Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I remember the old Radio Brighton format, where you got second half commentary if you were lucky. Then a quick report, the results and straight back to the crap music. Harty will do for me!

LEWES CLIFF

Mar 7, 2004
Seems most agree that its great to have a local phone-in but Ian Hart doesnt seem to be the cutting edge person we need to have us on the edge of our seats.Looney or Rooney:nono:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
dougdeep said:
You could buy a Walkman.

Or an 8310 Nokia. Has built in radio. I watch every game listening to SCR & watching the game. :thumbsup:

None of this polyphonic/camera/video shit either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LEWES CLIFF said:
Seems most agree that its great to have a local phone-in but Ian Hart doesnt seem to be the cutting edge person we need to have us on the edge of our seats.Looney or Rooney:nono:

I think that you have got it completely wrong in your summing up.

THE FANS do want the phone in and the chance to air their views also THE FANS appreciate what Ian has done for them and the club in general and most are well pleased with his hosting of it.

I am not sure of the exact figures but the program is listened to by over 25,000 people and about 6 on here complain not a bad success rate is it?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In all fairness I phoned up to talk about the Red for Wrexham day and got pretty much shut up about that which I think takes the piss.

Who gives a f*** about Rooney or whether the albion should have f***ing cheerleaders?

Answer? Nobody listening to that show.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will probably get slagged for this but with no offense intended towards you but I was not interestyed in Red Day for Wrexham or any other club other than BHA.

Rather than phone a local radio phone in, only listened in a small area you would have done better to phone either 606 or Talk Sport for greater coverage.

Last edited:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Ian wears his heart on his sleeve, and sometimes puts his foot in it by not thinking before he speaks. He does upset a lot of people in, and around, the game. Having said that, you will not get a more genuine guy and lover of the Albion.

It has been mentioned about the old days of Radio Brighton. Today's set up on SCR is much more relaxed and enjoyable. Most of that is influenced by Ian Hart's contribution and he seems to set the tone for the whole programme.

If you don't like Ian's ways on air you can always call the phone in, that is if you can get through. Be prepared to argue your point vehemently, because Ian will defend himself with great enthusiasm and will always have the last word.

I've clashed with Harty on a few occasions, but I like the guy. It will be a sorry day for Albion fans should SCR shit on him from a great height , like the Argus did, and pull the plug on him.

KEEP GOING IAN, OLD SON. WE LOVE YOU.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Hear hear, I like the bloke. Brighton's original cheeky chappy and a genuinely funny bloke.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ian has an incredible memory as far as the Albion is concerned, if you mention a season and the opposition, he will come back with something like, "ah yes, the 1-0 victory where Patel made his debut and Zilch got the last minute winner in the driving rain". where I forget what happened last week. Keep up the good work sir.:clap2:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Harty is a bit of a poacher turned gamekeeper but then he still often says what he thinks more than most would in his position.I read every copy of gulls eye from issue 1 which would have been around 1987 i would say and remmember how he trod on thin ice then,but did i bloody look forward to handing over my 20p.Give Harty a break.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Harty is currently off line due to a virus infecting his PC but having received a number of calls regarding this thread he has asked me to post the following message from him:

First thanks to BG for giving me the opprtunity to put my view across despite not being on line this weekend.

Apologies to Richie I wan't being rude or disrespectful to your fund raising efforts but whilst you were telling me and the listeners about what you had done there was a distraction in my headphones and consequently I missed some of your points.

As for Steve Claridge what do people want? If I give it to him with both barrels we end up with the possible situation of the players and manager refusing to give interviews and the fans/listeners missing out on post match interviews. Incidentally Hawsey, a trained journalist remarked that he considered that I handled the interview very well.

As for the bit about the PMs I will reiterate all that I have said in the past that if people on NSC via the message board become abusive and threatening towards me or members of my family I will certainly not just sit back and take it with out defending my family.

As for Rooney or Looney that was a sub topic inserted as a result of a production meeting designed to stop this weeks phone in and future phone ins becoming doom and gloom hours after any particular defeat.

Regarding this thread and previous ones like it I do not know if there is any coincidence but it always appears to come at a time when I am at loggerheads with senior figures at the club and always comes from faceless posters.

It has been suggested to me from various quarters that perhaps there could be a bit of puppeteering going on I hope that this is not the case and that nobody is having their strings pulled by me or anyone else

I am not that niave to think that everyone will love what I do and say on BBC SCR but I think that my record speaks for itself with the percentage rise in the listening figures since 1998.

I am passionate about the Albion, BBC SCR and also giving the fans of our great club the platform to air their views,however, there comes a time when you have to take stock and make changes.

Micky Adams once told me that all the time you have the majority on your side you are going in the right direction. If the original author of this thread can come forward using his proper name and gains enough legitamate support to indicate that the majority of my 25,000 plus listeners between 5 - 6 pm on a Saturday want me removed then I will most certainly reconsider my position.

Ian Hart 21 November 2004

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
With this sort of show you walk a tightrope. If you are too confrontational the club will pull its support and SCR will follow suit. I think that Ian walks this tightrope pretty well; serious ssues get discussed but no-one from the club is put on the rack to a degree that they would consider unacceptable. His style is one of the ways he does this. I am often left thumping my steering wheel at the nonsense that some callers come out with but accept it as an inevitable consequence of having an open debate. I don't always agree with Ian, the importance he appears to place on solidarity with other struggling clubs for example, but I am very glad that he does what he does.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Lord Bracknell said:
The more bollox we get on Harty's phone-in the happier NSC is. It gives us something to argue about.

Just like Naylor. The worse he is the more we need him.

Ian Hart has had to fight for the existence of the phone-in. I'm sure SCR would prefer a 30 minute studio-based regional results round-up starting at 5 o'clock and then straight into the pap that they broadcast for the rest of the week.

How about a lady's opinion on this thread? Lush? Waddya reckon?

:lolol:

I did actually phone in on Saturday (admittedly a tad late about 5.30pm) after the numerous requests for female callers. No-one phoned me back - but I have to say that Steve Claridge was a more than worthwhile substitute. :D

I was going to mention Fans Utd for Wrexham and give my opinion on the idea of having our version of The Hammerettes (Seagullettes).

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
cheshunt seagull said:
With this sort of show you walk a tightrope. If you are too confrontational the club will pull its support and SCR will follow suit. I think that Ian walks this tightrope pretty well; serious ssues get discussed but no-one from the club is put on the rack to a degree that they would consider unacceptable. His style is one of the ways he does this. I am often left thumping my steering wheel at the nonsense that some callers come out with but accept it as an inevitable consequence of having an open debate. I don't always agree with Ian, the importance he appears to place on solidarity with other struggling clubs for example, but I am very glad that he does what he does.

Just to let you know that I posted this before I read Harty's post above and was not a response to it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Taylors Dummy said:
The blokes Hart is in the right place but has no right to preach about the beautiful game. He's a total muppet ... Why does he always give an opinion of someone who didn't see want went on on the pitch?

He has no right? He has as much right to discuss the game as any other fan - does he have to have ten years hosting 606 and a Champions League title to talk about football on the radio? Bollocks.

Not sure I completely understand the second part, but he does see what happens on the pitch - he's at almost every game! These sort of threads do become tiresome, he does a good job, even if he isn't perfect.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
To Ian Hart.

progMy only problem with the phone in, is that it starts and finish's to early. By the time i get back to the car i've missed most of it. How about a 5-30 start, with the local results and reports on first? Harty, keep up the good work, it's a great prog

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Harty does a great job with limited resources,only has a small squad to help him and lacks that main frontman. He will always get my backing he is Albion through and through.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: To Ian Hart.

southwickseagull said:
progMy only problem with the phone in, is that it starts and finish's to early. By the time i get back to the car i've missed most of it. How about a 5-30 start, with the local results and reports on first? Harty, keep up the good work, it's a great prog

I agree a good suggestion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here