Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I just wonder...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Had yesterdays trouble in and around Westminster been something along the lines of the May Day protests, or a free the streets march, or an anti-war march etc etc, how many poeple would be going on about heavy handed policing, a disgrace that they used batons, the police got what they desrved etc etc etc.

Seems to me just because the pro-hunt lobby are seen as a bunch of chinless toffs, have a lot of money and call their daughters Portia, they're fair game?

Not necessarily my opinion, just an observation.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The same thing had crossed my mind.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
pasty said:
Seems to me just because the pro-hunt lobby are seen as a bunch of chinless toffs, have a lot of money and call their daughters Portia, they're fair game?

I'm not like that and the majority I know that hunt aren't like that either. It's just I think the press don't always choose the right people to speak to and often portray the pro-hunt lot in not the best way.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
pasty said:
Had yesterdays trouble in and around Westminster been something along the lines of the May Day protests, or a free the streets march, or an anti-war march etc etc, how many poeple would be going on about heavy handed policing, a disgrace that they used batons, the police got what they desrved etc etc etc.

When i saw it on TV yesterday it reminded me of Palarse 2 years ago. People being pushed from behind and heavy-handed Met Police just hitting out!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Re: Re: I just wonder...

Bobby's Gull said:
I'm not like that and the majority I know that hunt aren't like that either. It's just I think the press don't always choose the right people to speak to and often portray the pro-hunt lot in not the best way.

Sounds like the way the press portray football fans to me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
pasty said:

Before your thread was hijacked by a moran, may I get back to your comment.

I think the police were perfectly within their rights when they showed force in the shape of a batton.

The poor police at the front looked about 19, and were bricking it. Having thousands of yobs scream and physically assulting you to more than enough justibility for the force shown.

Though I agree, had it been for another cause (anti-war) and the protestors had acted in the same way, Im no doubt the police would have been called 'heavy handed'.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I don't hunt or anything like that but nevertheless i feel banning it is a bit unfair. Just because the Labour government don't like it doesn't mean something should be banned, people should be free to do what they want, within reason or course (ie no raping and mudering etc)

I guess that means my argument revolves around what people consider is 'within reason' then.

samparish said:
I don't hunt or anything like that but nevertheless i feel banning it is a bit unfair. Just because the Labour government don't like it doesn't mean something should be banned, people should be free to do what they want, within reason or course (ie no raping and mudering etc)

I guess that means my argument revolves around what people consider is 'within reason' then.

Well, 'hunting' is one thing, but it is supposed to end humanely and be safe enough for the environment.
Fox hunting can end in front of a school playground with several dogs tearing pieces off a screaming fox, and all organised by a bunch of tossers poncing about on horses who couldn't even defend themselves or survive without a butler and a range-rover.

Ok, so I agree that foxes are savage when they get into a chicken coop, but then if you're going to build one of them to house chickens you better be responsible enough to make one that a predator like a fox cannot get into.

It's something along the lines of bullfightin or cockfighting - people in 'civilised' countries like to call those 'sports' barbaric while calling fox-hunting a classic tradition .

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
pasty said:

Hmmm I was wondering the opposite really, that if it had been something like the may day protests the press reaction/public would have been far stronger.

I also saw that someone on NSC claimed that one pro hunter tried to pin the blame on football 'enthusiasts'. What a total and utter kunt. Showing complete contempt for people they obviously look down on.

Imagine the headlines if Swampy had got into the houses of parliament:lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you watched the reports and interviews immediatly after the trouble, they where saying the police where heavy handed. But the video shows the police holding a line and not going into the crowd, so i dont really think you can call it heavy handed - you only got hit if you where at the front and didnt get back. And then there was some other incident that seems to have diverted attention...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The protestors are fighting to preserve their culture and their way of life. They form the majority in their areas and resent cultural imperialists imposing their values on them.

Now, have I posted this on the wrong thread? Surely it should be about US occupation of Tikrit?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The press reaction is dependent upon the political slant of the paper.

In The Torygraph it will be portrayed as high jinks from a few naughty chaps from the lower sixth of Eton who were a bit cheeky, and the police reaction was unnecessary. Similarly in the Mail and Express but they will personally blame Tony Blair.

The Guardian will be anti-hunt but is also anti-police, so will try to blame eveyone.

The Daily Star will picture Jordan with just a fox fur covering her bush.

I have been on a few anti hunt protests and rallies in my youth, and like all of these issues there are sensible people and twats on both sides. If I am honest, the hunt is more of a social gathering than anything else, and the murder of the fox is a sideshow to this. I am sure drag hunting or some other forms of entertainment would be an adequate substitute for this social event.

IMO hunting is unnecessary and an inefficient way of keeping the fox population low. If we saw people getting their rocks off by seeing another animal being torn limb by limb, such as a cat, by a bunch of dogs, then we would report the owners to the RSPCA and the police. If foxes are killing lambs (though the numbers quoted are an exaggeration) or chickens then shoot the buggers, rather than have twenty horses, fifty dogs and many hangers on attempting (and failing half the time) to do the job, then smearing blood of the fox over their faces before returning home to sleep with their sisters or brothers.

People in the countryside do have a different culture to those of us city dwellers. Let's face it, if we had to slaughter the meat that we eat most of us would be veggies. The Labour party was elected at the last election and banning hunting was part of their manifesto, so they do have a mandate from the electorate to vote through the new Act of Parliament.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Brovian said:
The protestors are fighting to preserve their culture and their way of life. They form the majority in their areas and resent cultural imperialists imposing their values on them.

Now, have I posted this on the wrong thread? Surely it should be about US occupation of Tikrit?

Blimey Brovian - things move on a pace. Are you saying in Tikrit they are also going against the democratic rule of law. I wasn't aware they'd even had elections.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
pasty said:

I think that's the view on this board, but I took a minute to scan through most of the papers this morning and yesterday.

They are not being seen as fair game.

The coverage is actually very slanted in their favour. I think they are getting extremely fair coverage compared to others who have demostrated in the past.

I don't use the word "biased" because I think they are getting very fair and broad coverage and their actions are not being condemned at all. Its actually been quite refreshing to read about the people involved and I have learnt a lot about their fears and why they have felt the need to demostrate in London.

The only criticism has been towards those who entered parliament, but even that is slanted against the systems than let them in rather than the individuals themselves.

Can you give an example of a recent demonstration where the newspapers and media have taken such an active interest in the lives of those involved ? I can't - I know the names, jobs and family connections of those who entered the parliament by simply reading the daily mail this morning - and I'm hearing their arguments.

I don't remember much coverage at all regarding the lives of those involved in the Poll Tax riots. I seem to remember then being described as "scum".

Why hasn't any newspaper printed mug shots of those involved yesterday on the front of their newspapers with a request to the public the catch the criminals involved?

I actually took the time to visit Whitehall and from I saw it was mainly what I guess you would describe as farm workers and labourers involved in the fighting.. and not exactly the police twatting the toffs. I didn't get very near but a saw quite a few walking away afterwards. I might be wrong.

As for anti urban feeling and understanding towards them, there was VERY little in the way of counter demostration at Whitehall and the Evening Standard in London is VERY SUPPORTIVE.

I don't agree with hunting but defend their right to protest. The media has been very defensive of that right as well.

It's a more of a complex argument that simply saying than townies don't understand. I think you'll find that we're a lot more of a mobile population than that simplistic argument.

When I was brought up in the country I found that most the people I knew and my family were anti-hunting. I think you'll find that a lot of people living in London couldn't care less about fox hunting.

Last edited:

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
in full agreement with clapham gull

been trying to get over some points like this on another thread:clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here