Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I used to hate Radiohead

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
How To Disappear Completely is one of the most uplifting songs I've ever heard in my life. Also the song Lucky.

It's ignorant to call something depressing or whiny without listening properly to the lyrics. Not "overly" serious, just serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9t2FFh6LA

As El P says, it took him 10 years to appreciate OK Computer as a half decent album, and I don't have the time for that!

The lyrics are just not for me, ignorant or not. I find his voice annoying, and actually separating the voice from the rest of the track is quite relaxing on an instrumental basis. Jonny Greenwood is a bit special...

Can you explain how this is "uplifting"? Considering it was based on a conversation he had with Michael Stipe about escaping from himself during the pressures of touring, and Yorke also admits that he follows the Dada-ist method of writing lyrics (putting words in a hat and pulling them out!). Looking at some of his interviews, he is far too intense and his vocal style is contrived to distance himself from the sounds of the music - a little bit too arty for most of us!

That there
That's not me
I go
Where I please
I walk through walls
I float down the Liffey
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

In a little while
I'll be gone
The moment's already passed
Yeah it's gone
And I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've never liked really liked Radiohead, I can't really get into all that meloncholic stuff. I do, however, appreciate that they are elements of genius in their music. I just can't listen to it for long enough to really discover it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9t2FFh6LA

As El P says, it took him 10 years to appreciate OK Computer as a half decent album, and I don't have the time for that!

The lyrics are just not for me, ignorant or not. I find his voice annoying, and actually separating the voice from the rest of the track is quite relaxing on an instrumental basis. Jonny Greenwood is a bit special...

Can you explain how this is "uplifting"? Considering it was based on a conversation he had with Michael Stipe about escaping from himself during the pressures of touring, and Yorke also admits that he follows the Dada-ist method of writing lyrics (putting words in a hat and pulling them out!). Looking at some of his interviews, he is far too intense and his vocal style is contrived to distance himself from the sounds of the music - a little bit too arty for most of us!

That there
That's not me
I go
Where I please
I walk through walls
I float down the Liffey
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

In a little while
I'll be gone
The moment's already passed
Yeah it's gone
And I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

That sounds incredibly relaxing and uplifting to me, the idea of complete escape.

Bands that I find depressing:

The Fratellis
The View
The Twang
Oasis
etc

Those bands sound like a depressing dirge to me.

I'm glad that you can see Radiohead musically have merit. Jonny is indeed special...

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
i need to know what Uncle Spielberg thinks before i can comment.

He is away appraising donkeys for the next flat season. He has told me to tell you that you do not like Radiohead as they are too right wing, and that Thom Yorke personally hates you because you smiled during the last album.

OK?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
That sounds incredibly relaxing and uplifting to me, the idea of complete escape.

Bands that I find depressing:

The Fratellis
The View
The Twang
Oasis
etc

Those bands sound like a depressing dirge to me.

I'm glad that you can see Radiohead musically have merit. Jonny is indeed special...

I am thinking that perhaps it is Thom Yorke I have the problem with... a bit like U2 and my rabid hatred of the poison Irish dwarf clouding my judgement over everything they have ever produced.

I am going hunting for other Jonny Greenwood work, I know that he is the only trained musician in Radiohead, and there must be other stuff out there.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I agree and disagree. The music itself is beautiful but I agree Yorke's vocals are simply shocking. His vocals ruin an otherwise excellent piece of music.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Greenwood did the score for "There will be blood". I like him! As US says, Yorke is the one that kills it for me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I am thinking that perhaps it is Thom Yorke I have the problem with... a bit like U2 and my rabid hatred of the poison Irish dwarf clouding my judgement over everything they have ever produced.

I am going hunting for other Jonny Greenwood work, I know that he is the only trained musician in Radiohead, and there must be other stuff out there.

It could be...I hate U2 for the same Bono reasons.

I think Jonny Greenwood did the music for a film. That should be available somewhere. I think he might have done a score for an orchestra aswell(though I may have made that up...).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Radiohead - Music's equivalent of Michaal McIntyre.

(There. That should dovetail the binfests nicely.)

EDIT: Bugger! Beaten to it by Cheeky Monkey! (Should have read the thread first!)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The words are trite, contrived and "look at me" pathetic. They could be written by any 15 year old about how bad war is and how we could never have war again. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit. It's a bloody embarrassment.

As mentioned in another thread they are Harrys own words from an interview 5 years back. That would have made him 106 at the time.

At least they paid a tribute to him - you've just slagged him off.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
As mentioned in another thread they are Harrys own words from an interview 5 years back. That would have made him 106 at the time.

At least they paid a tribute to him - you've just slagged him off.

Have you listened to the interview you ****? They are NOT his words, they are Thom Yorke's interpretation of them - he says so on the Radiohead site.

Jesus, I would love to come round to your house, not to give you a smack, but to get a good look at "stupid" up close.

You might want to do some research before coming on here and confirming to all of us that you are a prat. What do you think my previous career was, and why would that previous career not give me grounds to slag him off?

Mods - are we allowed three village idiots? Can this one stand in for the two that are banned?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Have you listened to the interview you ****? They are NOT his words, they are Thom Yorke's interpretation of them - he says so on the Radiohead site.

Jesus, I would love to come round to your house, not to give you a smack, but to get a good look at "stupid" up close.

You might want to do some research before coming on here and confirming to all of us that you are a prat. What do you think my previous career was, and why would that previous career not give me grounds to slag him off?

Mods - are we allowed three village idiots? Can this one stand in for the two that are banned?

You're a bit of a twat aren't you - just because you (unitentionally perhaps) slagged him off and have been caught out.

It quite obvious (to most fools) that they are a direct lifting of Harry words (unless Thom Yorke himself fought in WW1 and is allowed therefore to use talk in the first person)

I agree that there is a slight difference...

Having listened to the interview with Harry I'll admit that his exact words were 'World War 3 will be chemical, I don't want to see that'

whereas in this song they sing

"the next will be chemical but they will never learn"

Very little else has changed from Harry words.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It could be...I hate U2 for the same Bono reasons.

I get so bored of this. I GET IT that he's acts like a bit of an idiot, but do people really not think that pales into insignificance considering the massive amounts he's done for poverty?

Regardless of personality, his actions will mark him down as a fantastic bloke.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Those boys don't half know how to use their guitars, amps and effects pedals in bloody interesting ways... but for me, that's where my appreciation ends.

I'm the type of person who thinks 'Creep' is their best song.. so you can probably guess what I think of the rest of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Those boys don't half know how to use their guitars, amps and effects pedals in bloody interesting ways... but for me, that's where my appreciation ends.

I'm the type of person who thinks 'Creep' is their best song.. so you can probably guess what I think of the rest of it.

How about Just? That's a straight forward rockin tune by their standards.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
You're a bit of a twat aren't you - just because you (unitentionally perhaps) slagged him off and have been caught out.

It quite obvious (to most fools) that they are a direct lifting of Harry words (unless Thom Yorke himself fought in WW1 and is allowed therefore to use talk in the first person)

I agree that there is a slight difference...

Having listened to the interview with Harry I'll admit that his exact words were 'The next war will be chemical, I don't want to see that'

Very little else has changed from Harry words.

No. Read carefully.

They are not a direct lifting of the words, you say so yourself above. You should, as you have said to others before, check before talking. Pedantic semantics perhaps, but when you are trying to make a point, you really should be exact in what you are saying.

And if you truly want to be shat all over, listen to it AGAIN and listen for the differences. We'll call it poetic licence shall we? The actual interview does not follow the Radiohead song, he has chosen words for strength of feeling. He says that he used the words for inspiration.

I am the only one that got through
The others died where ever they fell
It was an ambush
They came up from all sides
Give your leaders each a gun and then let them fight it out themselves
I've seen devils coming up from the ground
I've seen hell upon this earth
The next will be chemical but they will never learn

Many poems and stories are written in the first person despite the person not actually being there - you should visit a library more often.

Here's the link to the Today interview so you can wallow in your own rank stupidity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today1_ww1_20051224.ram

And don't accuse me of insulting an ex-Serviceman.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Keane are from Battle, they named themselves after one of the cleaners at their public school, whizzer chaps, what

Thom Yorke is a musical genius, he's posh as well, nuffink wrong with that either. There's a lot of good music in the UK, and there always has been right back to the days of skiffle and the early mods.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I get so bored of this. I GET IT that he's acts like a bit of an idiot, but do people really not think that pales into insignificance considering the massive amounts he's done for poverty?

Regardless of personality, his actions will mark him down as a fantastic bloke.

I'm not saying that bono is a bad person or that being a bit of a dick outweighs his philanthropic tendencies. I'm saying that a big reason why I don't like U2 is that Bono-as a frontman- is a cock. A really annoying, dull, overly earnest, self absorbed cock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here