Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have just got a third....

110%

Unregistered User
Apr 19, 2006
GOSBTS
As others have said it will depend on what your subject is, the university etc. When I graduated there were two people who got Firsts, but that was the first time in nearly 20 years they had awarded Firsts in that subject, so getting a Desmond (which is what I got) isn't seen as too bad.

I don't think I've ever been asked to produce my degree certificate or prove my result. I've never lied on an application but it makes you wonder how many people do. Once you've got a bit of practical work experience then your degree grade doesn't make much difference.

Two girls in our year got Thirds and to be honest it didn't do them any harm. One of them got a job in Hong kong and the other got fixed up pretty quickly as well although she did later marry a rich city trader, so you never know your luck. :thumbsup:

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
F@ck it mate, i pissed around at uni, had a great laugh & walked away with a third & have blagged my way to become a systems engineer! Just going to uni gives you an edge over all the other shit munchers!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think any employer worth having is savvy to the old "dont mention your grade" trick.

In general the ability of people getting degrees has fallen off over the last 10-15 years. My old employer wanted 1st class honours and might possibly interview 2.1.

If no degree level was listed it went in the bin.

PS
The degree grade importance tapers off as you move between jobs, but for a new graduates it is paramount.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bloody Hell. I never even WENT to university - far too thick. However I used to bum around Kent Uni in the mid-late 1970s (with Attila amongst others) as it was a good social life, so I reckon I can say I used to be in Darwin College and I got a 2:2 in Economics. If anyone asks to see my Degree I'll just say I lost it or summat.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Bloody Hell. I never even WENT to university - far too thick. However I used to bum around Kent Uni in the mid-late 1970s (with Attila amongst others) as it was a good social life, so I reckon I can say I used to be in Darwin College and I got a 2:2 in Economics. If anyone asks to see my Degree I'll just say I lost it or summat.

Didn't you know there is a central database?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think any employer worth having is savvy to the old "dont mention your grade" trick.

In general the ability of people getting degrees has fallen off over the last 10-15 years. My old employer wanted 1st class honours and might possibly interview 2.1.

If no degree level was listed it went in the bin.

PS
The degree grade importance tapers off as you move between jobs, but for a new graduates it is paramount.

The ability point is an excellent one, I left school in the mid-80's when maybe 15-20% of leavers went on to higher education, many of them in Polys rather than Unis to study for non-degree subjects. We have a situation now where maybe 50% of school leavers will go into higher education, a laudable situation maybe, but does the nation need that high a proportion of the workforce as graduates. It stands to reason that Universities are nowhere near as fussy now who they admit, I suspect that many are just after filling their course rosters, it is logical to assume that the quality of graduates will tail off. As a result you will have graduates working in mundane and lowly paid roles, probably not even related to their qualification, struggling to pay off their student loans.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't you know there is a central database?
What to stop people from saying they've got degrees when they haven't? Blimey, what will they think of next? Anyway, no worries, I'll just tell 'em I changed my name.

Edit: I've read that some people refer to their degrees as a 'Desmond'. What sort of grade is a 'Dekker'?

Last edited:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
What to stop people from saying they've got degrees when they haven't? Blimey, what will they think of next? Anyway, no worries, I'll just tell 'em I changed my name.

Edit: I've read that some people refer to their degrees as a 'Desmond'. What sort of grade is a 'Dekker'?

It's a guess but Double Decker = Double First?

A third is obviously going to look worse on a CV than a 2:1 / First, but it depends on how you market yourself and the work experience you've got. A friend of mine got a third, we all took the piss obviously, but he got an office job in an furniture company and worked his way up and is now doing better than most. A third is a hinderance, but needn't be the end of everything, just means you've got to work harder and expect to wait longer to get your foot in the door.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Must be gutted. racking up endless debt and walking away with a virtually useless grade. Must be thinking "why did I bother" or "why did I not work harder"?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Must be gutted. racking up endless debt and walking away with a virtually useless grade. Must be thinking "why did I bother" or "why did I not work harder"?

Hardly. Three of the best years of your life that you'll never forget.

I miss being a student

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here