Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I sometimes despair with the people who follow this club

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
After yesterdays performance - which I did happen to attend - I am not sure where my head is with the people who (absolutely have the right to) voice their opinion at certain elements within the club.

This is not about who is the best fan, who has been to the most games, who was at gillingham blah blah blah. It is about the very term we refer to our ourselves - 'supporters'.

Currently having attended a few home games, and several away games and reading what is posted on here - it seems that simple facts are being brushed to one side and ignored.

I have been watching the Albion since 1980 - that simply is the basis as to the relevant opinion I have as to what is happening at the club. In a previous job (not the one with the brush with HR!) have been involved in a number of deals that my previous company have worked on with DK's range of companies - through that I have met and talked to a number of people that have realsonably relevant opinions as to the intention, objectives and aim behind the current funders at the club.

I remember going to Plymouth in about 92, and watching raphael meade snatching a late equaliser - there were around 150 Albion fans at that game. I remember in 91 beating Barnsley 1-0 at the Goldstone in possible the dullest game I can remember - in front of less than 5200 fans. In fact the largest gate in that Play -Off final year in the league was just over 10,000 on a Wednesday night when we got utterly stuffed 4-0 by Wednesday.

The point I am trying to make?? This county, since the relegation from the Top Flight in 1983 has NOT been a hot bed of football - it is a provincial club with potential that has rarely enticed the population of Sussex and the fringes round it to come and watch our beloved team week in week out.

There is potential - huge catchment area (although London very close), one of the wealthiest populations in the country - which provides other interests not afforded by the majority of other population.

The simple fact is that without the funding, the backing of DK and co we have no club. Argue what you like but this is a business, and with no offices, no cash-flow and no future you have no business.

I honestly believe that we have forgotten how close we came to disappearing altogether. In fact I remember the 97 season, Hereford et al, that a number of the regulars were preparing themselves for the founding of a Phoenix club - that we expected to start again in provincial, semi-professional football.

Here we are, 11 years later, having played some great football, in a level we could hardly believe we were playing, and getting promotions and some great days out.

Things have moved on but expectation is dangerous bedfellow - now I hear some poeple saying that Dick Knight is in the same category as Archer - that is just appalling to hear.

On a business note, no-one would have invested in this club to keep it afloat at a time when we had Gillingham to look forward, Withdean as a highlight and now the promise of Falmer becoming reality.

I talk of relevant opinion - if there is anyone on here with a CV that shows they have taken a broke football club, played home games 80 miles away, got back to the city of it's birth and then built a modern stadium in the most heavily portected countryside outside the national parks in Derbyshire and Yorkshire, and delivered all this in 5-7 years - I stand corrected.

Like it or loath it the facts as I seem them are this - we are lucky to have a wind-swept dump to go to every week. We are lucky to see any players wearing the blue and white stripes - and we are even luckier to have a future to hope for.

I personally will thank DK and his board for the rest of my days - that any children I have will have a club to go to, that we have a club to call our own and dream of what could be in years to come.

You want them to spend money they don't have on p[layers at 5k per week to get us up - well let's see the business sense behind that - what are you going to do when we finish 18th in the Championship? Reality is that we will still be at Withdean, no cash-flow coming in from seats that don't exist.

It's just maths - you fork out more money than you are able to bring in and you go bust. That has been the case for 11 f***ing years - and we are still here fighting. Who the hell do you think is responsible for that? Us? Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but no - it's not us - we help but we are not responsible. It is down the people who have bank-rolled a club that has had to face the toughest time in it's 100 year + history without any real chance of thanks.

And those who now want to hang those people out to dry should think long and hard.

because if by our actions we drive out the very people who have kept us alive then I would be disgusted to call myself a fan.

Democracy - the voice of the people - is all very well. But when the only voice heard is the voice of the idiot then we are all in trouble.

Please - keep the faith, keep 'supporting' and remember - there was a time when all of what we have today would have sounded like the pipe dream and ramblings of..........a lunatic.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting comments.

We were out last night clebrating a birthday of agood albion fan and chatting with a couple of people, an interesting point was made about next season.

If things go well, next year you could have LEWES, EASTBOURNE BORO and CRAWLEY all in the conference. Now wth the standard of conference football improving all teh time, suddenly Brighton will have competition from places that they would have hoped to attract fans from.

I have been to lewes and they are a very good club, standing on the terracing and pretty decent football,,,,the attraction of this compared to Withdean is there for all to see.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Probably the best post I've ever seen on these boards. I agree with you, but I can't really think of anything to add because the original post was so accurate!

(I'm talking about the original post obviously!)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well said, Diggers. :clap: :clap: :falmer:

Interesting comments.

We were out last night clebrating a birthday of agood albion fan and chatting with a couple of people, an interesting point was made about next season.

If things go well, next year you could have LEWES, EASTBOURNE BORO and CRAWLEY all in the conference. Now wth the standard of conference football improving all teh time, suddenly Brighton will have competition from places that they would have hoped to attract fans from.

I have been to lewes and they are a very good club, standing on the terracing and pretty decent football,,,,the attraction of this compared to Withdean is there for all to see.

I agree that Lewes is quite fun, but won't things have to change when/if they are promoted to the Blue Square Premier. Segregation? Price rises? No more beer on the terraces?

I don't think either Lewes or Eastbourne Boro would be able to attract enough fans to cover the rising costs of upper tier football, higher wages and so on, unless they were to attract further investors. Neither of them have shown any inclination of playing league football before and I presume their recent ascendency is down to the demise of Brighton. Will they be able to hold onto the fans if/when Brighton march up the table?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well said, Diggers. :clap: :clap: :falmer:

I agree that Lewes is quite fun, but won't things have to change when/if they are promoted to the Blue Square Premier. Segregation? Price rises? No more beer on the terraces?

I don't think either Lewes or Eastbourne Boro would be able to attract enough fans to cover the rising costs of upper tier football, higher wages and so on, unless they were to attract further investors. Neither of them have shown any inclination of playing league football before and I presume their recent ascendency is down to the demise of Brighton. Will they be able to hold onto the fans if/when Brighton march up the table?

maybe/maybe not, but they got 4000 at EB vs Lewes at Christmas whic was only 2000 odd less that out average!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Totally agree. Some of the treatment that DK has received of ;ate is nothing short of disgraceful. If he walked away from the club tomorrow, where would we be?

As he has said there hasnt been a lot of interest in investing in the club so without him we would be well and truly in the shit. People might say well he is always going to say that there is no interest in investing because he wants to hang on to power for as long as possible but I would not to take the chance of him leaving and finding no replacements.

DK saved this club and has pushed us massively beyond where many would have thought. He has fought tooth and nail for Falmer and has won, we have a young squad, a good manager and some experienced players. We have experienced two seasons in the second tier of english football which considering that we were staring the fifth in the face is amazing.

DK deserves nothing short of praise if not worship for what he has done. He should be allowed his little mistakes which we all make in all spheres of life. He should be the chairman who leads us to falmer and people should remember what he has done. It has been a pretty thankless task and not exactly an oppurtunity for him to make big money as some chairmen and investors are.

I think some people need to take a look in the mirror and realise how lucky we are to be where we are and with the chairman we have. I for one wont forget what DK has done and for some to put him in the same mould as that **** archer is criminal.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
spin

maybe/maybe not, but they got 4000 at EB vs Lewes at Christmas whic was only 2000 odd less that out average!

True, although I think that figure may be fairly misleading. Looking at the Boro website, they normally get about 600 for a home match and the 3,000 vs Lewes was a one off. I went to watch Lewes on Boxing Day. The attendance was something like 2,500 when a regular match generally attracts 500 people, give or take.

If anything it shows that there are people interested in football, but Brighton are not offering VFM at the moment. Up to Brighton to change that, I guess!

NB This is putting a positive spin on a potentially worrying trend! :D

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton

Its was 2,299 at Lewes on Boxing day
and 3,027 at Eastbourne on NYD.

Have to admit i would be more inclinded to miss an Albion away game if there was an attractive fixture at the dripping pan.
I missed Torquay away in favour of the Lewes game as needed to save a bit of cash just before christmas.
If we don't end up having a game on the 26th i think i'm going to go upto Welling for there game there.
Will deffinetly be missing Carlisle away this year tho as have already booked up some cheap train tickets to Bath for there game there as have only had a brief visit there when we played Cardiff away one year and looked a great place to visit so want to have a proper day there. Plus at a third for the cost of travel and half the duration time it does seem a better prospect.

Will never miss an Albion home game in favour of a Lewes game tho as if i really want to have a pint watching a game of football i can easily watch a game down the pub and would mean the albion wouldn't lose of financially.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I do think that what Digweeds trousers says is understood by most supporters. I do not see our present situation as all doom and gloom. We are in the third division of football playing in a most unattractive venue. The novelty of being back in Brighton has worn off and as others say there are other attractions including massive amounts of football on the TV. Taking all that 4000 core home support is not bad. If we were challenging for promotion my guess is that our home support would be nearer 6000.

What I am more worried about is the present financial climate and what it means for funding the new Albion staduim. Even the mighty Liverpool have run into trouble with their plans for a new Anfield although I was relieved to read in today's Times that by altering the design to reduce costs that the finances look better and they may do a deal with the banks very soon. I am sure that Martin Perry and Dick Knight are far more aware of these problems than I and if anyone can deliver the new Stadium it is those guys. However, if the new staduim were to hit more delay or have to be replanned then I really would fear for our long term future as a league club.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
After yesterdays performance - which I did happen to attend - I am not sure where my head is with the people who (absolutely have the right to) voice their opinion at certain elements within the club.

This is not about who is the best fan, who has been to the most games, who was at gillingham blah blah blah. It is about the very term we refer to our ourselves - 'supporters'.

Currently having attended a few home games, and several away games and reading what is posted on here - it seems that simple facts are being brushed to one side and ignored.

I have been watching the Albion since 1980 - that simply is the basis as to the relevant opinion I have as to what is happening at the club. In a previous job (not the one with the brush with HR!) have been involved in a number of deals that my previous company have worked on with DK's range of companies - through that I have met and talked to a number of people that have realsonably relevant opinions as to the intention, objectives and aim behind the current funders at the club.

I remember going to Plymouth in about 92, and watching raphael meade snatching a late equaliser - there were around 150 Albion fans at that game. I remember in 91 beating Barnsley 1-0 at the Goldstone in possible the dullest game I can remember - in front of less than 5200 fans. In fact the largest gate in that Play -Off final year in the league was just over 10,000 on a Wednesday night when we got utterly stuffed 4-0 by Wednesday.

The point I am trying to make?? This county, since the relegation from the Top Flight in 1983 has NOT been a hot bed of football - it is a provincial club with potential that has rarely enticed the population of Sussex and the fringes round it to come and watch our beloved team week in week out.

There is potential - huge catchment area (although London very close), one of the wealthiest populations in the country - which provides other interests not afforded by the majority of other population.

The simple fact is that without the funding, the backing of DK and co we have no club. Argue what you like but this is a business, and with no offices, no cash-flow and no future you have no business.

I honestly believe that we have forgotten how close we came to disappearing altogether. In fact I remember the 97 season, Hereford et al, that a number of the regulars were preparing themselves for the founding of a Phoenix club - that we expected to start again in provincial, semi-professional football.

Here we are, 11 years later, having played some great football, in a level we could hardly believe we were playing, and getting promotions and some great days out.

Things have moved on but expectation is dangerous bedfellow - now I hear some poeple saying that Dick Knight is in the same category as Archer - that is just appalling to hear.

On a business note, no-one would have invested in this club to keep it afloat at a time when we had Gillingham to look forward, Withdean as a highlight and now the promise of Falmer becoming reality.

I talk of relevant opinion - if there is anyone on here with a CV that shows they have taken a broke football club, played home games 80 miles away, got back to the city of it's birth and then built a modern stadium in the most heavily portected countryside outside the national parks in Derbyshire and Yorkshire, and delivered all this in 5-7 years - I stand corrected.

Like it or loath it the facts as I seem them are this - we are lucky to have a wind-swept dump to go to every week. We are lucky to see any players wearing the blue and white stripes - and we are even luckier to have a future to hope for.

I personally will thank DK and his board for the rest of my days - that any children I have will have a club to go to, that we have a club to call our own and dream of what could be in years to come.

You want them to spend money they don't have on p[layers at 5k per week to get us up - well let's see the business sense behind that - what are you going to do when we finish 18th in the Championship? Reality is that we will still be at Withdean, no cash-flow coming in from seats that don't exist.

It's just maths - you fork out more money than you are able to bring in and you go bust. That has been the case for 11 f***ing years - and we are still here fighting. Who the hell do you think is responsible for that? Us? Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but no - it's not us - we help but we are not responsible. It is down the people who have bank-rolled a club that has had to face the toughest time in it's 100 year + history without any real chance of thanks.

And those who now want to hang those people out to dry should think long and hard.

because if by our actions we drive out the very people who have kept us alive then I would be disgusted to call myself a fan.

Democracy - the voice of the people - is all very well. But when the only voice heard is the voice of the idiot then we are all in trouble.

Please - keep the faith, keep 'supporting' and remember - there was a time when all of what we have today would have sounded like the pipe dream and ramblings of..........a lunatic.
You have made you're own personal thoughts which is respected.The thing is im not grateful like you are as i want ambition and funds to move the club forward.Im also not someone who keeps looking back to the grim old days like yourself and being grateful to have a club.Point is we have been a laughing stock for far to many years now.

Also if anyone has saved the club its the fans???the fans who pay £25 a game year after year to sit in a sess pit,time to move on pal and show some ambition as this past crap just keeps rolling on:yawn:

While this club struggles dozens of clubs overtake us and build new stadia,you are not ambitious obviously but most of us are.If the board bankrolled us i would worship them,but thats not the case as its all bank loans etc.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Digweeds Trousers
It's wonderful to read an intelligent post and thread. The idiots, fantasists and naiive optimists don't understand that big time investors won't get involved with the Albion until the community stad is as good as built.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Well said D.T

2.1 million posts and now 38 are worth reading.....:bowdown:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
On the plus side, at least those who wish a change to or otherwise criticise the Board do seem to do so in a positive manner (ie. bigger investor = more available cash = better team and better ground etc). At least they still retain their pasion for the club, which many others in the BHA catchement area don't. This passion (by supporters including the current Board) is what got us through the bad times.

As the only club for a radius of c50 miles (?) there are alot of potential supporters out there who either don't know, don't care, prefer to watch somebody else, don't support anyone other than watching football on the TV. How to attract them remains a compelling issue.

Whether the critics of the Board are realistic in their criticism or do so offensively is another issue. For my part some of the criticism may be justified (no-ne is perfect, least of all directors of a football club, but I am too far away and detached to know either way), and some of it is probably offensive to those targetted (eg. the Chairman's apparent irritation with some on the phone-in last week). Alot seems to be wishful thinking, and blind hope/optimism (which is what supporting a football club is and has always been about).

The major uniting factor behind all the squabbles and arguments is that everyone who read or posts on here (with the exception of the sad Palarse and deluded Leeds fans) want a successful, winning team playing in a proper football stadium, which means going forward as well as being thankful that there is still something to take forward.

(however we do need to get a move on because the costs of building a stadium are ever upwards at the moment and the longer it drags on.... even Liverpool should have started 12 months ago and they are finding problems with the cash.)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

Post of the day :clap: Well done, DT :albion2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
NSC GOLD surely.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'm not someone who keeps looking back to the grim old days like yourself and being grateful to have a club. Point is we have been a laughing stock for far to many years now.

I cannot believe people write stuff like that :shootself

Sorry, Sir Albion, but you DO need to take a reality check. You should be grateful you still have a club to support. We are all extremely lucky to still have a football team to follow, despite the astronomical odds that have been stacked against us for so long. With a little more patience, we will once again have a successful club. But we have to SUPPORT this re-building work in the meantime.

People do NOT laugh at this club - they may well think the ground is a ramshackle pile of old dog shit, but they look at the Albion and go: "my God, those fans [and that includes DK] fought and saved that club, good on 'em."

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I cannot believe people write stuff like that :shootself

Sorry, Sir Albion, but you DO need to take a reality check. You should be grateful you still have a club to support. We are all extremely lucky to still have a football team to follow, despite the astronomical odds that have been stacked against us for so long. With a little more patience, we will once again have a successful club. But we have to SUPPORT this re-building work in the meantime.

People do NOT laugh at this club - they may well think the ground is a ramshackle pile of old dog shit, but they look at the Albion and go: "my God, those fans [and that includes DK] fought and saved that club, good on 'em."

2nd best post of the day. Sir Albion, you mate, are a bit British Telecom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here