Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iain Duncan Smith resigns

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
indeed, my immediate reaction to reading IDS statement was that it don't believe a word of it. Trying to discredit Osborne, who in all honesty seems perfectly capable of discrediting himself.

I think IDS is still fuming that Osborne used the budget to quote the probable disaster if we vote out.
That was a major mistake, the backbenchers will now go to war with the front bench

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I didn't follow the budget at all this week due to an unfortunate clash of scheduling with Cheltenham. I'll catch up at some point over the weekend. However, from the little I have heard, I think I am likely to be disappointed with some of the policies being pursued and, if so, I'll say as much.

You see, unlike all of the Labour thickies we are 'blessed' with on NSC, I am able to assess policy decisions on a case by case basis. I do not apply a simplistic "It's Tory so it must be fab / It's Labour so it must be shit" view to all political happenings.

It's a genuine shame that others are not able to do likewise, as it would surely make for significantly better political debate, both on these pages and beyond.

Blimey. A,man accuses labour supporters of generalising, by generalising all labour supporters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We presently have an unelectable Labour run by a career Spartist and an even dumber chancellor, a Tory party having it's 20th civil war over Europe, and the LibDems so anonymous even their own mothers wouldn't recognise them.
This is the intolerable situation we find ourselves in. Ironically, Corbyn has in many ways been great. He's managed to mobilise and wake up many uninvolved or disenfranchised people and reinvolve them with politics. Trouble for labor is that they are largely the 'wrong people' due to our electoral system. The Tories are making a terrible hash this term. Perhaps the lib dems need a bit of credence for mellowing the Tories last time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
IDS obviousl feels he's been stitched up. I'm guessing he was told there had to be cuts with, but not that his departments would be the only high profile ones ( or ones not some vague promise at some future time) and that neither did he know there would be tax cuts for the rich.
Still it's hardly a disaster for the govt, it's not like any moderates actually like the bloke, hwe's form the weird bugeyed wing of the party that puts normal people off.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Blimey. A,man accuses labour supporters of generalising, by generalising all labour supporters

No,it was merely pointed out that ALL of NSC's LABOUR support were thickies.......

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This is the intolerable situation we find ourselves in. Ironically, Corbyn has in many ways been great. He's managed to mobilise and wake up many uninvolved or disenfranchised people and reinvolve them with politics. Trouble for labor is that they are largely the 'wrong people' due to our electoral system. The Tories are making a terrible hash this term. Perhaps the lib dems need a bit of credence for mellowing the Tories last time.

Absolutely bang on.
Sometimes its just about saying the right things at the right time, Corbyn and McDonnell have done just that this week and in a way that almost makes you believe them.
The Tories have taken it too far and have shot themselves in the foot, even with their own backbenchers on the warpath, incredible stupidity.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's making a stand against the disgraceful cuts to the disabled announced in the budget. Good on him.
Quite right.

The suggested cuts to the disabled are a disgrace, and reducing capital gains tax is totally unnecessary. Reducing corporation tax I'm not so against (doesn't affect me) as at least it encourages investment and can increase employment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here