Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iain Duncan Smith resigns

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
George Osborne is my constituency MP and spectacularly inept, but they could stick a blue rosette on the dug up corpse of Jimmy Savile here and he'd still get in.

IDS is however my least favourite MP of all time (even worse than that prick George Galloway) for his contempt for the disabled, refusal to take responsibly for his own ineptitude (read the National Audit Office's reports into his Universal Credit cost overruns) and double standards which are eyebrow raising even by his colleagues from all parties usual snout in the trough standards.

His comments about those who used to be found work by Remploy beggar belief. Removing self respect and a sense of purpose for those have the odds stacked against them is without any defence IMO.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not the only Tory uncomfortable as alluded to on Question Time last night.

Irrespective of his agenda - when someone at the top who was actively an architect of the cuts resigns on ideological reasons there is a storm brewing.

How depressing. All the political parties in a complete mess. A man with a 2:1 in Modern History is running the economy. Another who is quite obviously anti EU is keeping his mouth shut over the issue whilst he watches the other party destroy itself.

If you align yourself to any of them at the moment you are pissing in the wind.

I just wish they would all **** off.

I find the Tories current behaivour as odd as Labour. Sensibly they would take the middle ground and lead for decades. Nope, just take the nasty party position which will keep them in power until Labour move to the centre again.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
quite amusing seeing all the lefties confused and bewildered by this move, he cant possibly have done it for the reason stated, must be for another.

This is the intolerable situation we find ourselves in. Ironically, Corbyn has in many ways been great. He's managed to mobilise and wake up many uninvolved or disenfranchised people and reinvolve them with politics.

great at ways that dont really help anyone except his clique. if you hadnt noticed Labour has been anonymous this week, other than a unmemorable rant after the budget, the Tory back benchers are currently the effective opposition.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
He's a total hypocrite- this resignation has got to be all about Brexit and discrediting Osborne - "IDS resigns because disability benefits cuts too severe" sounds like a joke, given everything else he's been responsible for in the last few years.
Whatever the reason though - good riddance!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not the only Tory uncomfortable as alluded to on Question Time last night.

Irrespective of his agenda - when someone at the top who was actively an architect of the cuts resigns on ideological reasons there is a storm brewing.

How depressing. All the political parties in a complete mess.

If you align yourself to any of them at the moment you are pissing in the wind.

I would not say Labour were in a mess the word I would use is mustering

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
quite amusing seeing all the lefties confused and bewildered by this move, he cant possibly have done it for the reason stated, must be for another.

great at ways that dont really help anyone except his clique. if you hadnt noticed Labour has been anonymous this week, other than a unmemorable rant after the budget, the Tory back benchers are currently the effective opposition.

I said before out buying pringles
they will not have to do anything
the tories will do it to themselves ................................just hope it takes a little while, so Labour can hitch up their trousers and get on with readying themselves for government

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
He's a total hypocrite- this resignation has got to be all about Brexit and discrediting Osborne - "IDS resigns because disability benefits cuts too severe" sounds like a joke, given everything else he's been responsible for in the last few years.
Whatever the reason though - good riddance!

Apparently it's not strictly the disability benefit cuts per se, but the cuts alongside the tax cuts for the richest.

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
Ian "DIMWIT" Smith hates GIDEON, and supports exit from the EU. The good ship"We are all in this together" has been holed below the water line and the rats are fighting for the life jackets?.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I said before out buying pringles
they will not have to do anything
[/B]the tories will do it to themselves ................................just hope it takes a little while, so Labour can hitch up their trousers and get on with readying themselves for government

best find another leader then

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
he cant possibly have done it for the reason stated, must be for another.

the Tory back benchers are currently the effective opposition.

He thinks Boris is a better bet than Gid. I make him right.

And yes they are but it's still massively stupid of the Tories to govern like they have a majority of 150. 2 BIG, unnecessary and completely avoidable mistakes already. If there's no opposition, it should really be very easy.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey. A,man accuses labour supporters of generalising, by generalising all labour supporters

No, I didn't.

I referred to "all Labour thickies" which is not saying that all Labour voters and loyalists are thickies. We have many left-leaning posters on NSC who are intelligent and possess independence to their thought. They can respect and give their support to policy emanating from the right if they asses it as being beneficial. They may never vote Conservative of course, but they are not so blinkered as to always say or believe "Tories are all evil, who hate the poor and want to look after their fat cat mates."

Unfortunately, we also have a fair few posters who are not capable of this. They are the Labour thickies.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
No, I didn't.

I referred to "all Labour thickies" which is not saying that all Labour voters and loyalists are thickies. We have many left-leaning posters on NSC who are intelligent and possess independence to their thought. They can respect and give their support to policy emanating from the right if they asses it as being beneficial. They may never vote Conservative of course, but they are not so blinkered as to always say or believe "Tories are all evil, who hate the poor and want to look after their fat cat mates."

Unfortunately, we also have a fair few posters who are not capable of this. They are the Labour thickies.

Presumably there are tory thickies too then? And if so why only single one type?!

Why not say all labour and tory thickies?!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Osborne has done a u turn and dropped the cuts to the disabled.
So he is now using the policy to play political games making IDS look like his resignation was a waste of time.
Unbelievable dirty politics.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He thinks Boris is a better bet than Gid. I make him right.

And yes they are but it's still massively stupid of the Tories to govern like they have a majority of 150. 2 BIG, unnecessary and completely avoidable mistakes already. If there's no opposition, it should really be very easy.

Or the shocking state of Labour may well have given them the idea they could get away with anything. They think they will win the next election come what may and they almost certainly will if Corbyn is Labour leader.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here