Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I knew Withdean was draining our resources but...

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
How many of the 92 Football League clubs don't break even?

I bet it's two-thirds, or more....

Owning a football club is a vanity enterprise, or an amateur pursuit, not a sound business proposition.

You can get a better ROI turning in recyclable bottles for the nickel deposit.

Which is why I light a candle for the health of Dick Knight every Sunday. There isn't exactly a queue of volunteers to pour money down a rathole.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Titanic said:
Or put that another way £2,000,000 a season :eek: :eek: :eek:
Lets not heap the praise to much on the board,the club has made millions on the sale of players??? and also lets not forget we are still a fair few million in debt.

The board we have are pretty pottless:clap:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
sir albion said:
Lets not heap the praise to much on the board,the club has made millions on the sale of players??? and also lets not forget we are still a fair few million in debt.

The board we have are pretty pottless:clap:

What bizarre logic.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rangdo said:
What bizarre logic.
Berkshire Seagull as he used to be known as always had bizarre logic.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yorkie said:
Berkshire Seagull as he used to be known as always had bizarre logic.

Ahh right. That explains a lot. I don't tend to keep up with the name changes. I think it should be BANNED.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Barrel of Fun said:
:clap: to the board for keeping us afloat and giving us 3 years of Championship football. Maybe now some people will give the board a bit of a break before castigating them after every defeat. It is not easy propping up a business with a minimal amount of assets.

your right but i dont think it will change some people opinions of the board.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think people were well aware of our financial situation and that the board were propping the club up.

Not that we would ever know, but I wonder how much individually the directors and non directors have put in to keep the club afloat.

I suppose this blows the anti STH argument out of the water, as it looks from the point that if people dont renew that the directors have to put in cash flow....which must not be a bottomless pit.

I thought that when Ecovert were removed, this meant that actually the day to day costs at the time could have been covered by attendances and STH's.....obviously not. Which still makes it so strange that the club didnt do its damnness to buy players that would keep us in the Championship last year

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dave the Gaffer said:
I thought that when Ecovert were removed, this meant that actually the day to day costs at the time could have been covered by attendances and STH's.....obviously not. Which still makes it so strange that the club didnt do its damnness to buy players that would keep us in the Championship last year

I think it is very clear that we would have needed an awful lot of money to spend to stay in the Championship, perhaps money that wasn't there. If you think that we have needed to strengthen in almost every department to survive in League One, it becomes crystal clear. Plus, were those players available. GNW helped, but he wasn't available until late on in the season.

Presumably, we cover the cost of hosting a match, but to cover all costs we would need 10k or more to each game. Afterall, we have to pay the wages etc. whether we stage a match or not.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
mona said:
Plenty of NSC's finest were far from aware of this.

Until fairly recently the club were producing accounts that suggested the losses were in the region of £0.5m a year at Withdean... plus Falmer costs.

Although dire, that sounded sustainable.

The revelation from Insider that we would still lose money even if the ground were full (so the losses are closer to £2m a year) are on a different scale than many would have suspected.

I don't know if this includes any transfer revenues, but it's hardly surprising we have to accept any half-decent offers that come our way.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Titanic said:

The revelation from Insider that we would still lose money even if the ground were full (so the losses are closer to £2m a year) are on a different scale than many would have suspected.

I don't know if this includes any transfer revenues, but it's hardly surprising we have to accept any half-decent offers that come our way.

Has Insider included the money the club make from selling shirts, merchandise, lucky number tickets, and all other fund-raising ideas...?...Additional revenue from Cup games...?
Does the "outgoings " in costs include Directors expenses..? Is the money the Board invested a Loan (? with interest...like our previous "saviour" Stanley ) or a donation...?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
cjd said:
Has Insider included the money the club make from selling shirts, merchandise, lucky number tickets, and all other fund-raising ideas...?...Additional revenue from Cup games...?
Does the "outgoings " in costs include Directors expenses..? Is the money the Board invested a Loan (? with interest...like our previous "saviour" Stanley ) or a donation...?

Dunno, ask him if you are that bothered. You sound like you have an agenda... rather than supportive concern ?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
what we have here are two separate issues:

1) the costs of running the albion on a matchday

2) the costs of running the football club

For 1), despite removing ecovert from the equation, it is still more costly to put on a game at withdean that we gain in income. The lower crowds just increase that loss

Therefore the club in order to achieve 2) need to gain income in other areas, sponsorship, merchandise, lotteries and other funding and ultimately share and loan capital.

The amount given by directors (to answer Dave's point) will be available in the annual accounts as both share and loan capital will be listed.

As for the warped logic that we'd be better off at Gillingham. Whilst we may have had a lower cost at priestfield, the lack of being in sussex led to a sever reduction in opprtunities to cover the total running costs (lack of sponsors and merchandise sales).

Also the point by the gent with 8 posts about falmer being dead in the water - actually the new stadium increases the matchday income with greater opportunity for sponsorship, corporate tickets, family deals etc - and we wont be renting it from the council.

But it is clear that those who dont attend matches because they get a bit cold or dont like those who sit next to them etc are hampering the club.

Finally to answer Dave's last point about why the club didn't do it's best to stay in the championship - perhaps when he is with Barry Lloyd on satdi he can ask him about McGhee's activities during the winder 2006 transfer window. I know that Leroy Rosenior had some very damming things to say about that when we played brentford earlier this season.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
cjd said:

good points - I hope my recent post has answered many of your points from my knowledge of the accounts.

I dont believe there are any directors expenses being taken and the vast majority of the money is in the form of shareholding rather than loands. I think the exceptions are some of the bloom money and the loan from Adenstar (half million) for first option on the building contract.

The key with loans is the interest and payback terms. I think the accounts will show these - I dont believe from my limited look that they have interest being charged.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Titanic said:
Dunno, ask him if you are that bothered. You sound like you have an agenda... rather than supportive concern ?

Sorry if you feel my post has an "agenda".........in some ways I can understand you reading that into it......but my over-riding reason is as a "supportive concern". There is, and has been, situations at the Club that I disagree with. However, my concern is indeed rather selfish.....I want this club to succeed.....not really that bothered who is at the helm, so long as success is the result. I merely wish to question some of the information coming from the club. I can only comment or have thoughts about what I perceive to be the situation from the information that is put before me.
I don,t wish to ask Insider....with all fairness to him, he can only give out a certain amount of information. What I do find, is that when i raise questions on this board, quite frequently, somebody with a good knowledge of the Albion will give me some more insight to the workings of this club. ROSM, is a prime example of this, and I read with great interest his replies.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
ROSM said:
Finally to answer Dave's last point about why the club didn't do it's best to stay in the championship - perhaps when he is with Barry Lloyd on satdi he can ask him about McGhee's activities during the winder 2006 transfer window. I know that Leroy Rosenior had some very damming things to say about that when we played brentford earlier this season.

Care to explain what this means?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Dick Tight eh?

I think this puts into perspective what a fantastic job the board are doing just keeping us afloat.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Seagull73 said:
Care to explain what this means?

A conversation was had with Leroy concerning the time he was pipped to the albion job by Mark Mcghee (not necessarily the wrong decision I hasten to add).

One of the reasons he didn't get the job according to Leroy was because MM had good contacts in the game. He laughed as he said this and explained that our recent transfer activity didn't bear that out.

I often find that people like Barry Lloyd can cut through the guff and establish whether leroy is just bitter or whether he is correct on this.

apologies for taking this thread off topic.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Rangdo said:
What bizarre logic.
Its facts,the board never put there hands in zeeeeeee pockets.They heap all the so called praise,but the truth is the sale of players which may mount to 5 million has helped lots.

Reckon we are a fair few million in debt,so basicly the board spend sweet fa.

Game over:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here