Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I knew Withdean was draining our resources but...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
sir albion said:
Its facts,the board never put there hands in zeeeeeee pockets.They heap all the so called praise,but the truth is the sale of players which may mount to 5 million has helped lots.

Reckon we are a fair few million in debt,so basicly the board spend sweet fa.

Game over:clap:

okay BERK shire. I've fallen for it - yes it has helped lots but is far less than the total outlay from directors and investors. Look at the accounts and come back when you can create a coherent argument.

There's a good lad :wave:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
ROSM said:
okay BERK shire. I've fallen for it - yes it has helped lots but is far less than the total outlay from directors and investors. Look at the accounts and come back when you can create a coherent argument.

There's a good lad :wave:
Do you actually think our board have money????????
The player sales have saved us big big time,the rest is a large debt which is mounting thick anf fast.I believe dick tight has put 1.5 million into the club in 10 years.

How much have we spent on players in the last 10 years?
Yes about 500k,yes a massive 50k a year.Dick has done o.k but you can't run a club on a shoe string end of.The marketing and structure of the club needs a total overhall:D

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Directors have put 7.5 million into the club in the way of loans.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ROSM said:
A conversation was had with Leroy concerning the time he was pipped to the albion job by Mark Mcghee (not necessarily the wrong decision I hasten to add).

One of the reasons he didn't get the job according to Leroy was because MM had good contacts in the game. He laughed as he said this and explained that our recent transfer activity didn't bear that out.

I often find that people like Barry Lloyd can cut through the guff and establish whether leroy is just bitter or whether he is correct on this.

apologies for taking this thread off topic.

I would say the 1.5 million received from Gordon Strachan for Virgo and the McShane loan from Ferguson would make that right.
Until mid winter last year there weren't many moans about the transfers and loans.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yorkie said:
Thats my point,its not there own pockets.This has to happen i agree,but it makes you wonder what may be around the corner???

Christ we lost the goldstone because we was about 8-10 million in debt and had a crap chairman.

It may happen again at this rate:ohmy:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
sir albion said:
Thats my point,its not there own pockets.This has to happen i agree,but it makes you wonder what may be around the corner???

Christ we lost the goldstone because we was about 8-10 million in debt and had a crap chairman.

It may happen again at this rate:ohmy:

So the board should be chastised for not 'giving' money they don't have?

If only someone rich had taken us over, they must have been queuing round the block and we got stuck with these pretenders. As long as they hand it over to the Russian Consortium who are supposedly keen on buying the club, I will be delighted. :jester:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Stinky Kat said:
What happens when they ask for their money back?

kitch_sinkmain.jpg

Of course, assuming we were to get a YES to the planning application, I suspect they will be paid back gradually.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am grateful for Insider for aswering my question but am not sure that I would agree with it. I assume that he was told the answer by somebody who knows but things do not add up.

I was asking, although I didnt make it perfectly clear about the break even figure for attendances to cover our costs for staging the game etc. As has been explained by others on here the overall running costs of the club i.e wages. office/ shop rent light heat etc are all costs due to the club over which supporters have no control whatsoever, although I accept that they have to be met.

If 9,000 attending homes games still wouldnt pay the costs of staging the match why did we spend more money on increasing the possible attendance beyond our normal 7,000, why spend money improving the stadium facilities like hospitality and changing rooms etc.

I was hoping that he would have said if we had 8,000 every game we would cover the costs of Withdean. Had that been so we could then have done something about it but as it stands how can we and why? With these statements a No for Falmer would spell then end.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am not sure what is the right answer here.

A while ago I was advised by an Albion person the break-even figure was 3,700 and this was before the East Stand and the new away end.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
9000 people at each match (with 2 adults / 1 child) would produce approximately £3.7m a season.

+ transfer income, + shop sales, + commercial income...

Does that really add up to a net loss ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Beach Hut said:
I am not sure what is the right answer here.

A while ago I was advised by an Albion person the break-even figure was 3,700 and this was before the East Stand and the new away end.

I think that it has not been specified as to which break even figure. I am sure that we can break even for a matchday. I.e. Cover our costs. The wages etc. have to be paid whether we play a match or not.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Doing some maths on this one.

8000 (rough capacity now) @ £20 a ticket
= £160,000.

23 home games @ £160000 a game
= £3,680,000

Broken down into weekly income
£3,680,000 / 52
= £70,769

That doesn't cover merchandising and catering rights sales, Media rights, advertising and promotions.

So our outgoings are more than £70,000 a week.
Thats players and staff wages and associated costs.
Costs of the ground rent, policing upkeep of assets.

I would hope week to week we have enough business accumen to balance the books if we got 8000 a game. Trouble is we don 't and we should really accept that DK and the rest do subsidise the club and keep us afloat so hats off.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Yorkie said:
I would say the 1.5 million received from Gordon Strachan for Virgo and the McShane loan from Ferguson would make that right.
Until mid winter last year there weren't many moans about the transfers and loans.

McShane's an interesting one. We owe Fergie big time for that and not just for the initial pointing him in our direction either. yes you are right about Virgo. But there were clearly moans in the pre season before this about lack of signings. headed off by Turienzo, Carole and Frutos.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Yorkie said:

I think this may be incorrect - I think it is in excess of £7.5m most of which (about £6m) is in the form of shareholding rather than loans.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Stinky Kat said:
What happens when they ask for their money back?

No more BHA...

accounts to 30 June 2005...(18 months old)....show a balance sheet deficit of over 6.5 million...the year disclosed a trading loss in excess of 1 million and it can only have got worse

Without the continued support of the Directors shareholders and other backers there would be ...no Brighton & Hove Albion

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here