Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think Gus should keep his mouth shut re transfer activity.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It was the same last season. Too much comment from him leading to all kinds of eager anticipation from the fans. Then when nothing happens we all get depressed.

Much better if he says nothing. Then when a signing happens we can enjoy the moment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If nothing is said, fans moan about nothing being said. 'Why aren't the club doing anything? The club should get off it's fat lazy backside and get some players signed' - that sort of thing.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Very true. In fact he opens his gob far too often on other matters just to get some column inches IMO.

It's in his south American blood I guess but the club really need to pull him in a bit sometimes

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nsc gold

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It was the same last season. Too much comment from him leading to all kinds of eager anticipation from the fans. Then when nothing happens we all get depressed.

Much better if he says nothing. Then when a signing happens we can enjoy the moment.

But he's dammed if he does and damned if he doesn't.

And to be fair he's hardly said anything you wouldn't expect from any other manager at this time of year.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Poyet is probably to vocal about everything. I'm sure he will learn in time its sometimes better to keep it zipped but he is his own man and we'll miss him when he is gone

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is difficult for managers. Fans want to know what's going on. They get asked all the time about certain deals, and often information is available from 'the other end' even if he doesn't discuss it. Then if they do talk about it and it doesn't happen, they get slammed for that as well.

However, as a general rule I do think the most successful clubs in this area are the ones who manage to stay schtum until the deal is 100 per cent done. That is hard once the cat is out of the bag, but anything else and you're a hostage to fortune. And I would rather wait a week or two than miss out on the player altogether because someone hijacks a public but unsecured deal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very true. In fact he opens his gob far too often on other matters just to get some column inches IMO.

It's in his south American blood I guess but the club really need to pull him in a bit sometimes

Naylor has to fill his column inches (or Owen) every day and the manager is obliged to make press statements.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It is difficult for managers. Fans want to know what's going on. They get asked all the time about certain deals, and often information is available from 'the other end' even if he doesn't discuss it. Then if they do talk about it and it doesn't happen, they get slammed for that as well.

However, as a general rule I do think the most successful clubs in this area are the ones who manage to stay schtum until the deal is 100 per cent done. That is hard once the cat is out of the bag, but anything else and you're a hostage to fortune. And I would rather wait a week or two than miss out on the player altogether because someone hijacks a public but unsecured deal.

Actually you make a good point. He could probably be a quiet manager that says nothing but with the amount of press hounding he only has to say 1 thing and then we get stories printed everywhere and then the same stories re-hashed from a different angle

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So what has he actually said then? Apart from close to a gem and a couple of other signings which could be ANYONE and a bit about Vicente?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

He doesn't give a shit what you think. Gus is someone who speaks his mind. A journalist asks him a question, he gives them an honest answer. It really is that simple. I wish people would finally realise that. Once they do, they'll stop getting all a fluster every time he comes out with something. Just enjoy the close season, everything will be in place for August 18th!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

So you thought the signing of CMS, Buckley, Hoskins and then Vicente we crap last summer transfer window

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Naylor has to fill his column inches (or Owen) every day and the manager is obliged to make press statements.

That maybe true but it's what he says or on what subject matter he chooses to pipe up about that causes a stir.

Suarez was an example last season.

Poyet should just be a bit more cagey when talking to the press about transfers for example. He does not have to say signings in the next few days does he.

Some of his post match interviews can be a little cringey sometimes too. Although I guess a lot of managers can be like that in the immediate aftermath of a game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That maybe true but it's what he says or on what subject matter he chooses to pipe up about that causes a stir.

Suarez was an example last season.

Poyet should just be a bit more cagey when talking to the press about transfers for example. He does not have to say signings in the next few days does he.

Some of his post match interviews can be a little cringey sometimes too. Although I guess a lot of managers can be like that in the immediate aftermath of a game.

How much more cagey can he be?

He has hardly said a word on transfers apart from 'we're looking to get some players in...'

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
How much more cagey can he be?

He has hardly said a word on transfers apart from 'we're looking to get some players in...'

Next few days was a give away. Why give a time frame? It's the same with him fully expecting Vicente to be at training and a fair few other quotes on Vicente that has possibly caused a problem on the matter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here