Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I liked Mike Riley

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Ok, I'm probably in a minority of one, but I thought Mike Riley had a decent game.

He got the two big decisions right. Fraser definitely trod deliberately on the keeper... and the penalty couldn't be questioned.

Once or twice he played advantages that didn't work out for us, but it's hardly his fault that we messed the moves up straight away.

Most importantly, compared to the usual whistle happy muppets we endure, he tried to let the game flow... there hardly seemed to be any stoppages in the first half.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair I think the ref distracted us from the fact that we were in fact complete shit Saturday and rarely troubled their keeper.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
trueblue said:
Fraser definitely trod deliberately on the keeper...

Twaddle. Even the Brizzle 'keeper said it wasn't deliberate and didn't deserve a red.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
trueblue said:
Ok, I'm probably in a minority of one, but I thought Mike Riley had a decent game.

He got the two big decisions right. Fraser definitely trod deliberately on the keeper... and the penalty couldn't be questioned.

Once or twice he played advantages that didn't work out for us, but it's hardly his fault that we messed the moves up straight away.

Most importantly, compared to the usual whistle happy muppets we endure, he tried to let the game flow... there hardly seemed to be any stoppages in the first half.

I think you are absolutely spot on ......

..... you are in a minority of one! Riley was god-awful.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
trueblue said:

He was so right about the sending off that the Bristol City keeper even said it should have been yellow. You dont get many opistion players saying that unless it is blatantly obvious.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did City play in red? if so he was quite right to give them all the 50/50 decisions, you have to remember this man normally referees United, Liverpool and Arsenal and according to Mourhino all refs hate Chelsea so the other three get the decisions because they are the big boys. Giving the team in red all the decisions comes naturally :jester:

If they didn't play in red I'll have to rethink the above.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
BIRCHYBOY27 said:
No way a sending off but defo a pen.

I'm not sure ANYONE is arguing with the penalty.

The outcry at the time was merely down to the anger already being felt in the stands. It was a blatant penalty.

But there was plenty the guy did get wrong, and the sending off was the pivotal moment of the second half, and he got it badly WRONG!

BIRCHYBOY27

Nov 25, 2005
brighton
Gritt23 said:
I'm not sure ANYONE is arguing with the penalty.

The outcry at the time was merely down to the anger already being felt in the stands. It was a blatant penalty.

But there was plenty the guy did get wrong, and the sending off was the pivotal moment of the second half, and he got it badly WRONG!

I never saw what happened with Tommy but say it on Championship can we not appeal?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Re: Re: I liked Mike Riley

Da Man Clay said:
He was so right about the sending off that the Bristol City keeper even said it should have been yellow. You dont get many opistion players saying that unless it is blatantly obvious.

But the keeper was face down... so he wouldn't have seen that Fraser deliberately left his foot in when he could have just missed him completely.

Oh well... I guess everyone will be happy again next match when we get one of the usual refs who blows for every 50-50 tackle.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Probably the funniest decision he made was in our favour.

Remember the "backpass" he awarded when some Brizzle defender completely scuffed his clearance. Laughable!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Re: Re: Re: I liked Mike Riley

trueblue said:
But the keeper was face down... so he wouldn't have seen that Fraser deliberately left his foot in when he could have just missed him completely.

Oh well... I guess everyone will be happy again next match when we get one of the usual refs who blows for every 50-50 tackle.

I'm pretty certain that despite being face down the keeper knows how much impact there was, so can more than likely tell from that if it was deliberate or if it was accidental.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Re: Re: Re: Re: I liked Mike Riley

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo said:
I'm pretty certain that despite being face down the keeper knows how much impact there was, so can more than likely tell from that if it was deliberate or if it was accidental.

Hmmmm... the amount of impact's not really the point if it's deliberate violent conduct.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only problem with the keeper was that after Fraser was sent off he turned to applaud the Bristol fans with a thumbs up motion, as if he had achieved his aim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here