Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Holloway losing the plot after Stoke game

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
I know that accountants build in depreciation but how does that work with a stadium like ours which will not be sold before the loan materialises in 2025 so the depreciation at the moment is just a play figure and bears no real relevance.

When the stadium is built, an estimate is made as to how long the useful life of the asset will be (say 100 years). One method is then to depreciate the asset by 1/100th every year, with that amount being offset against profits. Its a crude estimate but it does have a real impact on profits. Since a stadium isnt really comparable to a piece of machinery (which does have a finite useful life), then it could be argued that it shouldnt be classified as such. In that case it could be held as an investment property and revalued annually. In which case it would not be depreciated.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for that.

So assuming, just using the figures banded about, the cost of the stadium was £100m one would think the value would be much the same and if the life was expected to be 50 years £2m would be set against the value each year which coud be part of the £8m. If the life expectancy was until TB gets his money back it would be £4m or even £5m or am I reading this wrong

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Profits/Losses for clubs in the Championship (based on latest records) (figures in millions) for the clubs I can find

Cardiff £12.0 LOSS
Forest £11.4 LOSS
Leeds £19.6 LOSS
Burnley £4.0 LOSS
Millwall £2.0 LOSS
Leicester £15.2 LOSS
Hull £20.5 LOSS
Middlesboro £13.8 LOSS
Ipswich £6.5 LOSS
Watford £9.6 PROFIT
Bristol City £11.5 LOSS
Barnsley £0.3 LOSS
Derby £5.8 LOSS
Palace £5.3 LOSS
Blackpool £20.5 PROFIT
West Ham £18.6 LOSS
Reading £5.4 LOSS
Saints £7.7 LOSS
Pompey £?????

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks for that.

So assuming, just using the figures banded about, the cost of the stadium was £100m one would think the value would be much the same and if the life was expected to be 50 years £2m would be set against the value each year which coud be part of the £8m. If the life expectancy was until TB gets his money back it would be £4m or even £5m or am I reading this wrong

You are correct, but the annual write off should be completely independent of the loan from TB.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
How on earth has this thread turned into a thread about money loss.

D

Deleted member 18477

Holloway after the Bolton game sounded a bit too desperate to sell. He sounded like a used car salesman. He was saying that he was the best he has ever seen, blah de blah de blah. Palace do a great job of talking up the price for their players as I'm sure they say that about the bloke who went to Wigan and I cant even remember his name now. If Zaha really is that good then with Murray and Zaha in the side, then how come they have hardly won a game since November? I have no idea how good Zaha is because Ive never seen him live, but something tells me that he really is not a true world beater. We shouldn't forget that he is not even that young compared to say Ronaldo or Gazza, both of which had conquered football by the age of 19

Rooney was up there at 17/18 after announcing his name to the world with a goal against arsenal at 16!!!

Walcott after being called up to the World Cup at 17 then became a real talent during the next 2 seasons.

Zaha is young yes but others had announced themselves a lot younger and were established premier league players at 19! Are Rooney and Walcott in the top 10 best players in the world? No and not even the top 20 players in the world.

Zaha isn't that special. He's a good player and will have a nice career but holloway is f***ing laughable in what he says.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Zaha isn't that special. He's a good player and will have a nice career but holloway is f***ing laughable in what he says.

After watching Palace for over 40 years, this boy is special .
Even yesterday, some of the things he was doing was unbelievable .Holloway is quite correct in his assessment of Zaha, he is just too good for us .

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Even yesterday, some of the things he was doing was unbelievable .Holloway is quite correct in his assessment of Zaha, he is just too good for us .

If he were that special why didn't you win...

I mean he's so amazing he should be winning games by himself.

He's overrated, Bolasie is better.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2

How many bookings for simulation is it now this season?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

Bolasie had a stinker yesterday by his standards.
The amount of times Zaha crossed the ball across the box yesterday, all that was missing was FFS's normally clinical finishing.

D

Deleted member 18477

Open your eyes.

This!

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
His going out to buy milk and bread analogy made absolutely no sense whatsoever. He apparently can't just go out and buy milk and bread? Strange world you live in Holloway.

He's saying that he can do that anytime and it should be the same for buying players.

Not just a mad rush in January.

Feb 14, 2010

I think you miss the point and this is not a dig, but just objective logic. Palace struggle along and do very well given they get about 12000 paying punters plus away fans and then the freebies. Of course very good players are too big for a club of this size but that is not the point. Is he the best thing ever? No idea myself but I just look at what Ronaldo, Rooney, and Gazza had achieved and what Palace would be doing to this division if they had a 19 year old Rooney, Gazza or Ronaldo. Who was that bloke that went to Wigan as was also hailed a world beater, as genuinely I cant remember his name. This shows what a great job palace do at selling reasonable talent and getting a good price. This is by the way, a good thing, not a bad thing.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I think you miss the point and this is not a dig, but just objective logic. Palace struggle along and do very well given they get about 12000 paying punters plus away fans and then the freebies. Of course very good players are too big for a club of this size but that is not the point. Is he the best thing ever? No idea myself but I just look at what Ronaldo, Rooney, and Gazza had achieved and what Palace would be doing to this division if they had a 19 year old Rooney, Gazza or Ronaldo. Who was that bloke that went to Wigan as was also hailed a world beater, as genuinely I cant remember his name. This shows what a great job palace do at selling reasonable talent and getting a good price. This is by the way, a good thing, not a bad thing.

Yep, we struggle along, two points off an automatic place, over 17,000 there with no groupons yesterday, and linked with one of your squad players.
His name is Victor Moses, plays for Chelsea now, and no, I'm sure you're not having a dig !!

Feb 14, 2010
Yep, we struggle along, two points off an automatic place, over 17,000 there with no groupons yesterday, and linked with one of your squad players.
His name is Victor Moses, plays for Chelsea now, and no, I'm sure you're not having a dig !!

No freebies yesterday and 17000. Well done, that's only about 10,000 less than biigger clubs like Brighton get every week. How many non freeby ridden games have you managed to get 17000 paying punters through the door? The point is simple, small clubs like palace will see a player and think they are the best thing ever, but take a step back and you will realise that being a big fish in a small pond does not make you a big fish. Palace have had two insolvent situations by kidding themselves they are bigger than they are, and somehow kept hold of a multi million pound asset in Zaha from the last administration, but that does not make him better than Pele. Armstrong has made it to Chelsea, I didnt know, I hardly hear of him, which is odd as he also was touted as the best thing since football was invented

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here