Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I need words of guidance from a policeman.

I am fed up sitting in traffic queues looking across at BMW drivers or young mums talking away on their mobiles without a twinge of conscience.

I am determined to tap on their window and deliver a classic rebuke.

BUT, tempting as it is, I don't want to pretend to be an off duty police officer as this would be illegal.

So, what dressing down could I give that will stop them in their tracks?

Sussex Police have something called "Operation Crackdown" which lets you report such things on line at Operation Crackdown - I have no idea how effective it is but it would probably make you feel better.

....However noting where you are located suggests that, unless Hertfordshire Police have something similar you will just have to get very cross!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I know exactly where this thread starters coming from. But really there's nothing you can do except get your own blood pressure up and hope you and you're family are never harmed by such inconsideration. As someone said already, try and chill and get on with your own life. Even if you were involved in their accident they'd deny it / give a massive amount of abuse back. Tis the way of the world my friend.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tuning the radio is just as distracting but isn't an offence, explain that one to me?

so you are trying to say that pressing a button on your radio, taking your hand from the steering wheel for about 2 seconds (or if longer able to return it in an instance) is the same as having your hand occupied indefinately while maintaining a conversation?

bollocks. get a f***ing hands free kit or don't answer the phone.

besides, being distracted by tuning your radio *is* an offence, driving without due care and attention.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I always think the same thing when I see them, "the tw*t must be too poor to afford a hands free kit"

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I had an incident a couple months back where a driver in an Astra van (yes, white) was on his phone behind me. I stopped at a roundabout and he actually crept forward and nudged me because he wasn't concentrating. I was FURIOUS! I took his registration and phoned the rozzers.

They gave me this site:

http://www.operationcrackdown.org/

You can report anti social driving anonamously. Although i'm not convinced anything happens after that...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have been watching to much Top Gear. I find myself mouthing "cock "at any BMW driver, regardless whether they are on the phone or not. :wanker:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The difference is it's not illegal to tune your radio.

Not strictly true Bhaexpress. It is about whether or not you have your concentration alerted from the job in hand. Tricky one this.

Drivers who smoke at the wheel could face prosecution under changes to the Highway Code.

Lighting-up at the wheel has been added to the list of "distractions" which police and lawyers can cite in court when seeking a conviction for a traffic offence.

It joins eating and drinking, "inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio", "arguing with your passengers or other road users", trying to read maps, and - even playing loud music - most, if not all, of which have featured in successful prosecutions.

High-profile cases have involved motorists eating apples, Kit-Kats and sausage rolls.

Up to one in four UK adults smoke, which could mean more than eight million of the nation's 33 million motorists are at risk.

Brian James, road traffic chairman of the Magistrates Association, said that although the code carries no legal force, failure to observe its advice could be used as evidence that an offence had been committed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have noticed recently more and more people driving with big headphones on listening to ipod/mps players. I hope its their family members who die because a fire engine or ambulance gets held up because they dont here it coming. At least if people have music loud in their car there is still a good chance of hearing sirens.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I am fed up sitting in traffic queues looking across at BMW drivers or young mums talking away on their mobiles without a twinge of conscience.

I am determined to tap on their window and deliver a classic rebuke.

BUT, tempting as it is, I don't want to pretend to be an off duty police officer as this would be illegal.

So, what dressing down could I give that will stop them in their tracks?

how about you get yourself a life and stop being such a jobsworth.:thumbsup:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Its a shame there isn't a place to report Dog Walkers who let their dog shit on the floor and not clean it up. I have seen three people let their dogs do this in the last week and it really winds me up.

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
Another annoying mobile phone trend is drivers who must answer an incoming call on their mobile immediately so they stop wherever the car might be instead of trying to pull over sensibly in a spot meant for cars.

You see the selfish fucktards who are obviously so in demand and so important they can't possibly wait until taking the call or let it go to voicemail and return the call when able to do so. They think nothing of stopping their car on a bend, on the markings at schools or pedestrian crossings or blocking driveways. How often do you see them with the car's arse sticking out into traffic and no indicator or hazards on chatting away?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have been watching to much Top Gear. I find myself mouthing "cock "at any BMW driver, regardless whether they are on the phone or not. :wanker:

I thought that is now Audi drivers

wag chaser

Feb 18, 2009
All mobile phone users should be banned.
Only last week after a very heavy drinking session i drove
home from the pub making sure to take the backroads when
out of nowhere coming towards me is a woman in a 4x4 talking
on her phone.
It was only my quick thinking and lightning reactions that avoided
a head on crash.
Just how irresponsible can you get!!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I have the same resent towards ppl uding mobile whilst driving, its pure stupidity, it kills and ruins innocents lives.

I was up in Oldham a month back, i saw a young lad driving a almost brand New Peugeot and talking on his cell, i clocked the Number plate, rung greater manchester police and told them what i saw, they said they couldnt prosecute on my eye-witness account, but they'd send out a patrol car to keep an eye out. I got a phone call back from a police sargeant saying he'd given the owner of the car a telephone call, it happened to be the mother of the lad who was driving, needless to say the mother was pissed at her son and he was gonna get a good ticking off when he got in and prob not be able to use the car again.

My intention was not to get the lad prosecuted (i hate to grass, but this offence is very serious in my book), rather knock some sense into him as he is driving a potential death trap with only partial concentration.

Good result all round

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here