Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I liked Mike Riley

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
I thought that the upper age limit to be a Football League referee was forty-eight. Riley looked about seventy.
Riley's perfomance was one-eyed to say the least. All referees have off-days. But when was the last time that a referee had an absolute shocker in our favour?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
i couldnt see the s/o at the time as was in family stand, after seeing on news it didnt seem to be a red card offence, the penalty was definate though

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
So 24 fouls given against us and 11 against Bristol is letting the game flow? (Stats from Sporting Life.)

That is roughly a free kick every 3 minutes!!!!!

I thought he was inconsistent, letting Bristol play an advantage but then giving them the free kick if it broke down, but when that happened to us he played on when we had lost the ball.

The decision to penalise Gatting for backing in to a defender was a joke, he had his arms round Gatting and it should have been our free kick. Also when Gatting challenged the keeper he never touched him but Riley blew for fouls. Also Riley appeared to respond to Bristol appeal for fouls, ie the Hammond tackle that clearly won the ball. He didn't even realise he was being conned towards the end when a Bristol player was down and out and rolling in agony to suddenly jump up and sprint down the wing from the resulting free kick.

Yes we were poor on Saturday, but when everything goes against you it makes it more difficult.

:angry: :censored: :angry:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
what about the drop ball decision too. The Bristol City player clearly tackled the player from behind, Cox (?) went down straight away obviously in pain and yet Riley gave a drop ball. Totally bizarre.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't even there but it's obvious to me that he was shit :jester:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Mr Blobby said:
S

The decision to penalise Gatting for backing in to a defender was a joke, he had his arms round Gatting and it should have been our free kick. Also when Gatting challenged the keeper he never touched him but Riley blew for fouls. Also Riley appeared to respond to Bristol appeal for fouls, ie the Hammond tackle that clearly won the ball. He didn't even realise he was being conned towards the end when a Bristol player was down and out and rolling in agony to suddenly jump up and sprint down the wing from the resulting free kick.

I was annoyed at the Gatting decision as well. There was no way he was backing into the defender.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yorkie said:
I was annoyed at the Gatting decision as well. There was no way he was backing into the defender.

I agree with that one, but it's the only real stinker I remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here