Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I love ashley barnes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has always been a fighter & tenacious, and I watched all his games in the Wthdean era.
Even as a raw youngster, not intimidated by bruising & experienced massive centre-halves. (better than Woods or Sandaza)

Also, El Abd's man-marking of the international & immensely skilled Ben Arfa was amazing.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
He is the new gary hart. Enthusiastic young striker turned into committed, take's no shit, die for the cause wide player. Mr burns once started a thread saying he wasn't strong enough. Well that's bollocks. He's not the quickest, or the most skilled, but he's tough. Great display today and he played those 4 minutes of injury time like a pro.

I think he's been very good against Newcastle and Peterborough, but I don't think we can class him as a striker anymore, as Poyet clearly will not play him there.

I still think he's by far the worst first team regular we have. I can see after today why you call him tough, but come on really?? Thats the problem with NSC, people kiss players arses after a good result, then the same person thinks the same players a **** after a few bad results.

He's definately come on this season, but no where near enough in my opinion, and the fact he hasn't been offered a new contract with days left of the transfer window doesn't seem to offer much hope for his long term future.

But lets hope he proves us all wrong.....

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Thats the problem with NSC, people kiss players arses after a good result, then the same person thinks the same players a **** after a few bad results.

No. The problem with NSC is people who are relentlessly negative (even after a great win), who get on the backs of our players and won't leave it and who seem to take a perverse pleasure in being disagreed with by just about everyone else.

The contract thing - I don't even know when his is up but Gus tends not to do contracts mid-season. Remember last year?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
AB has produced some excellent performances of late of that there is no doubt.

My only concern is that he does not become identified as a player who becomes involved in the cynical or petulant foul.

He is much more use to us 'ON' the pitch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. The problem with NSC is people who are relentlessly negative (even after a great win), who get on the backs of our players and won't leave it and who seem to take a perverse pleasure in being disagreed with by just about everyone else.

The contract thing - I don't even know when his is up but Gus tends not to do contracts mid-season. Remember last year?

Lots of humble-pie being eaten by many of us with regards Sparrow, Barnes & Brezovan. Gus knows best.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
We wouldn't have been playing Newcastle today had Barnes not equalised against Wrexham.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Mmmmm, I don't think in Barnes case that just about everyone else disagrees. He's is Brighton's answer to marmite.

And Gus does do contracts mid season. El Abd, Dunk, Bridcutt, to name but a few. Murray would have signed midseason had he have agreed to a new one as well.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Lots of humble-pie being eaten by many of us with regards Sparrow, Barnes & Brezovan. Gus knows best.
Personally I have never doubt Sparrow or Brezovan, although I did think it was in everyones interests for Brezovan to move on to another club, as it didn't seem like it was going to happen for him here, and if it wasn't for Ankergrens poor form, big Pete would probably have been history in the summer, but as it stands, and if things continue as they are, I can see Casper being released, and Brezovan getting a new deal, with another senior keeper coming in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Barnes!!!... now that's taking it a bit too far :p:p
I accept that he is limited with the ball at his feet, but his runs off the ball are fantastic. One day a decent side will come in for him and you will scratch your head wondering why!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. Privately I never thought Brez was up to it (though I try not to criticise players in public). Shows what I know.

Same here, based on watching hi, since he joined the club, apart from a purple patch at the very beginning.

The Steve Harper spell & his advice, or something, seemed to have really turned Brezovan's game around.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally I have never doubt Sparrow or Brezovan, although I did think it was in everyones interests for Brezovan to move on to another club, as it didn't seem like it was going to happen for him here, and if it wasn't for Ankergrens poor form, big Pete would probably have been history in the summer, but as it stands, and if things continue as they are, I can see Casper being released, and Brezovan getting a new deal, with another senior keeper coming in.

Agreed. Ankergren cannot be a spring-chicken any more, unless he now turns his game around.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I noticed today when newcastle were attacking down the left (our right) greer moved across to support calderon, dunk and el abd moved to the centre, and barnes dropped back into left back.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Agree Barnes has looked good but is he going to keep Noone or Lua Lua out the side?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Don't quite share the sentiments of the OP and comparisons to Gary Hart, but boy has Ashley proved me wrong in the past two games. His all around play, especially defensive, has been nothing short of outstanding. Take a bow Ash.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Barnes has always been a good player right through from withdean to amex. His defensive skills and all round play are superb. He defended brilliantly today.i

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Agreed we should no longer look at Barnes as an out and out striker he is more than that and his performance today was great the only thing is that we do need to get the midfielders scoring more to make the most of his "new" contribution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here