Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I nearly punched a NIMBY last night

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
...but thankfully his girlfriend came over and calmed down our 'discussion' before the red mist completely overwhelmed me.

Was at a charity do up in London and a bloke I was introduced to announced that he lived in Brighton. "Yay," I thought, "nice to meet another Brighton lad up here in the smoke. Wonder whether he supports the lads?" He said he did, but that he didn't go to Albion games cos he could never buy a ticket on the day. So I put him straight there.

He then proceeded to launch into a scathing attack on Falmer, slagging it off for being planned on an AONB, a precedent, he said, that would transform the whole country into an urban sprawl, one of the most dangerous planning applications ever mounted. He then said that the Brighton Station plot was a far better idea. ???

No matter how many times I put him right, he'd simply go, "I know what you're saying, but..." and then stick to his f***ing 'Falmer will destroy Britain' line.

Made me mad. My mates were about to step in, until his missus came over to find out what we were talking about.

FFS - why are these people falling for all the anti-Falmer rhetoric, and in his case, making up so much shit?!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
ITS A FCUKIN FIELD NEXT TO A DUEL CARRIAGE WAY ON A UNI CAMPUS FOR FCUK SAKE!

Now if we were trying to build in the snowdonian national park or up in the lake district they might have an argument for AONB but falmer dont make me laugh.

you should have wrapped a chair round his head and said dont you dare ever go to a game there you cretin!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I fail to see why so many people thought Brighton Station was a perfect site for the football stadium. Yes, the transport links are good but that is all! It would be carnage having 12,000 or more descending on Brighton in August/September or indeed any other month of the calendar. It is perfect for housing!

I can't imagine how the planned stadium would set a precedent for urban sprawl. It is one, isolated site earmarked for development. Would the same not apply for Sheepcote or the other sites? Perhaps we should just not build it and find something else to do at weekends.....As Moon23 suggested, perhaps we should read a book or listen to Mozart. :jester:

One thing that always amazes me is the amount of Nimby's in Woodingdean - a prime example of Urban Sprawl taking over the downs!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
byf said:
ITS A FCUKIN FIELD NEXT TO A DUEL CARRIAGE WAY ON A UNI CAMPUS FOR FCUK SAKE!

Now if we were trying to build in the snowdonian national park or up in the lake district they might have an argument for AONB but falmer dont make me laugh.

you should have wrapped a chair round his head and said dont you dare ever go to a game there you cretin!

That's exactly what I kept telling the cretin, but a brick wall had gone up. He would not be moved. Aaaggghh! :angry:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I must admit If I lived in falmer and wasnt a footie fan,I wouldnt want it..But thats all there argument is. I dont really want it cos it wont look nice. As for AONB and traffic its all little bits and pieces when really they are clutching at straw!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm slightly dreading this myself on Thursday. I am going to the Sussex CCC end-of-season dinner, and I know there are certain people associated with the club who are going to be there (no names - don't ask) who are anti-Falmer.

:(

Having said that, thankfully, there are plenty who are pro-Falmer.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I bet he f***ing eats humous and hugs trees.

It will destroy britain. f*** Sake. I feel like hiring a 4x4 and driving it up and down his f***ing road all night the ****.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
eastlondonseagull said:
He then said that the Brighton Station plot was a far better idea. ???

How true he is,

It would be so easy and convienet to build the stadium right next to the station (im suprised no one thought of this before) oh, except theres buildings there already,

Nerver mind why dont we demolish brighton station and stick the stadium on top, then see the nimbys moan when the people using trains into brighton are forced to use their cars :lolol:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
The people who are opposing it on the grounds of AONB and Traffic must lead very sad lives.

1. They must never have left sussex and seen real mountains,peaks and lakes this country has.

2. It will delay their shopping trip to MFI by 10 minutes!

Im a bit behind times up here in manchester...excuse my ignorance but had the club proposed a car ban in the area of falmer if the ground goes ahead and proposed a decent park and ride system like withdean has?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
byf said:
The people who are opposing it on the grounds of AONB and Traffic must lead very sad lives.

1. They must never have left sussex and seen real mountains,peaks and lakes this country has.

2. It will delay their shopping trip to MFI by 10 minutes!

Im a bit behind times up here in manchester...excuse my ignorance but had the club proposed a car ban in the area of falmer if the ground goes ahead and proposed a decent park and ride system like withdean has?
Limited car parking at University of Sussex and Falmer high School - both a five minute walk to the stadium. No parking in nearby environments such Falmer (they'll nick your hubcaps) or Coldean or Moulsecoomb (football fans will drive the area downmarket).

Park & Ride will operate from Mill Road, Mithras House and Brighton Racecourse.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Where was he from if he aint Brightonian or Hoveonian he must be shot.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
hove born&bred said:
Where was he from if he aint Brightonian or Hoveonian he must be shot.

Dunno. He just said he lived in Brighton. Kind of well spoken, wearing shirt and trousers. Grrr...makes me angry just thinking about the conversation :angry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
eastlondonseagull said:
That's exactly what I kept telling the cretin, but a brick wall had gone up. He would not be moved. Aaaggghh! :angry:

Did you also tell him that we would have to construct it on the roof of Sainsbury's if we built it at Brighton Station?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Large One said:
No parking in Coldean or Moulsecoomb (football fans will drive the area downmarket).

Run that by me again....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Seems to me that said muppet is but an armchair fan, a breed who's opinion are not worth jack shit IMHO. However, no matter how much provocation there was smacking this wanker would only reinforce his already ignorant notion that all football fans are thugs.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I think Falmer is ace, we can all park our cars outside the local village pub and get *EDIT SPELLING* "trollied" in Falmer! Piss in the pond and generally act like football fans!

:lolol: :jester:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here