracts then going into administration when they get relegated and the money dries up. IMHO a team of players who get totally bowled out of the Premier League (as virtually everyone on both sides of the divide seems to think they will) isn't necessarily going to shine in the Championship - this is Palace we're talking about here, not Newcastle. I don't think they'll do a Wolves and tumble straight through to League 1 but everyone knows Zaha was the difference for them in the playoffs and he's no longer there. They'll be packed full of players who will believe they should be in the top flight an will be thinking more about the January transfer window 2015 than a tough 46-game season to try to get back up with Palace.

All the money in he world isn't going to get you promoted if your team is full of players whose hearts aren't in it. The sorts of players clubs like Palace sign when thy get up are basically mercenaries or once-good players on heir last big contract (I don't think it would have been any different for us either).

As for Holloway, sadly for us he had the best player on he pitch at his disposal and that player did the necessary. If Barnes' effort had gone in I think we would have won but it didn't. Overall I think Holloway was marginally more effective than Poyet through experience but the two games were not n endorsement of great Championship managerial nous in my view.

good post

Banned
May 19, 2013
None of us were "miffed" that you got him so your recollection is bollocks.

Your starting line up at wembley included the player you've sold for an initial £10m so what exactly is your point? We had to improve our league 1 squad to compete in the championship against teams with championship quality players, which incidentally you already had.

Think my memory is better than yours, or possibly you find it hard to read with those blinkers on

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showt...olloway-to-Palace-tomorrow&highlight=Holloway

My point was that Palace were one of the lowest spenders in the top 10, and that promotion is even more remarkable when compared to some others (like Liecester) who spent hugely more than us. Not sure why you're going on about Brighton being in League 1. You're right of course that we are blessed with a quality academy that can produce gems like Zaha and Williams, so we don't need to pay where some others do, but it's still impressive to get promoted on such a small budget. Cardiff and Hull spent vastly more to achieve the same, and lots of others spent more and got nowhere.

Holloway is seriously overrated. I think Palace will dump him mid season and be able to attract/pay a better class of manager than him.

He almost "managed" them out of the play-offs and basically he got lucky in the play offs. His player recruitment tactics seem to be based on signing Blackpool , or ex Blackpool players and he had a dust up with press and fans prior to sneaking into the play-offs. I would class him as a good League One manager , middling Championship manager.

Banned
May 19, 2013
What rubbish. They kept it tight and cagey, and got a bit of magic from their Man U bound player. The Play off final was the worst I have ever watched.

We, and Watford, didn't play at out best, and palace scraped through. That doesn't make him a managerial genius. If he'd been in charge from the start of the season they probably wouldn't have been in the play offs.

It's amazing the number of teams we've played this season who all seemed to have their off day against us :)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's amazing the number of teams we've played this season who all seemed to have their off day against us :)

Glad you admit that you've been jammy baskets.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Holloway is seriously overrated. I think Palace will dump him mid season and be able to attract/pay a better class of manager than him.

They'll doubtless dump Holloway for 'Arry mid-season. And still go down. Not that 'Arry will care much either way. Plenty more chairmen in the region more than happy to service his retirement fund.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Think my memory is better than yours, or possibly you find it hard to read with those blinkers on

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showt...olloway-to-Palace-tomorrow&highlight=Holloway

My point was that Palace were one of the lowest spenders in the top 10, and that promotion is even more remarkable when compared to some others (like Liecester) who spent hugely more than us. Not sure why you're going on about Brighton being in League 1. You're right of course that we are blessed with a quality academy that can produce gems like Zaha and Williams, so we don't need to pay where some others do, but it's still impressive to get promoted on such a small budget. Cardiff and Hull spent vastly more to achieve the same, and lots of others spent more and got nowhere.

So you remember a thread from before you joined NSC, which bell end are you formerly known as - seaside? Bustersdad?

So a few were impressed with worzel, well done. My point about league 1 was that the vast majority of our squad were not of championship quality so players had to be brought in to make us competitive in the same way that if you don't bring anyone in you will not be competitive at all next season or is that a bit too difficult for you to understand?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Well we couldn't suss it out in 135 mins (after Holloway change it at half-time), so I would suggest that is Poyet being out-thought......

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on him? Taking away the rivalry for 5 minutes, I have to admit he got the play offs spot on, but the weeks leading up to them I thought he was woeful and the 3-0 home win against palace and his substitutions seemed really strange.

He went on a terrible run and a lot of Palace were on his back, but he did what he was employed to do and got them promoted, he has also had previous success in the play offs.... So what for him next season?

Great Manager and miles better than Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here