Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think some people need to RAISE their expectations of next season

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I don't think anyone's saying that we don't have a chance of promotion next year, and definitely that they wouldn't take it. Everyone on this board I would imagine wants promotion. But we need to keep our feet on the ground and realise that if we don't make it next season, we still have a brilliant future and it's not a complete failure. It will happen, just maybe not as quickly as some seem to think/expect.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Realistically, we have a good chance of hitting at least the top 6 next season... there, I've said it...

Provided we have some further investment in players

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TB will tell Gus he expects a top 2 finish next season , anything less would be an admittance that the club has no ambition. The majority of Brighton fans would take a top 8 finish right now if it also meant Palace either being relegated or being kind to them , finishing 12 points behind us.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Realistically, we have a good chance of hitting at least the top 6 next season... there, I've said it...

And how on earth can you judge that ? You don't know who we'll be playing next year and you don't know what our squad will be. If we changed nothing, I doubt this squad would finish as high as this season.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I don't think anyone's saying that we don't have a chance of promotion next year, and definitely that they wouldn't take it. Everyone on this board I would imagine wants promotion. But we need to keep our feet on the ground and realise that if we don't make it next season, we still have a brilliant future and it's not a complete failure. It will happen, just maybe not as quickly as some seem to think/expect.

Next season will be ace regardless as I just love watching the Albion, but we have gotta aim high.

Promotion must be the target, and if it's not achieved then we need to examine why, not rely on the "one day it will happen" mentality.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Next season will be ace regardless as I just love watching the Albion, but we have gotta aim high.

Promotion must be the target, and if it's not achieved then we need to examine why, not rely on the "one day it will happen" mentality.

Aim for promotion, definitely. If it's not achieved then by all means we should analyse where we can improve. But we definitely should not panic and sack the management if we don't achieve it, as many on here are suggesting. That would be a huge step backwards.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Aim for promotion, definitely. If it's not achieved then by all means we should analyse where we can improve. But we definitely should not panic and sack the management if we don't achieve it, as many on here are suggesting. That would be a huge step backwards.

Totally agreed. :)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Totally agreed. :)

Get off NSC now mate and give your misses a good ragging. That has to be a far more productive way of spending your time surely ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As a direct response to the other thread talking about lowering expectations, below are my reasons why this is defnintely not the right way to go.

All this talk of lowering expectations is absolute nonsense.

The only way to possibly improve at anything ever in the world ever is to achieve what you can, and then do everything in your power to better yourself the next time you do that thing.

This applies to running marathons, running businesses, running the NHS or running Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.

I would absolutely hate to be somebody who just thinks "well this is my lot in life, I need to be realistic and not strive for anything better"

FFS how would the majority of you feel if Tony and Gus came out in a press conference and said "well next season we are just going to try and not do worse than we did last season; however we expect we will as football is tough. The fans need to lower their expectations"

People would be in uproar about this, and rightly so.

Get a grip people, we need to to better next season than we did this season, or next season is an abject failure. Simple as that.

I think we all hope that this season is a springboard to something better next year, but ultimately the decision initially rests with TB as he sets the budget.

Rumours are that he is very disappointed at some of the profligacy this season, not necessarily by Gus though......

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

At last a sensible poster. Exactly what I meant. I would hate to be in Gus's position when asked where we are aiming for. Because if he said 'automatic' a lot of people would get on his back and constantly moan if we didn't achieve it. But on the flip side if he didn't set his sights that high he would be called unambitious etc. We are a club on the up, and obviously promotion is the target, but if we don't get promoted we should stick with Gus (providing he doesn't leave) because I believe he will build a top quality squad. And if that has to happen slowly, so be it. But I fear some on here will grow impatient if we don't make the top 6 at least next year.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
At last a sensible poster. Exactly what I meant. I would hate to be in Gus's position when asked where we are aiming for. Because if he said 'automatic' a lot of people would get on his back and constantly moan if we didn't achieve it. But on the flip side if he didn't set his sights that high he would be called unambitious etc. We are a club on the up, and obviously promotion is the target, but if we don't get promoted we should stick with Gus (providing he doesn't leave) because I believe he will build a top quality squad. And if that has to happen slowly, so be it. But I fear some on here will grow impatient if we don't make the top 6 at least next year.

Gus does not give a flying one about the people on here the person he needs to worry about if we fail to get a top 6 finish next season is Tony Bloom.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You think Bloom will fire Gus if we fail to make the top 6 next season?

Not sure to be honest. I am sure Bloom will give him 3 seasons but not 5 fannying around in this division as some people seem to think.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In short Gus has done a very good job but I don't think the World would end if he left us.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure to be honest. I am sure Bloom will give him 3 seasons but not 5 fannying around in this division as some people seem to think.

Will TB be that itchy on the trigger ? It would be easy to become one of those chairmen who just fires someone on a regular basis such as Bates or Jordan and that does not build anything long term and would reduce the fans respect for TB. If we have sustained improvements on and off the pitch at all levels of the club I'd like to think that the GP and TB can forge a great long term relationship/partnership. That's the way forward.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If we are prepared to spend £22m on an Academy and training facility,then we are close,or near to getting ready to take a huge leap at the big time-

Many clubs could build a new ground with that amount of money-

I am patient and can wait,but not for waiting's sake-we need as many have said to take the opportunity when it comes-

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I think we all hope that this season is a springboard to something better next year, but ultimately the decision initially rests with TB as he sets the budget.

Rumours are that he is very disappointed at some of the profligacy this season, not necessarily by Gus though......

I don't understand.

Who could Bloom be disappointed with for being "profligate" other than the one person he gives money to?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As a direct response to the other thread talking about lowering expectations, below are my reasons why this is defnintely not the right way to go.

All this talk of lowering expectations is absolute nonsense.

The only way to possibly improve at anything ever in the world ever is to achieve what you can, and then do everything in your power to better yourself the next time you do that thing.

This applies to running marathons, running businesses, running the NHS or running Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.

I would absolutely hate to be somebody who just thinks "well this is my lot in life, I need to be realistic and not strive for anything better"

FFS how would the majority of you feel if Tony and Gus came out in a press conference and said "well next season we are just going to try and not do worse than we did last season; however we expect we will as football is tough. The fans need to lower their expectations"

People would be in uproar about this, and rightly so.

Get a grip people, we need to to better next season than we did this season, or next season is an abject failure. Simple as that.

What fans' expectations are next season - whether they are high or low, whether we 'believe' or not, whether we think Gus is the right man for the job or not - all of that makes zero difference at all. We are not the ones on the pitch with the task of playing the game.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Personally the more relevant question is oldest one known to football fans;

"Would you rather repeatedly win 1-0 and be successful, or see entertaining 2-2 draws with the odd 4-3 win maybe and some losses, not be successful, but more importantly enjoy the ride?"

After watching West Ham down here this season, personally I would rather be entertained and mid table, than watch that pony week in week out and go up.

After years of complete abject failure and boredom, I am just enjoying this new experience of watching people like Vicente, Noone and CMS. Long may it continue.

Just my opinion though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here