Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I used to hate Radiohead

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Radiohead are by far and away my favourite band but I understand why people might not like them. They are quite depressing.

You know those "best albums of all time" programs on channel 4?? You should notice that both The Bends and OK Computer are almost allways in the top 10, if not the top 5. After these two albums they released Kid A, which was a MASSIVE dissapointment at the time as it is nothing like previous albums. But imho has their best song on it (How to dissapear completely)

Not everyones cup of tea, but surely everyone can agree that thom has an incredible talent for song writing.

That sounds like some new-age cd you could buy in the 'Save The Rainforest And Joss Sticks' shop, with some tired-out boring GIT moaning some poor bloody nursery rhyme over the top.

That's what it actually is? Oh...I see....well then, yeah, exactly what it says on the tin then.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I am thinking that perhaps it is Thom Yorke I have the problem with... a bit like U2 and my rabid hatred of the poison Irish dwarf clouding my judgement over everything they have ever produced.

I am going hunting for other Jonny Greenwood work, I know that he is the only trained musician in Radiohead, and there must be other stuff out there.

Listen to the soundtrack to "There will be blood"

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
hmmmmm....well, I have to say I love Radiohead, although 'Hail to the Thief'is my favourite, but Thom Yorke falls into the category (along with people like Andy Partridge) who, although I will admire them from afar, I don't think I'd get on with if I met them IRL.

fake edit: and I hate Michael McIntyre with every inch of my soul....#

fake fake edit: and Bono too....

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
If you 'hate' Radiohead why would you listen to a Radiohead song? You don't have to you know. If it's going to make you upset then why not try, y'know, not listening to them.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9t2FFh6LA

As El P says, it took him 10 years to appreciate OK Computer as a half decent album, and I don't have the time for that!

The lyrics are just not for me, ignorant or not. I find his voice annoying, and actually separating the voice from the rest of the track is quite relaxing on an instrumental basis. Jonny Greenwood is a bit special...

Can you explain how this is "uplifting"? Considering it was based on a conversation he had with Michael Stipe about escaping from himself during the pressures of touring, and Yorke also admits that he follows the Dada-ist method of writing lyrics (putting words in a hat and pulling them out!). Looking at some of his interviews, he is far too intense and his vocal style is contrived to distance himself from the sounds of the music - a little bit too arty for most of us!

That there
That's not me
I go
Where I please
I walk through walls
I float down the Liffey
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

In a little while
I'll be gone
The moment's already passed
Yeah it's gone
And I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

Yeah, alright we get it, you don't like them, can you now please shut the f*** up you boring gobshite.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
If you 'hate' Radiohead why would you listen to a Radiohead song? You don't have to you know. If it's going to make you upset then why not try, y'know, not listening to them.

Because it was a link on the BBC website, it was touted as a tribute song, and the radio stations have been playing it and wanking themselves silly over it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Listen to it. Thom Yorke sounds like someone is slowly grinding his bollocks through a mangle...

And that differs from other Radiohead songs because...?

I'm not a big Radiohead fan, although I wouldn't say I hate them, I opened this thread to see if there was anything world-shattering to change my mind but seems there isn't.

Although HS, with your dislike of Radiohead and Bono, you seem a sound chap. Any special punishments for Chris Martin and the rest of Coldplay while we're talking complete cocks in the music industry.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Although HS, with your dislike of Radiohead and Bono, you seem a sound chap. Any special punishments for Chris Martin and the rest of Coldplay while we're talking complete cocks in the music industry.

So boring. I get that they're annoying, but I think complete **** is going a bit far for people actually using their money to make a difference, surely that makes them less appropriate to title "complete ****s" than Artists who simply spend their money on massive houses and swimming pools etc, rather than actually making a difference.

Ridiculous, when you think about the grand scheme of things.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Because it was a link on the BBC website, it was touted as a tribute song, and the radio stations have been playing it and wanking themselves silly over it.

The family are very pleased about it....

The grandson of Harry Patch, the late British World War 1 veteran who was the last surviving UK soldier from the conflict until he passed away last month, has spoken about Radiohead's tribute song, 'Harry Patch (In Memory Of)'.

Yesterday (August 5) Radiohead made the song available as a download to benefit the Royal British Legion, with frontman Thom Yorke writing it after being inspired by a 2005 radio interview with Patch.

Now Patch's grandson, Roger Patch, has given his backing to the song, saying he believes that his granddad would be equally enamoured.

"Our family is very touched that Radiohead has reached out to its followers and especially the younger generation through the single that echoes Harry's interview in 2005," he told The Sun.

He added: "Harry loved music and would be 100 per cent behind Radiohead in raising awareness of the suffering of conflict – not least the futility of it – in a way that can also benefit the Legion. It's a great idea which we support wholeheartedly."

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
I thought they were shit until Kid A and now i like em, Less f***ing guitars you see

Guitars are SOOOOOOOOOOO 20th Century, i am taking the piss but it is true

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The family are very pleased about it....

The grandson of Harry Patch, the late British World War 1 veteran who was the last surviving UK soldier from the conflict until he passed away last month, has spoken about Radiohead's tribute song, 'Harry Patch (In Memory Of)'.

Yesterday (August 5) Radiohead made the song available as a download to benefit the Royal British Legion, with frontman Thom Yorke writing it after being inspired by a 2005 radio interview with Patch.

Now Patch's grandson, Roger Patch, has given his backing to the song, saying he believes that his granddad would be equally enamoured.

"Our family is very touched that Radiohead has reached out to its followers and especially the younger generation through the single that echoes Harry's interview in 2005," he told The Sun.

He added: "Harry loved music and would be 100 per cent behind Radiohead in raising awareness of the suffering of conflict – not least the futility of it – in a way that can also benefit the Legion. It's a great idea which we support wholeheartedly."

The music is beautiful and appropriate but I have to agree Yorke's vocals are eye wateringly horrible. If Morten Harket had done the vocals we may have had a real winner.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMHO Radiohead are utterly and uniquely unlistenable. Perfect whiney music to play over tannoys at tinpot West Sussex railway stations to force chavs to jog on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here