Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have found somewhere worse than Croydon

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
horley!

I just popped into there to find a newsagent and it was like walking back in time to the 50's......I have never seen so many chavs, yobs and people with hideous dress sense...Every other shop is a charity one....

It makes Croydon look like Mayfair!!!

Never again!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought the 50's was supposed to be nice.
Back then it was brylcreamTASTIC. Or so the fogeys will have us believe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't mind Croydon. I would agree with Horley and Redhill makes me want to slit my wrists.
Dave's description of Horley is spot on when he refers to 50s nature of it. The look of the car boot sale on Sundays is particularly mind numbing.

As you know, I live close to Redhill, and I think it's much maligned. Sure it has chavs aplenty, but it's market is first class for fruit & veg, it has reasonable facilities as towns go, and excellent rail communications to London & Brighton and many other places.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
horley!

I just popped into there to find a newsagent and it was like walking back in time to the 50's......I have never seen so many chavs, yobs and people with hideous dress sense...Every other shop is a charity one....

It makes Croydon look like Mayfair!!!

Never again!!

f*** off baldy, I spent most of the 90s there, it's no worse than the arsehole of Hove you come from. No way is it on a par with Croydon.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Cor
That was some reaction !

Horley is a dormitory for London and more so Gatwick. Because of it's connection to Gatwick it has a pretty transitory populace but it also does not have a large Council Estate (breeding ground for chavs) like many Sussex towns. Don't know which newsagent David went into but maybe if he took his head out of his arse he might have seen a bit more. Granted Horley is nothing special but it's not that bad either.

I'd be happy to live there again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Horley is a dormitory for London and more so Gatwick. Because of it's connection to Gatwick it has a pretty transitory populace but it also does not have a large Council Estate (breeding ground for chavs) like many Sussex towns. Don't know which newsagent David went into but maybe if he took his head out of his arse he might have seen a bit more. Granted Horley is nothing special but it's not that bad either.

I'd be happy to live there again.
He's completely wrong about the chavs, but he's right about the sleepy, 50s feel of the place IMO. And compared to some of the shithouse places in Sussex, it's perfectly acceptable.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I had the pleasure of visiting the Court lodge estate some years back and was chased by some little scrotums, I ended up hiding behind a tackle shop (hero)!
On a seperate visit I went with a girl to the Air Balloon (formally the gamebird) and was eyeballed by a group of 40 year old men with missing teeth and tattoos on their necks, I was only aout 20 at the time... cnuts!
A final note on Horley never go to the liquid lounge it's full of scum.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He's completely wrong about the chavs, but he's right about the sleepy, 50s feel of the place IMO. And compared to some of the shithouse places in Sussex, it's perfectly acceptable.

Sleepy yes, no argument there but it's a small town going nowhere. It's not unpleasant though, just not a great place for sight seeing. However, having grown up in Burgess Hill and Hassocks and been schooled in Haywards Heath I would not wnat to live there rather than Horley.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Since when were there Chav's in the 50's. We there any charity shops back then.

To be honest comparing it to today, were the 50's actually a bad time to live in

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I had the pleasure of visiting the Court lodge estate some years back and was chased by some little scrotums, I ended up hiding behind a tackle shop (hero)!
On a seperate visit I went with a girl to the Air Balloon (formally the gamebird) and was eyeballed by a group of 40 year old men with missing teeth and tattoos on their necks, I was only aout 20 at the time... cnuts!
A final note on Horley never go to the liquid lounge it's full of scum.

You live in Croydon, that rather questions your opinion for a start. (I live in the next borough and I do know what a real shithouse looks like).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hey simster - I was thinking of moving to the reigate/ redhill area, whats the meadvale/ woodhatch area like?

Woodhatch is pretty rural but the roads are quite decent. However you do get a bit of airport noise. There's a dirty great big Tescos there which makes shopping easy. The train service to London (for Horley) is good.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
f*** off baldy, I spent most of the 90s there, it's no worse than the arsehole of Hove you come from. No way is it on a par with Croydon.

Am just loving that response. Like an attack from a great white. :)fishing:)
Should someone not check if Granny is ok after falling off her chair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here